Author Topic: is it just me or do Newfs think too much , lol  (Read 7375 times)

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
is it just me or do Newfs think too much , lol
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:23:22 am »
so we are at puppy class, Moose ( he's now  5 1/2 months old ) is really enjoying himself and loves puppy class cause we clicker train with SNACKIES , is doing really well most times. Last night when we had to have them sit-down-sit-down-sit-down about 10 times, after the second time Moose was starting to get the picture... after the third sit-down Moose was getting annoyed and when I tried to get him to go from down to sit a fourth time , Moose had had enough !  Until I made up my mind as to what exactly it was that I wanted, he was not going to play anymore! So he plopped on his side and that was it for this exercise.  ( of course the other pups were doing their best, happily going up-down-up-down )
Is this a Newf thing or is it just a Moose thing or an age thing ?  It makes me laugh , I've noticed with more things that himself tends to contemplate before acting . Now if I compare him to Fwirly ( Husky/shepherd cross ) , she just does things when told.  She's pretty much always done so, though of course when she was a pup her attention span was not that long. But it really seems that unless my commands make sense to Moose, this repeated silly stuff I can do myself, cause he isn't.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: is it just me or do Newfs think too much , lol
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:46:46 am »
I am not sure if it is Newf thing or not. I know it is a Pyr thing. When Rosie was in class she was good for doing something up to three times then she would just lay down, she was above the waste of her time.  Dixie and Sugar Bear start class Saturday.  I am sure they will be the same way. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:14:02 am »
Samson did the same thing in class...Someti mes he just decided to take a nap while he was lying down...lol...H e knows all of his commands but needs to see a good reason to follow them!...They recommend training Pyrs for only a few minutes a day because of this shared kind of thinking...I bet Newfies are alot like that too!

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:30:56 am »
Our trainer who has owned Newfs (and other breeds) told us that Newfs can get bored very easily.  She said when doing a training exercise such as down or sit, just do it about 3 times with a Newf because of this very problem.  She said try to focus on getting the desired result on the first or second time with them.

We have had similar results as you when we try to push our Newfs into doing an exercise a million times.  So you are not alone.  It is a Newf thing and I imagine a Pyr thing too.  In fact our trainer had a Champion Pyr and she did say the breed is very stubborn.
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:58:16 am »
Stubborn isn't the word for it!...lol...I am stubborn & Samson has me in awe of his stubbornes! :-\ ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 11:14:18 am »
OMG! You exactly described Bear at lots of time though not just when in class. When he decides he has had enough he just plops down and refuses to move. I think they are independent thinkers and when they feel they have had enough they decide to end whatever you are doing with them. Like when we are playing inside the house and I wanna keep playing but Bear decides he has had enough so he will plop on top of the toy he has and won't move to get up and won't let me have the toy anymore. I laugh and laugh all of the time at how silly he is and how much he thinks and is human like. I love him more and more everyday! So my advice is to laugh at his strong-mindedness and go with it! And remember, before you now it the puppy phase is gone....no more fluff, nor more puppy breath, and no more puppy teeth.  :(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:31:28 am »
I know it is born into Pyrs to think independently. ..They are traditionally sheep gaurdians so they would be with the sheep mostly on their own without alot of human contact...What is the background of the Newf breed?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 02:11:31 pm »
Its funny, Zoey was totally opposite from what you guys are describing. I trained with treats she loved and so she wanted to do anything to get them. I had to mix up the commands, because if i would do the same one more than twice, she would catch the pattern and do the action she thought i wanted before i even gave the command. I don't know if its a saint thing or a zoey thing, but even today if she sees something she wants the first thing she will do is sit - and if its food and that doesnt work, she will go stand in her crate hoping she'll get food for it (zoey isnt a crate fan so she got treats to lure her into it). She's so silly
RIP former BPO

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 02:40:42 pm »
we do laugh about it, as a matter of fact , Moose has us in stitches most of the time. he's just such a character !   We KNOW he's smart as a whip, but we also got the feeling that unlike Fwirly, Moose thinks things through.   I tell you, this little man has changed our lives a hundred percent, not only us adults but he has formed a special bond with all our pets , they all have their Moose moments , our 3 cats included.  He's worked his way into all our hearts, even our grumpy cat , lol. She 'tolerates' him just fine.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 03:49:14 pm »
Samson does that too...The kids will be eating & he is right next to them going through all of his "tricks" on his own & they are oblivious too it...lol...He also did the crate thing when he was younger...Go into crate, look at you like "what a good boy I am!..Treat"?...Then we'd give him one & he'd come out & do it again...lol!...He has no problem going through his commands on HIS terms...lol!

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 11:21:55 am »
Gypsy,

From what I have read from various sources Newfies have been used as a working dog and for water rescue.  They were used by fisherman to pull in fishing nets (supposedly they can pull in excess of 2,000 pounds) or jump in the water and rescue fallen over sailors.  It is thought that Newfoundlands were used by the Vikings and Leif Erickson.  In addition, it is believed that a Newfoundland was in the expedition with Lewis and Clark.  

They love to spend every moment right next to their human companions as I'm sure most Newf owners can attest to.  I once read that Newfs view themselves as being human as opposed to being an animal.  Except that the Newf embodies only what is good and pure in humans.  The world would be a better place if we all were more like Newfs.
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 11:27:08 am »
Ty Two Newfies!...I just love to know the history of the different breeds...Very interesting stuff! :)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 03:56:04 pm »
They love to spend every moment right next to their human companions as I'm sure most Newf owners can attest to.  I once read that Newfs view themselves as being human as opposed to being an animal.  Except that the Newf embodies only what is good and pure in humans.  The world would be a better place if we all were more like Newfs.

AMEN TO THAT!!  It's like we tell people, "he's not a dog, he's a Newf."  He is such a human on the inside and always wants to be doing what we're doing.  Drake thinks all the time and gives us just a few chances to reward him for the tricks he's doing or all bets are off.  He just stares at us as if to say "JUST GIVE ME THE FREAKIN' TREAT!"  Also, when he's being a bad beggar at the table, he'll legitimize it by pawing the air as if he was doing his shake trick, so we should be rewarding him.  Little Turkey!  I'm sure Pyrs, Saints and Leons are very similar to Newfs, but with their own twists.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 05:25:56 am »
 ;)

In the book by Judi Adler "Newfoundland Puppy:  Early Care, Early Training"  She states that doing one thing too many times in a row will bore a Newfie pup to tears.  She says they are newfs not dogs!!  LOL.
Anyway, I believe the suggestion is to do it three times and move on to something else.  I had the same problem with our one guy.  Three times was the max.  He'd get that look on his face of, "What are you obsessive compulsive mom?"

As far as thinking too much.  OH YA.  They think wayyyy too much.

Get this:  We have two both boys.  6 months apart.  Both are standing in front of the water bowl.  Both have stuffies in the mouth.  Neither move for the water.  They are just standing there with the stuffie in their mouth staring at the water, then each other, then back to water.  This goes on for a while and I stop and watch.  Now I know for a fact they are thirsty because they've been wrestling.  Their heads are NOT moving.  Just the eyes and eyebrows.  I watch thinking what on earth...
Finally one drops a stuffie to go for the water, and the other grabs that stuffie keeping his stuffie along with the new one and makes tracks outside with both toys. :-\

Good God. 

Robin

Offline Kennethgeller5

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 11:00:43 am »
Training a Newfie? I have had 2 (male & female) and never bothered. (Hsebreaking exepted). Both walked without a leash and came if I whistled. If I said No, would not say h*ll-0 to other dogs; cats, squirells, racoons, possums, ducks, geese & swans were a different matter those were chased.