Author Topic: fumble's limping  (Read 58003 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: fumble's limping
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 06:06:06 am »
the vet said that on friday he will check him for lyme.  we got the vaccine, but i'm pretty sure it doens't always deter it... he did have a partial fever, like 2 degrees higher than normal.  but he didn't seem too worried... just that gait is effected... he seems like he's skipping on his legs, both of them beign affected. 

the vet didn't say anything about the knees being swollen, when i felt them they didn't seem swollen at all, and he's not showing any signs of pain.   I don't think there is any history of any knee problems in his family. 

I hope it's not the acl either!!  but i'll definatley let you guys know on friday when i get more info!  there are like 6 vets that work at the one clinic, so i'm hoping t hat he would double check with another one before making a decision.  One of the vets went to tufts university and he specializes in ortho soo.. hopefully!! 

Oh my, we hope it is not the ACLs.  No other symptoms?  Any fever associated, like with Lymes?  Seems strange that both would go.  Why were the paws red?  Just his gait?  Cirra had an ACL partially torn last year in the snow banks.  She had more trouble after Xray exam due to the force used in translating the joint under anesthesia.  We could not bring ourselves to take her to NH for a TPLO at 13 months of age.  She has been on conservative management for a year.  So far so good! 

Hoping your vet is experienced and knows that little force is needed to assess a truly torn ACL when the dog is under sedation.  Are his knees swollen and/or hot??????  Have you checked with your breeder about the incidence of ACL tears in Fumbs breed lines?  Really would echo the need for second opinion, perhaps a holistic vet about the paw redness??  Just floating some ideas because the ACL seems quickly assumed for most rear leg limping in the giant breeds.  The TPLO is what they recommend for dogs over 100 pound with a stifle angle greater than 30 degrees.  It is MAJOR surgery, not without some serious potential repurcussions.  Having been down this road, we wish you the best on Friday and hope Fumbs comes through the Xrays without problems.  Thinking of the big guy!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 06:09:34 am »
Thats good is it the one with the MSM in it, How much do you give him and how much vitC is it EsterC? (maybe it might help to up it)

the big guy takes 2000 mg of gluco and 1200 chondr plus 2000 mg of vitamin c, and a complex called megaCplus... plus he doesn't use stairs, except for the 2 short ones to get on and off the back deck!  that's it!! stacy and i think he might have hurt them when we were running on the beach last weekend...
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 07:19:44 am »
Hi,

Poor guy, I hope it is just some strain on the muscles! Take it slow with the big fella and start him on swimming!! Best excercise for the ACL problems for both skin and fur people.

Winslow and I are wishing Fumbs a speedy recovery!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Anakalia

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 07:39:15 am »
Awwww poor guy! I was just hoping his pads were hurting a bit! I'm still sending tons of positive healing vibes his way!  ;D

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 09:38:19 am »
awwwww poor Fumbs!  We are sending tons of healing vibes and positive energy... and LOTS of smooches! Feel better big guy!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2007, 10:06:33 am »
thanks everyone!!  i'll send him your love!  i took him for a ride to chatham with me to get out of the house, he saw the beach and cried a little!!  that's a great idea about hte swimming, maybe this weekend if it's warm enough!!  i'll just have to get a wet suit for that chilly atlantic ocean!  lol!!  it seems like time is going by so slow, so until friday it will seem like forevER!!  hopefully i can get on tonight and reply to everyone else's posts!  i feel like such a selfish little bpoer!!

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 10:34:56 am »
the big guy takes 2000 mg of gluco and 1200 chondr plus 2000 mg of vitamin c, and a complex called megaCplus quote]

Ok he's on a good dose of all of them ~ sorry I dont know what else to suggest!! But the swimming will really help!!
So I'm just gonna send lots of healing energy& Big Hugs to Fumble and His stressed mom :) and wish im luck on friday!!
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2007, 02:28:44 pm »
oh well this is a HUGE stinker... i just checked my insurance policy, i have VPI, and it says that it won't cover any ACL injuries within the first year of beginning the insurance... i started it in november, so i guess that means i don't qualify???  Lets just say our prayers that it's not an acl injury as previously thought!! argh!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 03:00:55 pm »
oh well this is a HUGE stinker... i just checked my insurance policy, i have VPI, and it says that it won't cover any ACL injuries within the first year of beginning the insurance... i started it in november, so i guess that means i don't qualify???  Lets just say our prayers that it's not an acl injury as previously thought!! argh!!
that stinks!!!  but that's how it sounds.  too bad too...one ACL will cost you $1200.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 12:58:28 am »
We keep thinking about Fumble.  We are not vets - however his symptoms seem to indicate that something other than two ACL injuries could and should be explored first.  The vets will say that the test will not cause an ACL injury however we believe that it can certainly make one worse.  Very little force needs to be used on a sedated dogs joint to make an assessment.  The test is not risk free.  Fortunately, one of Cirra's mom's is an experienced physical therapist and  had the knowledge to question the ACL surgery for Cirra.  Again, Cirra was still growing and her level of impairment was not that bad.  We are not saying that an ACL surgery is never needed just that it seems to be the "surgery of the day".  If you go to a surgeon - they will recommend surgery - that is what they do.  We were told Cirra would have arthritis and she does have some in that joint however she would have arthritis with the surgery.  Only time will tell.  There are a few surgeries that are available.  If surgery is recommended we would suggest investigating all options and learning as much as possible before making a decison!!!!!  It was implied to us that we were bad moms because we weren't going to subject Cirra to a high risk, $3,000 - $4,000 surgery, out of state, within a week.  We know that we are not bad mom's!!!  Obviously, every situation is different.  We learned a lot from our experiences and have lots of information about conservative management, the ACL surgeries, rehab, etc.  Let us know how thing go at the vet's on Friday.  Love to Fumble!!!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:26 am »
Hi Erin

Any news from the vet! I've been thinking about the big fella and just hope all the news is good news!!

Rich & Winslow
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 11:46:08 am »
We've been thinking about Fumble--I hope he's feeling better and that you got good news at the vet's.  Sasha and Bella send some newfie kisses! :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 01:31:26 pm »
we're definately hoping for the best for Fumble.  hope to hear from you soon.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:19 pm »
well....
the fumbs tore both acl's on his right and left hind legs... he really is bubble boy!!  the vet said that because of his size none of the 6 vets at the animal hospital will perform the surgery, i need a board certified surgeon.  apparently there is one in buzzards bay, so i'm going to call tomorrow and get some more information.  We are close to tufts and everything, but i read some info about them and their rehab and after surgery stuff seems a little bit kitchy, and i want to be around someone who's going to be able to deal with my "nervous ninnY" mom attitude!  so maybe the vet tomorrow will be able to give me some more insight.  The TPLO will hopefully help, stac and i have done some research on it today and it seems like it would be the best and most logical thing, cause hte poor guy is having some serious difficulty walking right now!!  

I will give ya all a laugh though, the vet told me taht fumble is a light weighT!! took him NOTHING to knock him out... his procedure was scheduled at 1045, and i showed up at 445 to pick him up and the vet tech was like welll i just saw him and i he could barely sit up!  i heard all of the staff calling him in the hallway, and when i went around the corner he had given up halfway and laid down on the ground!  didn't even wag his tail to see me!  too much work, ya know!?!! but.... as soon as we walked outside to get in stacy's car he had HAD to stop to pee and walk through the busheS!!  there's fumble for ya!  he planted himself in the porch for a while, and looked at the step to get into the house as though it was mt. everest, but eventually made it.  then it took forever to go outside, so i'm hoping that he will be back to his hobbly self tomorrow and not a gimp, cause otherwise i will be nervous that the procedure made it worse!  i will tell you though that i feel MUCH better knowing now what it is!  i think it was the not knowing hta tmade it worse!  

but i doooooo have to THANK ALL OF YOU!!!!  you have all be soo wonderful and understanding and helpful!  it really does help to get some info!  even if anyone has any experience with the TPLO PM me and i will respond!  i'm thriving for info right now!!!  just gotta ge tthe big guy fixed!! thank heavens for my parents too they're going to help me pay for it and then i can pay them back!!! i'm soo lucky to have them, and all of you!!! thanks again!! fumble would send kisses if he could open his mouth and tongue wasn't just hanging there!!  i'll keep everyone updated too!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:34 pm »
so sorry to hear that he has to have surgery on two legs!  poor boy!  i'd be a momma's boy too if i was him! 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]