Author Topic: Of all the wierd comments...  (Read 9501 times)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Of all the wierd comments...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 01:56:19 pm »
OK, I'll admit that asking to smell a stranger's dog is a little weird, but I can kind of understand where he was coming from. I used to love smelling Oasis when he came in from outside because he smelled like fresh air and flowers.  Maybe the guy enjoyed the same thing with his dog and recently lost his dog and wanted to get that feeling back. You know, they say smell is the strongest sense linked to memory. I always bury my face in a new dog's fur when I'm allowed to pet them so I can smell them for the same reason.

Hmm... did I share too much?

Nope, not at all.  Although I really do think that it's odd to just walk up and ask to sniff someones dog, I also remember the first time I hugged a pyr after we lost our first to old age.  I saw these people with their pyr and their newf in front of a store and I stopped and petted them.  When I knelt down to pet and hug the pyr the familiar "pyr smell" reminded me so much of Cara that I started to tear up.  You're right about the power of scent.  I was really embarrassed, but they'd lost fur babies before, too and they were really, really nice.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51:55 pm »
Now, I can say--with some degree of authority, no less--that Bear smells absolutely yummy!! ;D ;D ;D

Then again, I had gotten to know him a little bit before snuggling him and getting in a few sniffs.  I agree that it is more than a bit odd to request a sniff right off the bat!
I've been wondering why people don't want to stop and smell Grace.  :)  you think it's cuz she might take their nose off? 

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 08:15:47 pm »
Welcome brother Saint!  LOL!  Saint Berdoodle - blech!

Yah, I agree, kinda weird........b ut hey, I guess it takes all kinds in the world.  Coulda been asking for a lot worse!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!