Author Topic: Our newest additions  (Read 1435 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Our newest additions
« on: April 28, 2007, 03:09:27 pm »
While it's still fresh in my mind from posting in the "zoo" thread, I thought I would introduce you to our newest family members.

Sundance (Sunny) the lighter one, and Spud (Tater), the dark guy.  They are both male rex mix rats.  Someone dropped off a litter of 8 pups, 4 male and 4 female at work with their mother.   Said he bought her pregnant which was impossible (she had been at the store long past their gestation period).  Anyway the males needed to find homes since we are a female only store (the other two males ended up going to another store and mom b/c she looks a bit well ratty, will also be adopted out)

All the dogs have met them and seem okay with them.  Keiko was a bit more interested b/c she's been chasing rats in the shed.  But she knows if it's in the house it's off limits.  Gunther wants to mother everything great and especially small so he was cool.  Nigel showed no interest at all and I think Posey thought they were a toy and was glad she wasn't the smallest one anymore.

here are a couple of pix:

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Our newest additions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:20:42 am »
Ahhh Ratties...they are very cute.
I owned a Rat names "Harry" when I was young...Great pet.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:32:56 am »
Awww, they are cute!  Many years ago I had a blue hooded whom I named Ms Brisby.  ;D   

I love ratties, they are so sweet & smart!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:53 am »
yeah, these guys are great.  I highly recommend them to anyone with small children.  They rank right up there with mice and guinea pigs b/c they're less nippy than hamsters and less jumpy than gerbils. 

Sunny, the blonde guy, I had picked out from the time they grew their hair (I've "known" them since they were the size of peanuts), he's so pretty.  Tater was my backup guy.  I had originally thought about getting one of the females, but after I asked my vet about neutering a rat and was told it was about $70 I figured 2 males would do.........lol .

Besides the other female, they were the only solid colored babies in the litter.  The others all had typical rex markings: white with solid head and usually a blotchy line down the back.  Sunny is very shy and kind of freezes when I open the cage, but is getting more comfortable.  Tater is outgoing and will usually nip (mouth) my finger looking for food.