Author Topic: Eye Goobers... springtime allergies?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Eye Goobers... springtime allergies?
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:10:24 pm »
Bella has had this nasty eye goober in her right eye for the last couple days every time I come home. Initially I chalked it up to a foreign "entity" that her eye was trying to flush out. After several attempts to located said entity, I haven't found anything there. So, now I'm wondering if it's either an infection (and if so, where does a dog pick up an eye infection?) or irritation from springtime allergies. Anyone have any experience with this?  I suppose if it were allergies I would see goobers coming out of both eyes, huh? And just as a little back story, she rarely if ever has any eye junk since she's been on good food and usually they're black. These are large, and can sometimes have some green in them.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Eye Goobers... springtime allergies?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 02:38:05 am »
Thanks Holly. I will see what she looks like this afternoon, and if it hasn't cleared up (I'm not expecting it to unfortunately) I think I'll just schedule a vet visit to be safe.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:49:24 am »
Gracie had the same issue and it was said to have been allergies in addition to something having caused further infection.  Debris maybe that would normally not irritate the  eye too much but combined with all the pollen it made a gooey green mess in her eyes.  I had to put ointment in her eyes as well twice a day and it cleared up about 2 to 3 day's later.  Though I continued with the ointment for 7 days as recommended. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:28:19 am »
Does Bella have nice tight eyes? Libby does not and every spring she get gunk(funny that we all call it something different but mean the same thing)green/yellow/brownish and she is on a good food as well, vet said she had mild allergies, I can put tetra ointment in them or wipe with a warm cloth, with her not having a nice tight eye she is prone to irritation ~ good luck let us know what you find out
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)