Author Topic: Ok all big paw lovers, I need help  (Read 2089 times)

Offline newmommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Ok all big paw lovers, I need help
« on: April 29, 2007, 05:40:30 am »
with potty training.
bailey just pees and poops wherever and whenever!!
Doesnt matter if its on the wood floor, the carpet or even in her crate. The door is open all day so she has acess outside whenever she wants and I go out with her every hour, she wont pee or poop on command and instead just poops right on the floor infront of me. How should I be addressing this behavior and How can I change it???

HELP!!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Ok all big paw lovers, I need help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:45:05 am »
she's still a baby.  as big as she is she is still super young.  you can look for signs like sniffing, walking a little bow legged, acting restless, etc.  BUT with her being this young, she may not show any (she doesn't know to) and she really doesn't have control over when she has to go.  with puppies, we take them out every 30 minutes to an hour, and 10 minutes after every meal.  we take them out a LOT.  this way they get the idea they're supposed to go potty on grass not in the house.  it will take her a while though.  leaving the door open won't help b/c she doesn't know to go outside yet though.  maturing to a little older age makes a big difference and you'll see progress the whole time.  right now though, is the time to teach them and help them learn, but she will still need your guidance, etc.  just like kids, they don't get potty training in just two days, it takes physical maturity, and learning to do it.  even after she learns she will still have accidents sometimes though.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline newmommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:51:03 am »
yeah i understand this is a process and that she is young and will have accidents. I just want to know how I should acknowldge the behavior. Like when she poops or pees on the floor what exactly (besides clean it up of course) am I supposed to do??

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:53:45 am »
Take her outside and stay with her until she goes again.. then PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. it may be an hour or two and you will have to be out there with her til she goes, but do that and then let her in for a play. Then take her out again, etc etc.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Gemz

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:55:57 am »
another little tip is don't clean up the mess in front of her. she will acknowledge that place and do it again in the same spot.

Offline newmommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 06:01:52 am »
thank you all.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:37:21 am »
Get her on a schedule and bring her to where you want her to do her business.  When she does praise the h*ll out of her and reward her for her "job well done"!!  The open door thing is great when they know the appropraite place to go , but at her young age she needs to be told when and shown where.  The beauty is large dogs are typically quicker to pick up potty traiing than smaller breeds but you do have maintain some diligence regarding a fixed schedule.  This applies to when she eats as well.  Feed as close as you can to the same time 7 days a week. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet