Author Topic: fumble's limping  (Read 58001 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: fumble's limping
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 02:25:41 am »
You guys are in my thoughts today.  Get better Fumbs..
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 02:57:33 am »
fingers and paws are crossed that Fumble is okay and starts feeling better.
I am kind of a big deal!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 03:07:01 am »
thinking about y'all and the Fumblemeister. .. hope the big guy is doing better!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 08:24:20 am »
Fumble - peek a boo I'm hiding can you find me??

How are you feeling after your vet appointment?

I hope you are on the road to recovery

Randy & Harley

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 10:10:44 am »
well.... needless to say tears were shed on the way home today (i'm a sorta emotional gal).  the vet said it looks like it's his ACL's, and that he may be blown both of them this weekend.  we are going back on friday so that i can drop him off (something i'm not happy about as a very nervous ninnY) so taht they can put him under to better look at the knees and take xrays.... i just feel so bad for him cause he seems so uncomfortable and just sad... and my fumble is never sad :(  he gave me some anti-inflammatories to give him, so hopefully taht will help take some of the pain away... the vet thinks fumble is very stoic and even if he had pain he wouldn't show it... i think it just makes me love him more to know that he doesn't want us to know that he's in pain!  so there's my update... i'll have to let you all know on friday afternoon how everything goes.  i really just want to go pick him up during the morning, or my lunch break, but i guess i should just let him stay at the vet that way when i pick him up in the afternoon, i know i can be with him to keep a watchful eye and not have to go back to work... i'm just not sure how i'll be knowing he's not safe at home!   :-\
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Nicole

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 10:21:55 am »
AW FUMBLE!

Poor kid! Good luck, we'll be thinking of you! Get better soon,ya big lug!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 10:22:38 am »
Well hopefully the additional testing and x-rays will come up with more positive results. He's young and has so much spirit, he'll get through this like a champ.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 10:49:08 am »
OHHHH!! Poor Fumble!!! Big hugs!!!

Do you give Fumble Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement?

Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:54 am »
yeah he's been taking chron/gluc since he was a little puppy... like started as soon as he good have solids, plus he takes vitamin c, a vet in CA believes that it helps with the joints, and my breeder believes in it, so i give him that stuff too... maybe i should up the dosage of the gluc/chron???
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 12:11:48 pm »
Thats good is it the one with the MSM in it, How much do you give him and how much vitC is it EsterC? (maybe it might help to up it)
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:52 pm »
I'm really sorry it's his ACL's ... and both at the same time.  but it's really a very helpful surgory!!! and it's not as horrible to get through as it sounds.  he'll be FINE!!!  if you need me to talk to you about it let me know and i'll PM you my home number.  :)  been there with Lady.  it was over before i knew it.

Icerotti

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »
Poor Fumble......bo th of them at the same time. Whata brave boy he is. Sending positive thoughts to you and Fumbs  :-*

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 01:17:31 pm »
Poor Fumble  :-\ Zoey and I are crossing our fingers and paws for a speedy recovery.

If you do need to have surgery, I really recommend going to Tufts. I think they're the best around for major issues
RIP former BPO

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 02:13:14 pm »
Oh my, we hope it is not the ACLs.  No other symptoms?  Any fever associated, like with Lymes?  Seems strange that both would go.  Why were the paws red?  Just his gait?  Cirra had an ACL partially torn last year in the snow banks.  She had more trouble after Xray exam due to the force used in translating the joint under anesthesia.  We could not bring ourselves to take her to NH for a TPLO at 13 months of age.  She has been on conservative management for a year.  So far so good! 

Hoping your vet is experienced and knows that little force is needed to assess a truly torn ACL when the dog is under sedation.  Are his knees swollen and/or hot??????  Have you checked with your breeder about the incidence of ACL tears in Fumbs breed lines?  Really would echo the need for second opinion, perhaps a holistic vet about the paw redness??  Just floating some ideas because the ACL seems quickly assumed for most rear leg limping in the giant breeds.  The TPLO is what they recommend for dogs over 100 pound with a stifle angle greater than 30 degrees.  It is MAJOR surgery, not without some serious potential repurcussions.  Having been down this road, we wish you the best on Friday and hope Fumbs comes through the Xrays without problems.  Thinking of the big guy!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 06:33:17 pm »
OH no! I am so sorry to hear that Bear's twin is in so much pain. I really hope that he is just having growing pains.  :-* We're hoping and praying for the best. Please keep us informed on the latest.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.