Author Topic: Small grayish spot on dog nose?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline ketoby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Small grayish spot on dog nose?
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:27:56 am »
Hello All,
This is my first post here and I'm hoping for suggestions regarding a spot on my dog's nose.

About me and my boys: I have two big fluffy mutts named Keto and Toby (in the photo Keto is reddish and Toby is black and white).

Anyway, Keto is 4 and has always had a black nose. He seems to be a shepherd/chow type of mix (his coat and puppy pics look a lot like long haired GSD photos I've seen). About 6 weeks ago I noticed a grayish spot on his nose. It is small, maybe a bit bigger than the head of a pin? The first time I saw it I thought it was a blister - the color has that quality when on a black-nosed dog. It looks like a perfect circle.

Keto had an annual vet checkup scheduled not long after I noticed it, so I asked the vet what she thought and she responded she had never seen anything like it before and had no idea. They took a photo so we could monitor it for changes in size/shape. I need to do the same for my own records (the photo I've attached doesn't show it - it's just for fun :) ). It is still there and seems to look the same to me.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Googling didn't provide much as keywords including spot on dog nose brings a lot of hits involving dogs named spot and the typical pink/black pigmentation and associated changes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
Allie

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Small grayish spot on dog nose?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:33:25 am »
could it just be that your boy rubbed / bumped his nose, and it's healed over a different color, like a scar?  or is it a growth?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:37:39 am »
I just want to take credit for bringing this new "BPOer" here!  I'm such a snob. ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline ketoby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:41:02 am »
:) Yep, "bluskygirl" and I work together!

Anyway, it's flat - when you rub a finger over it you can't feel it. He's had scratches on his nose before, none of which scarred or left this color behind. And I guess I would expect a scar not to be a perfect circle...

I hope I can use the same shape logic on cancer, as well...

Offline ketoby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:59:01 am »
So, I looked more carefully a number of times since originally posting this and it seems very circular and is the same texture as the rest of his nose...it's just a lighter color.

I think I'll take a photo and post is since it's rather hard to describe.....

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:16:01 am »
is it possible that your pup got a little blister or something and you didn't notice it?  and that now it's just healing up?  there's a few medical causes for pigmentation, but everything i'm reading doesn't sound like your problem.  if it isn't causing any problems, i'd just chalk it up as a personality mark.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 03:31:15 am »
Morph has one of those on bottom left side of his nose.  It feels just like the rest of his nose it is just a different color.  We asked our vet about it and he said that it was nothing to worry about.  He told us that if it bothered us too much.. That is was nothing a Sharpie Marker wouldnt fix lol.  So I would just chalk it up to one of those strange things that we cant explain and leave it at that.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney