Author Topic: Hair Loss and Limping. I need some help here!  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hair Loss and Limping. I need some help here!
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:27:12 am »
Yesterday, I answered an add in the paper for a male Dane pup (14 months old), 'free' to a good home.
When I called to see what was going on, I found out this big fawn boy belonged to a Soldier has been deployed. His friend was left in charge of finding this big guy a home.

So my husband and I decided we'd go over and meet this big hunk of love.
His temperment is wonderful! He is very typical Dane, from what I've read anyway (never owned a Dane, but do have a Pyr)

We noticed two things, automatically.

1. He limps on his left front leg. His elbow looks swollen and painful but not from injury. Now, we've delt with Pano before in our Pyr (the reason he was surrendered to our Vet last year) but I'm unsure if this is it or not. He lays heavily to one side and does not put much weight at all on that paw. I've checked between his toes for any injuries and have found none. His holds his elbow oddly. When he gets up from the floor or his bed, all his weight goes into the better leg, so basically he stands on three legs.

2. Hair loss. Tons of it is coming out in big clumps. His skin underneith is red, iritated and lots of white danderiff flakes.
I've given him a medicated bath, hoping that would help with the irritation. He isn't itching, or showing aggressive itching, at all.

He'll be going straight to the Vet tomorrow, but if any of you may have any idea what this "might" be, ... well, at least I wouldn't be imagining the worst like.."Oh god, I wonder if he has CANCER!" lol..
yes, yes, every sneeze, sniffle or burp sends me into a fit of worry.

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
Re: Hair Loss and Limping. I need some help here!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:09:40 pm »
I dont know about the limping so I am no help there.  But the skin thing sounds just like what Morph had.  At 9 months his skin started doing that and it was Demodex mange.  The vet prescribed Ivomectrin and we gave that too him for about 4 weeks.  It helped but it did not cure it.  So they switched to a Mitaban dip once a week for 5 weeks.  After the first week we could see a marked improvement.  By the 4th week it was gone but we did one more dip just to make sure.  On the first skin scraping they saw only 1 mange mite and on the second scraping when we started the mitaban they didnt see any and they were not wanting to dip him but I got kinda pushy with them and they did it.  I hope that your new boy gets to feeling better and you get a good report from the vet that it is nothing serious.  What is your boys name??? 
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:14:53 pm »
i would say check into HOD (doubtful, most pictures i seem to be seeing are extremely messed up legs) and also diet.  diet can cause poor bone growth, abnormal joint swelling and hair loss if it is bad enough.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:23:40 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:23:16 pm »
With Demodex Mange, would the Hairloss just be down his spine? So far it's just down his back, from shoulder blades to lower spine.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:30 pm »
Oh! He came with the name "Chico", but I'm just not sure it fits him right. We may change that.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:08 pm »
it says there is a type #1 demodectic mange, called localized.  so maybe it could be.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:45:53 pm »
Morphs mange was all over his back and a little bit wrapped around on to his chest and went up his neck to his face.  So pretty much all over except his stomach and his butt.  From what you have discribed it sounds just like what Morph had.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney