Author Topic: halti vs. gentle leader  (Read 19396 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
halti vs. gentle leader
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:44:40 am »
So I was at Petsmart yesterday and I was trying to decide on if I should get a Halti or not for Peyton. But then I saw a gentle leader. Does anyone favor one over the other?! I was looking at price vs. growth.

It looks like the gentle leader can grow with Peyton more. It has that clamp that can hold the chin thing in one spot (for her small muzzle now) but still let it move so it can do it's job and still be able to function and it looks like there is no limit to how small the collar part can get.

But the Halti was almost $10 cheaper. But it almost looks like I would have to get a smaller one now and then get a bigger one later.

Also, in previous posts someone said something about getting a "goat halti" I was looking for that...and didn't find it. It's for the shorter nosed dogs right? Not the long snouted GSD types.

Anyway...pleas e get back to me on this. I want to start now so she might get used to it by the time we put her and ourselved through obidience class.
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: halti vs. gentle leader
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:32:02 am »
I am not a huge fan of the gentle leader.  A properly trained dog should not need one and I do not feel they are a great training tool. I know some people swear by them but I am not a big proponent.  If you start obedinece training with your girl soon there will be no need. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:54:31 am »
with us, axle has the shorter snout and we do have to use the goat halter for him.  the gentle leaders / halti leads just slip off his nose WAY too easy since he has a gigantic neck and a teeny tiny nose.  we have to get a bigger size for his neck but we actually need a smaller size for his nose  :-\  we only use them though when we walk multiple dogs, for single dogs or dogs in training it works great until they learn not to pull.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:56:49 am »
Grace can wiggle out of anything that is remotely head collar like.  :)  i favor the gentle leader/gentle leader like contraptions.  Haulti makes a gentle leader like thing too.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:15:49 am »
I undestand where you are coming from with the older dog and training however the context of the message was related to puppy traing and that is where I was coming from. 

I started working @ a boarding facility/ training facility when I was 13 and started formally training dogs when I was 14.  I am 38 years now and have never used a prong collar, shock collar or gentle leader and have had outstanding results with old and new dogs alike.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:32:18 am »
has anyone tried the new collar cesar milan is making?

http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/index.php?cPath=76
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 05:33:03 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:34:31 am »
has anyone tried the new collar cesar milan is making?

http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/index.php?cPath=76

OMG I was just about to ask about that collar! Too funny!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 07:11:02 am »
Julie

Why the sarcastic commments?  Is this your ususal demananor or are you having a bad day?  I do not see the value in engaging in this type of behavior but to each his/her own.   

My point is that sound training methods and some dedication to the task anyone can usually lead to success.   Some more easy than others.  People that do not have the money to properly train a dog should not be buying a dog.  It is an intergral compenent to the well being and hapiness of the dog and family.  Two rounds (4-8 classes each) of obedince training with a decent trainer should cost no more than $150.00-$300.00 dollars depending on where you live in the US.  AS far as your snide remark about becoming rich, I volunteer over 30 hours a month leading training sessions at shelters.  I have never leverage my love of animals for monetary gain and never will.   

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 07:16:43 am »
Bella has used a gentle leader because our behaviorist/trainer requires it for obedience class. I have to admit that while it worked really well for my Cattle Dog, it doesn't work as well for Bella. I think it has to do with the structure of her head. She has such a HUGE neck and a super short snout, so it is hard to get the adjustments right. That said, I typically use it for training sessions at the park when we're going over "Heal" because I have to be able to keep her in the heal position while I'm walking, and without the gentle leader she's too strong for me.  I try to only use it when we're training and when she begins to stray from her lessons. I have never tried a Halti, so I can't comment on it.  Good luck on your quest! ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:31:13 am »
My point is that sound training methods and some dedication to the task anyone can usually lead to success.   Some more easy than others.  People that do not have the money to properly train a dog should not be buying a dog.  It is an intergral compenent to the well being and hapiness of the dog and family.  Two rounds (4-8 classes each) of obedince training with a decent trainer should cost no more than $150.00-$300.00 dollars depending on where you live in the US.

not all dogs react the same to training.  just like kids, you can't expect them all to learn 100% from the same method on every dog.  and just b/c someone can't afford 100's of dollars for training doesn't mean they shouldn't have dogs.  that's awful cruel to say.  that's like saying if you can't afford private school for your kids you shouldn't have any.  filthy rich people can have dogs and treat them horribly and not provide any of the basic needs, while homeless people would give their souls away to provide properly for a stray animal they found THAT DAY.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 07:39:21 am »
Thanks for all the comments! Unfortunately I do feel the need for something more than just a regular collar. My pup is only 12 weeks old and ONLY 11-12 lbs. but she already has a major pull issue. And unlike the 105 lbs. human that commented on getting pulled...I am over 250lb. and can already FEEL the need of something more!!!
So again, thanks for your comments and advice and concerns.
I am also looking into a tracking harness. Instead of it clipping on the top back part of the collar part of the harness it clips on the bottom strap on the back. Which looks like it would control by the chest. But anyway, I will pass this info on to my boyfriend who will then make the final decission.

Thanks again!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 07:41:38 am »
There is a responsibility associate with owning a dog that is much like having kids.  I still think that an extra one time fee of $150.00-$300.00 fr a lifetime of good behaviors is cheap.  That being said...

If you can't afford private school (and lets be honest not many can) you do have the option of public school.  If you buy a dog, if you can not afford to train it, than you better get to the libray and read as much as you can and be prepared to work your and your dogs tail off so it is well behaved.  Especialy with large breed dogs.  Outside of my beloved bassette I have not owned a dog less than 125 pounds in 20 years.  A poorly trained Mastiff, Dane, Roti etc...can do a lot more damage than a poorly trained Yorkie.

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 07:48:01 am »
My point is that sound training methods and some dedication to the task anyone can usually lead to success.   Some more easy than others.  People that do not have the money to properly train a dog should not be buying a dog.  It is an intergral compenent to the well being and hapiness of the dog and family.  Two rounds (4-8 classes each) of obedince training with a decent trainer should cost no more than $150.00-$300.00 dollars depending on where you live in the US.

not all dogs react the same to training.  just like kids, you can't expect them all to learn 100% from the same method on every dog.  and just b/c someone can't afford 100's of dollars for training doesn't mean they shouldn't have dogs.  that's awful cruel to say.  that's like saying if you can't afford private school for your kids you shouldn't have any.  filthy rich people can have dogs and treat them horribly and not provide any of the basic needs, while homeless people would give their souls away to provide properly for a stray animal they found THAT DAY.

HAHAHA! I find that terribly humorous! Sorry, yeah I agree! We got our pup for $75 at the local pet shop and were not planning on getting her at all! It was totally spur of the moment! But...the whole reason why we decided we could was because I am working part time right now. Which means...I am not gone ALL day long and I can take time out and play with her and do basic training with her throughout the day. She still needs to get the rest of her shots and I can't take time out of my part time schedule so I am able to take her on my days off or...when I am scheduled later that day. I am not saying AT ALL that people who have full time jobs by any means are horrible dog owners. They are doing what works for their family, skins and furs alike!  ::) My boyfriend works about 13-15 hours a day for the summer, so he doesn't get to come home on lunch hour and let her out ya know?! We are doing what works for us. AND with that...we are also limited on moneys! Hense the reason why I was looking at the $10 cheaper Haltis rather than the $25 Gentle leaders! And the reason why we are SAVING up money to get "us" into obienence training.

Anyway, thanks for all your help! You all truely have been a blessing! I am SOOOOOO happy that I found this site!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 07:53:27 am »
$150-$300 doesn't guarantee a lifetime of good behaviors.  we routinely take refresher courses every two years, and we still have problems sometimes even WITH training at home (and yes, imagine that i know how to train dogs, and have done it for work before!).  even if you do go to classes it's not for sure that the trainer you get will have methods that your dog will respond to.  then what, go pay for another trainer?  if something works there's nothing wrong with it, esp. if it means the difference between a dog AND the owner being miserable and them being able to go out together and enjoying life together.

people do a TON of research to find out what works for them.  they don't go out and buy every single training tool on the market.  face it, people do do their research and they get what works and what their dog responds to.  professional training isn't for every dog or every person / family.  what do you think people are doing when they get the halti leads, etc?  playing a game?  no, they're training their dog with a method that works.  you're right, nothing is worst than a poorly trained giant dog, or one that needs alternative methods used with them.  except one that's not under control b/c you don't believe in training tools.

oh, large dog owners typically do have better behaved dogs, because they understand the need to control their dogs with whatever method that works.  BUT small dogs can do a lot of damage too.  didn't you hear about the baby who's toes were chewed off by the PUPPY that weighed about 10lbs?  or what about all the children who's faces are ripped off by toy breeds b/c the people thought they were "harmless."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:55:08 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 07:53:45 am »
We have a halti for Harley, she used to pull really bad on walks. I found that it worked really well. We used it for about 2 years. Now we barley need it, because she now sees us as alpha she walks beside us. I never thought that would EVER happen, but with reading training books and watching the dog whisperer we have come a long way on the training. Getting a dog to not pull and walk beside you I think is one of the hardest things ever.
I have noticed that if Harley doesn't get enough exercise, she starts to try and pull... but that's my fault :-\

One piece of advice, we tried a harness with Harley and it did not help one bit. She used her chest to pull.

Good luck.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)