Author Topic: Raw feeding question  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Raw feeding question
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:03:02 am »
The raw food that I get for Harley is pre packaged, (called mountain Dog) made in Alberta. (Local for me)  We have started Harley on Turkey and Chicken, the meat is not ground it is in chunks. The 2 kinds that we have gotten have been with veggies and bone, and one with meat and bone only. I also feed her beef tripe and she gets 1 raw egg as well (not every day though) I am going to agg organs to her diet and other meats as well. And some bone too. She is doing great on this new diet. Just wondering if I should be adding anything else?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Raw feeding question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:43:54 am »
You should definitely add organic kelp (2 ts a week) and beef or magnesium to her diet since she is not getting any red meat right now. Raw diet requires a variety...pork, rabbit, lamb...whateve r is on sale!
I am glad she is getting better! 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:09:37 pm »
What pork and lamb bones are OK to feed???  What about any beef bones?  We are still feeding Bravo Lamb and some Bravo Chicken and raw chicken with bones.  Also we feed some Steve's.  We try to feed "natural" or organic meats which do seem more expensive.  I did get some beef pieces yesterday.  Being a vegetarian for many, many years I am not well informed about meats.  It seems that many just go for the meat that is on sale which may not be the best???  I did find some frozen "natural" whole turkeys yesterday that may ne an option.  Also the farmer's markets will be starting soon and I will be checking them out for meat sources.  Just curious what other raw feeders are doing.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:17:50 pm »
Me I'm a chicken about bones splintering but the neck bones are OK and they have a lot of meat on them. Some people also feed the ribs.  As you know I grow my own organic lamb.  Otherwise I give the big soup bones for them to gnaw on and various other asundry meats whatever is on sale.  It is hard to find organic meats and cost prohibitive if you have multiple dogs.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:04:46 pm »
What pork and lamb bones are OK to feed???  What about any beef bones?  We are still feeding Bravo Lamb and some Bravo Chicken and raw chicken with bones.  Also we feed some Steve's.  We try to feed "natural" or organic meats which do seem more expensive.  I did get some beef pieces yesterday.  Being a vegetarian for many, many years I am not well informed about meats.  It seems that many just go for the meat that is on sale which may not be the best???  I did find some frozen "natural" whole turkeys yesterday that may ne an option.  Also the farmer's markets will be starting soon and I will be checking them out for meat sources.  Just curious what other raw feeders are doing.
I feed pork necks, shoulders, tails and feet. I can not afford organic meats for myself or my dog. Maybe if I win a lottery one day...
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:18:32 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I will be adding beef to her diet as well as other meats. And more bone too.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:57 am »

If you feed strictly poultry, then you will be deficient on several nutrients, namely zinc and copper.  Chicken is extremely zinc deficient, and while turkey has more, a balanced raw diet requires red meat to work.  Beef liver is critical for copper but should only be fed in moderation - no more than 10% of the diet.

For dogs who do not do well on beef or other red meats, it becomes important to supplement these needed minerals.

It is impossible to offer more without knowing exactly what vegetables you are feeding and the exact amounts of everything.  It is the specific foods AND the quantity of those foods that determine the nutrient makeup.

Since I am not familiar with your Canadian brand - is it marketed as "complete"?  Or is is like Bravo whereby it requires several other foods and supplements to be balanced?
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:22 am »
sc trojans, and all = How do you feel about grass fed Bison (which I use quite a bit) and Venison? I use lamb a lot  but also the Bison, Deer, Wild Salmon, free range poultry, etc. along with the organic veggies. This topic is never ending and always of great interest to me.

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:54:44 am »
Interesting point! I buy or am given in bulk so it's almost always been frozen. Here's another question though. Does freezing actually kill all parasites? Now I'm thinking that the only thing that might remove the chance of parasites would be cooking at a certain temp. Reason for the question and 'new concern', is that with my horses I worm with a daily wormer and twice a year with Zimecterin Gold because certain parasites live in the soil and survive even after minus -30 or more degrees.

? ? ? ? ? Maybe this is a new topic. See what happens when you guys get my mind Whurrling? ::)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:22 am »
sc trojans, and all = How do you feel about grass fed Bison (which I use quite a bit) and Venison? I use lamb a lot  but also the Bison, Deer, Wild Salmon, free range poultry, etc. along with the organic veggies. This topic is never ending and always of great interest to me.

Grass fed Bison should be great - what a great resource to have.  Grass fed meats are the best you can provide a dog and far healthier than grain fed animals. The omega 6: omega 3 ratio in grass fed is generally 3:1 - ideal.  Whereas in grain fed beef for instance it is more like 20:1 - not good.  Free range is also ideal for the same obvious reasons - they should be eating more grasses and natural product.

Lamb is great to provide in moderation - it is very fatty and high in copper so not something to feed on a constant basis and not all dogs do well on it.  But if your's does, great.

As for game meats, like Venison, it depends on your source. As long as you are purchasing from a trusted source or a commercial means, then all good and safe. Game meats can be problematic on a raw basis however if wild and hunted without known health history - parasites have already been covered so I won't go into it. Freezing doesn't cut it on game meats. Do some searching on reliable sources for what it takes to kill various parasites and worms, such as this one:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
You'll fine that freezing works well for pork and Trichinosis - but has not proven effective for game meats. These must be cooked thoroughly if the health history and source is unknown to truly be safe and trustworthy (By the way, the freezing requirement when it is effective is several days, often as many as 14-20, to effectively kill)

Wild Salmon is good as long as it is cooked - NEVER feed raw salmon - very dangerous to dogs and potentially toxic with a fluke they carry naturally.  Freezing doesn't work on this one either.

Organic - even better - if you can swing it, go for it.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 11:01:32 pm »
Wow this is such great information.

Here is the link to the website for the food that I buy for Harley. It is recommended by our holistic vet.

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/

Let me know what you guys think.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:25 am »
Wow this is such great information.

Here is the link to the website for the food that I buy for Harley. It is recommended by our holistic vet.

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/

Let me know what you guys think.

Nina

Ahhhhh, it is Dean Ricard's food!  I know the Ricards - they are in Berners too. I never knew they were producing food though.  I would trust this food and think it looks fine.  I DID find lab analysis of their food and this appears fine too - I don't know the sources of meat so I really can't comment beyond this.  A few of their products appear balanced in that they add needed supplements, but they specify which ones are not.

A friend of mine is also up in your area and makes a great raw food if you haven't looked into it:  http://www.tolldenfarms.ca/index.htm

While I clearly have a bias here, I can offer more about Jenn's food because I know the sources, production process, and ingredients she uses so check her out as well as she provides incredible consultation and health/nutrition guidance no matter what food you choose to use (she and I do the same thing for a living).

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:05:24 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:42:33 am »
Thanks, I looked at Jenn's website, great website. And I looked at her retail locations and she is only located in Ontario.  :( I am in Alberta. But thanks for the website. Lot's of good reading and info.

Nina  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)