Author Topic: halti vs. gentle leader  (Read 19588 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: halti vs. gentle leader
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 08:08:08 am »
HAHAHA! I am so picturing a dog on with pinwheel type legs just spinning around and around and the owner flying in the wind like a kite! HAHAHAHA!!!!  :D
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:56 am »
HAHAHA! I am so picturing a dog on with pinwheel type legs just spinning around and around and the owner flying in the wind like a kite! HAHAHAHA!!!!  :D

Yeah I almost got my arm ripped off a couple of times. And I've flown through the air, landed on my butt ect. She'd make a great sled dog. LOL ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:08 am »
My point being, then I will bow out of this disucssion, is that if an owner takes a coupe of training classes and actively uses the tools provided to them throughout the life of their animal, they should be good to go.  Does this mean your pooch will not eat your mini blinds, gnaw an arm off a chaise' lounge, or chew up your remote (all things that my pack has done at some time or another).  There should be little need for refresher courses if you are reinforcing good behaviors on a consistent and habitual basis. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 03:03:37 am »
when i bought axle's from petsmart, i asked for help finding a size and brand and the woman asked me if i'd like to try it out around the store for a minute.  i thought that was super nice!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:04 am »
If I do the "try it in the store" thing, I will have to wait another 5 weeks. She is still not current with her vaccines yet. Just this past week she had her 2nd set. So...yeah. I think I might just buy one at a time and take it back within the time frame given and be sure not to let her chew on the thing!!! hehe!

I can not wait until she is up to date on her shots! She can actually truly go for walks! and not just go for walks in our yard! hehe! We do go on our side walk (only because no dogs walk on THAT sidewalk! They all walk across the street!) So...I will be able to actually truly go for walks...will help me too! and I am hoping too that it will calm Peyton down too. I watch "it's me or the dogs" cuz I don't get Cesar Milan (national geographic) and she said that the main thing is to keep up with the excercize and the dog will be able to keep up with the training! and I went to the Cesar Milan site and it said basically the same hting. Exercize comes first!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 03:59:48 am »
Teddy has a GL and we used it extensively until we went back to obedience training.  He still pulled with the GL, but he couldn't pull as hard so was manageable.  Also, it sort of pushed up into his eye when he pulled - we never tried a Halti so I don't know about fit difference.

Currently we use a prong collar and very rarely does he even try to pull anymore (we got training to use it correctly and Teddy stopped pulling after the first correction - he's like a different dog!)
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!