Author Topic: Fever experience- kids*Updated*  (Read 10454 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Fever experience- kids
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 01:39:10 pm »
Thank you for all that information. It's certainly good to be aware. I always worry about the seizure thing with the high fevers, that's my only concern.

After her nap, she was 102.9, feeling so hot so I gave her the Tylenol finally. She ate some dinner, but was pretty cranky acting so I gave her a bath and just put her to bed. I'm gonna wait a little while and check her to see if it's broken yet. I know with me, sometimes it takes a long time to break it. She feels a bit cooler but not a lot.

She was still playing tonight, but started to get that glazed look they get with fevers. :(

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 03:40:02 pm »
Poor baby! I am so sorry, kids can make your worry YOURSELF into sickness. Keep us posted!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 01:55:50 am »
How is she doing today? Hope all is well. TC
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 05:45:19 am »
How is she doing today? Hope all is well. TC

Well after the one dose of Tylenol at about 8 last night, her temp at 11pm was 100.7 and this morning around 11am it is 99.8, so I'm very relieved. Hope it doesn't go back up again, after that long it probably won't. Still no sign of sickness, just a bit cranky and slept in really late. Strange stuff.

Thank you for asking! :)

Anakalia

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 07:19:00 am »
I'm so glad she's feeling better!  Last night I was thinking about you and your baby girl and it dawned on me, Kenna would get a temp right before and sometimes during an ear infection.  Just thought I'd suggest that just in case her fever goes back up.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:36 am »
I'm so glad she's feeling better!  Last night I was thinking about you and your baby girl and it dawned on me, Kenna would get a temp right before and sometimes during an ear infection.  Just thought I'd suggest that just in case her fever goes back up.

Grrrrr, it did go back up. What the heck. Gave some more Tylenol since it seems it's really getting to her now. :( She's never had an ear infection but I'm keeping any eye out for any signs from her.

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:46 am »
Glad to hear she's doing better. It's horrible when our kids (skin or fur) aren't feeling well.  :'(
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Anakalia

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 08:41:39 am »
Oh no!  Poor girl.  Lukewarm baths work great like Jenn had said earlier.  Babies don't usually let you know if their ear hurts (sometimes the infection doesn't hurt at all) and sometimes they'll grab at the ear.  Just keep an eye on her, if her ear feels really warm I'd take her to the Dr. just for piece of mind.  I know if Kenna has an ear ache because I use the ear thermometer.  If one ear is 100+ degrees and the other ear is near normal I know we have problems.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 08:45:41 am »
Oh no!  Poor girl.  Lukewarm baths work great like Jenn had said earlier.  Babies don't usually let you know if their ear hurts (sometimes the infection doesn't hurt at all) and sometimes they'll grab at the ear.  Just keep an eye on her, if her ear feels really warm I'd take her to the Dr. just for piece of mind.  I know if Kenna has an ear ache because I use the ear thermometer.  If one ear is 100+ degrees and the other ear is near normal I know we have problems.

Okay, I guess I thought they usually pulled at the ear, at least that's what I always hear from my friends with babies. I was feeling her ears but now her whole head is hot. If she's still got the temp into tomorrow, I guess I'll take her in before the wknd, hate getting stuck with a sick kid on the wknds with everybody closed!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 09:23:10 am »
Oh I know how that goes , my kids always seem to get sick on the weekends ! Luckily , the clinic here is open for part of Saturday which has come in handy for me more than once !
All of my kids('cept for baby Cole *fingers crossed*) have had numerous ear infections  :-[ Only one of them ever pulled at their ear . But I KNEW they were sick , not only because of a fever but they just acted super sick . I personally wouldn't let my child go for over three days with a fever without at least calling the doctor . Our pediatrician knows I'm a worrier , I always appologize for it , and he always says to me " Hey , that's what I'm here for !" LOL But of course , my kids always have really weird things happen to them that we can never figure out (rashes etc) , and then the doctor always says " You would do this to me ,wouldn't you ?!?!" LOL  ::)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 09:28:55 am »
Oh I know how that goes , my kids always seem to get sick on the weekends ! Luckily , the clinic here is open for part of Saturday which has come in handy for me more than once !
All of my kids('cept for baby Cole *fingers crossed*) have had numerous ear infections  :-[ Only one of them ever pulled at their ear . But I KNEW they were sick , not only because of a fever but they just acted super sick . I personally wouldn't let my child go for over three days with a fever without at least calling the doctor . Our pediatrician knows I'm a worrier , I always appologize for it , and he always says to me " Hey , that's what I'm here for !" LOL But of course , my kids always have really weird things happen to them that we can never figure out (rashes etc) , and then the doctor always says " You would do this to me ,wouldn't you ?!?!" LOL  ::)

Haha, yeah tomorrow will be the 3rd day. I don't think my 2nd youngest has ever had a fever more than 3 days. I know my oldest has when she's had something nasty like Strep or the Flu or something. But it's still weird when you can't find anything wrong. Today is the first day I can tell she doesn't feel like herself. My poor little sweetie.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Fever experience- kids *Updated*
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 05:17:48 am »
Well, whoever mentioned the ear infection was right. Yesterday I noticed on more than once occasion that her left ear was warmer than her right and she would tilt her head down when I would mess with it so I had a suspicion. Her temp went up to 103.8 last night and I was so worried. She was up crying every hour and I would lay with her and nurse her. In between her waking, I would set my alarm to check on her to make sure the Tylenol was working. So needless to say, we're both exhuasted today.

Anyway, just got home with a $60 antibiotic that better work it's magic. I just want my little goose back to her normal, happy self. :'(

I don't have much experience with ear infections, how would she have gotten it? She didn't have any other sickness before or anything. Dr. said it's rare to have no other symptoms with one, but that it used to happen to her daughter all the time.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Fever experience- kids*Updated*
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 05:57:56 am »
here's a site that explains it.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Ear-Infections-Cause

i got a TON of ear infections as a child, now i have scar tissue in my ears so i can't feel them and have no idea when i get one (lucky in some ways, bad in others).  i can't remember ever being able to feel them, but i'm sure they hurt  :(  hope your baby gets better soon!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 06:25:57 am »
here's a site that explains it.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Ear-Infections-Cause

i got a TON of ear infections as a child, now i have scar tissue in my ears so i can't feel them and have no idea when i get one (lucky in some ways, bad in others).  i can't remember ever being able to feel them, but i'm sure they hurt  :(  hope your baby gets better soon!

thank you!

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 04:13:06 pm »
Just wanted to butt in and say that any time there's a fever (especially a high one) with out any other symtoms, you may want to rule out a UTI.  My daughter got a high fever when she was about a year old, and when I brought her in after about three days of fever and no other symptoms, they said "virus" and to bring her back in if it didn't go down in two days.  I asked the dr. "how do we know if it's not a kidney infection or something?"  He said, "Oh, we'd have to cath her and that's not fun...blah, blah, blah".  Anyways, it did end up being a kidney infection (we ended up finding out later that she had urinary reflux which caused it).  I just wanted to let everyone be aware of the nasty UTI's!!