Author Topic: Help Grace is sick NEED ADVICE  (Read 5688 times)

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Help Grace is sick NEED ADVICE
« on: May 01, 2007, 03:00:30 pm »
Sunday Morning grace started throwing up - clear white bile that was kinda like a stick spider web goo.  This went on every two hours or so and she wouldn't eat or drink so I ended up taking her to vet emergency.  They gave her some fluids and did x-rays to see if there were obstructions.  The x-rays were a bit murky.

She had some diarreha after getting home, but didn't throw up when we gave her small portions of chicken and rice monday.  She also seemed more active monday night.

Today she started throwing up again (all of yesterday's food) and is very letharic, won't drink again, etc... Her stool is still basically liquid but also has that mucas quality of her bile/throw-up.

I am taking her in to the vet first thing tomorrow for blood work.  They have her on anti-naseau and anti-biotic now.

She may have ate some grass or weeds in our backyard, but I can't think of anything else she may have gotten into.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jen :-[

angelsmama

Re: Help Grace is sick NEED ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:03:06 pm »
thats what chewie was doing when he was a puppy... and he had hookworms and whipworms :( have them do a stool stample and check.. could be something completely different but.. worth the try.. hope she feels better soon

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 03:14:42 pm »
OH no poor Grace!  After she ate the chicken and rice, how long before she vomited again?  If it had been awhile and she vomited all the food and it was undigested you may need another x-ray.  I'm hoping the vet can figure out why she's been sick, keep us updated!  Get better soon Grace!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:15:32 pm »
AAWWW poor girl, and poor you, I know how upsetting this can be ~ I have no advice ~ just keeping fingers and paws crossed she feels better soon, could she have gotten into the garbage? Keep us posted ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:54:21 pm »
Sounds like Tonka a couple of months ago.  They just chalked it up to gastritis, sent us home with some anti nausea med, 2 antibiotics.  They told me not to feed Tonka until he had not thrown up for 12 hours.  He couldn't even hold down water, I had to give him an ice cube every couple of hours.  My carpet shampooer paid for itself that weekend.
Hopefully the vet tells you it is nothing serious, and she clears up with some meds.
Me and the crew will be thinking about Grace!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:51:09 pm »
It was about 16 hours after she ate, the rice came up un digested but I didn't see any of the chicken.  I am hoping it is just an upset tummy... 

She actually had a checkup a couple days before and I did a fecal which was parasite free...

thanks for the good thoughts!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:37 am »
If she had just had a check up and was perfectly fine a few days before this issue cropped up, she may have been exposed to some nasty virus while at the vet's office for her check up. 

It is also the season for the canine influenza to make the rounds again, but the first symptom of that is coughing that looks like they have something stuck in their throat that they are trying to get out, then goes to a nasty runny nose which continues for a full month, with OR without antibiotic treatment.  If he had been around other dogs within the previous 5-7 days, even if they were not showing any signs of illness at the time, that could be the culprit as well.

Weedsport, NY

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Help Grace is sick - UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 03:21:21 pm »
So Grace was at the vets all day yesterday and today getting meds and IV fluids.  The result right now is that she has a overgrowth of bacteria in her small intestines and low thyroid levels.  She still doesn't show interest in food, but they force fed her today and we will have to continue tomorrow if she doesn't eat. 

They put her on Tylan... has anyone's dog been on this?
They are also testing her for clostridium as well.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:00:24 pm by LittleGrace »

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 03:36:30 pm »
Oh poor Grace!!!  I've never heard of Tylan, but I'm sending tons of positive healing vibes her way! 

lorim2

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 03:57:19 pm »
Awww...Poor Grace...Sendin g good thoughts yalls way!  Feel better little girl!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 11:24:02 pm »
Oh poor Grace. Our prayers are with her from our end.. Please make sure to keep us posted on her recovery and possible diagnosis?? Fumble sends his drooly kisses and ear nibbles your way :) 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 02:58:08 am »
I hope Grace gets better soon. Bella and I send our good ju-ju your way...
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:27:24 am »
Hope Grace is doing better.  Sending lots of healing thoughts her way.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:25 am »
Oh I'm so sorry Grace isn't feeling well  :'(

It is so sad when our babies aren't themselves - have you gotten any update news?  Is she home with you or did you have to leave her.  I hope she is on the road to a fast recovery.