Author Topic: shelter dogs  (Read 8434 times)

ann

shelter dogs
« on: July 14, 2005, 08:59:53 am »

i have been going back and forth about what kind of dog i want next..i was at our shelter today ,to donate some crates from our store and i walk threw the kennels..i seen so many sweet faces that just  want love and a home to call  thier own so i think my mind was made up its gonna be a shelter  dog ...
any one who has adopted can ya tell me how it was bringing an adalt  dog in your house with your current dogs .............

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: shelter dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:07:52 am »
That's great Ann!...I know you have been going back & forth about this for awhile...May I pick the dog?...lol...You know I can't offer you advise about to bring an adult dog into your house as I get the vast majority of my advise from you!...This will be one more thing that you know about & I can ask about at some point! ;D

SaraphWolf79

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 10:51:23 am »
Hiya Ann!  I got my Husky from a shelter a few months back.  My roommate already had a smaller dog, and I was a little nervous about the two meeting...but they get along great.  Thank God Nanook's personality is very docile, he isn't an aggressive dog at all.  As a matter of fact, I recently brought him down to my parents' house to meet their min pin JRock and all h*ll broke loose - not because of Nanook, but because of JRock...he straight up attacked him as soon as he saw him lol.  His attitude makes up for his size, I guess lol.  Poor Nookie just stood there while JRock tried to gnaw his leg off  :D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
I foster a lot of dogs from a shelter I volunteer for, plus I do a lot of dog sitting for friends and family.  Sometimes, adults dog won't like each other and you have to keep that in mind.  I have been lucky and only had a recent experience where a dog a was watching didn't get a long with my girl.

If you have a male, get a female, if you have female, get a male.  It is best if everyone is nuetered.  Identify the issues your current dogs have.  My female is rawhide aggressive, doesn't like dogs in her face, won't tolerate any other dog going her cage.  Rocco can go into Maia's cage, steal her rawhide, and get in her face but no other dogs can.  My male does not read other dogs body language well and continues to play and he plays rough.

Introduce your dog(s) to the possible new one outside of your home, on neutral territory.  Do the proper dog introduction things, loose leash, don't force it, etc.  Let the dogs meet a couple times before bringing the new dog into your home.  Make sure you establish each dogs own area and try to keep them out of the others.  Don't leave the dogs alone in the house, yard, anywhere for a few days to weeks to make sure that their won't be any unforseen issues. 

I think if you follow your instinct you will know if it will be a good match or not.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:02:41 am »
I have 2 shelter dogs and they get along great. The first one was 9 months and she was soooo easy to train, potty traing took a week not even and crate training was easier too. the second one was a puppy, not so easy. I think if we ever get another dog it will be an adult one, puppies are so cute but they are also soooo much work. And I just don't know if I can handle that again.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

ann

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 12:31:23 pm »

thanks guys ,i have 3 dogs now 2 males  and a female ..i just  don't know now is a  good time ,dakota is 10 years i  don't know how he would take anew  dog  and is it fair to him..our  shelter has  a mastiff mix that i can't get off my mind...help!!!!

ann

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 12:40:26 pm »
Everything Greek said was perfect! I do a lot of fostering, too and have never really had a problem. I would keep the new dog crated at first over night and when you're not home - especially if the others have the run of the house. You want to make sure the new dog knows his place in the hierarchy. Since you have so many other dogs, introduce them one at a time so no one gets overwhelmed.

I wouldn't worry about your 10 year old if he's OK with the other dogs. My 12 year old gets really excited whenever I bring a new dog home and immediately tries to hump them. It's very embarrassing, but I think he's just letting them know they are welcome, but you're not top dog, buddy.

Good luck! I'm so proud of you for choosing a rescue!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:40:32 pm »
Maybe if you helped find the dog a home you would feel good about it but not have to add another to your household if you aren't ready.  Where are you located?
Thanks,

ann

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »

there's always alot of humping in my house.i realy don't know what dog thinks he in charge its like they take turns or something..kin da funny..
Greek4 i'm in dubuque.  iowa   if ya wanna look at her she is at www.dbqhumane. org her name is alexis........ ..........

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 04:45:39 pm »
My Redtick Coonhound Gretchen was a shelter dog. I found her on petfinders. Gretchen was about 1 year old. The lady from Noah's ark brought came to my house with Gretchen to inspect it  and see if the dogs got along . I already had 2 females and 2 males. We took Gretchen and Echo who is the Alpha bitch out in the fenced backyard on leashes and let them smell each other for awhile. Then we took them off the leash Echo rode Gretchen a few times and everything was OK. Then we let the other female Grizelda out with a leash they sniffed and Griz postured a little bit. It was going pretty smooth. Then out came Mark and Dozer on leashes and they were happy to see another female (all are neutered) we took them off leash  and they sniffed and played . In the house were a few small fights just to get the pecking order in order. All in all it has gone pretty well.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 07:59:25 am »
The lady from Noah's ark brought came to my house with Gretchen to inspect it  and see if the dogs got along .

Where do you live, there is a Noah's Ark near my house in Cincinnati, Oh.
Thanks,

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 03:24:57 pm »
I just want to wish you the best of luck with everything! We just brought an adult female dobie into our home about 2 days ago and so far everything is going great.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 05:37:48 pm »
The lady from Noah's ark brought came to my house with Gretchen to inspect it  and see if the dogs got along .

Where do you live, there is a Noah's Ark near my house in Cincinnati, Oh.

I live in East Tn near Knoxville, I believe their are many different branches of Noah's Ark.The one Gretchen came from was in Talbott, TN. They were very nice and told me if it didn't work out they would take her back. She will be with us 2 years in Sept. She is a sweetheart.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:39:35 pm by K9ldy00 »
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 08:14:17 pm »
I foster for a rescue too. (Iam so excited that one I've had for over 6 weeks is finally going to meet his new owner NEXT saterday! Yay, Pimp!)

Anyways--

The nutral ground is a great idea. My home pack is four dogs, so one by one they come out to meet the new guy. I'm a little more nervious about letting the new dog off leash. Mostly for his own safty, though. There's sniffing, and they do greet, but then bringing them back into the house can set a few of them on edge. So, I usually rush the new into the tub for a bath, using the same soap that I use on all the dogs and scrubbing away that shelter smell.

I think that smell can excite the home troops and in turn that new guy could feel overwhelmed or even threatened.

If the rescue is not an emergency where I get a call and have to run out to get him or her, I'll usually bathe my pack the night before I'm scheduled to get the new one. That way, they all smell like they belong...at least somewhat. It's not perfect, but I have noticed a more relaxed transition with them all.

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 08:18:18 pm »
Oops, I forgot one more thing. While I'm in the house bathing the new guy, I let the other four romp in the backyard. They mostly get busy peeing in corners they want the new guy to know, belongs to them. By the time they come in, the new guy smells just like them..and looks remarkably cleaner and well groomed. Like a doggy makeover!