Author Topic: HELP! Need help to break Anna's digging behaviour....  (Read 2914 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
HELP! Need help to break Anna's digging behaviour....
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:43:40 pm »
or I'm terrified that I'm going to have to rehome her.  Seriously. My husband becomes so angry at this behaviour that it's become a major source of fighting for us.  He just left the house with me here in tears because I'm pretty convinced if we can't find a way to stop her from digging in the backyard, I will have to find a new home for her.

They just haven't bonded either.  She is definitely my dog, and adores me.  Last night he was telling me a story that involved him needing to dance around in the kitchen a bit - and when he did, she came roaring in the kitchen barking at him.

Please help me with any training tips that you might have to stop these behaviours!  I adore this girl and want her to succeed here in our home.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Need help to break Anna's digging behaviour....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 09:01:13 pm »
I agree with Tina that your husband has to build a relationship with Anna.  When Shiner got here he had been raised in a kennel situation with female caretakers so he most definitely prefers women.  So I asked here on the board about ideas to help with the situation and got some great advice.  Michael fed, played, disciplined, and slept with Shiner.  I stayed out of it as much as possible and Shiner now loves Michael and is better overall with men.  He still loves me best but who wouldn't.   ;D

Now for the digging.  I have a friend that has a young visla.  LeLe digs all over the yard.  They started filling the holes back up with fresh LeLe poop.  I was told that it's helped with the digging.  She won't return to that spot to dig however she may move to another spot.

Hope that helps and sorry it's so long.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:14:07 pm »
I have never tried this and honestly it doesn't sound pleasent but when Gracie and I were in obedience class last wednesday another classmate was explaining how her dog too was a digger.  She was told to bury the dog's waste in the spots where she was digging.  She said it was working so far for the week she was trying that out and I thought maybe you could see if that could work for you too.  Though my first question was "did she dig in other spots then"?  Her response was no and again they had only been working on it for one week.  I do think it's important to have your husband feed the dog as well.  Take her on walks and just work with the dog in general.  I hope you find a solution to this and work it all out.  Good luck to you all.     
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:53:06 pm »
I think you have got excellent advice with having your hubby get involvrd with Anna.

Rosie is our digger here and of course Farley always feels obligated to help once the hole is started.  ::)   I have found that putting the fresh poop where they have been digging really helps. A few times she has started to dig a new place but soon gives up after the poop reappears in the holes.

Good Luck and I hope everything works out for the best.  :)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:23:20 am »
Thanks everyone.  Just to clarify - my husband does indeed spend a fair amount of time with Anna, and is primarily responsible for feeding her, walking her and stuff.  He is also the main disciplinarian for both the dogs.  I get off easy cuz I get to be the love bug.  We have to work on that too.  But I hear what you're saying about helping him to build a relationship with her, and in fact, we talked about that this morning.  He gets so angry (that's just his way - he'd never hurt her so don't worry about that) that he has to walk away and ignore her.  He was calling her "it" and "that other dog" this morning.  We did end up having a good talk about it because I broke down in tears (I am NOT good with anger of any kind) and told him I was terrified I was going to have to rehome her.  He assured me that was not going to happen, that he was willing to work with her on this, that he did in fact like her .... just didn't like her behaviour right now.  I told him that if he didn't want me to call his (and they are HIS) kids "it" and "that kid" when they broke something around the house, then he had to start referring to her by name.

And now I get to tell him he can pour her poop into a hole.  I love you guys!!! hehehe  ;)

Seriously...we will try this and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!
Sandy

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 02:26:06 am »
Good luck, we have terrible diggers too. I think this poop idea is one I'm gonna have to try also. Our yard is turning into one big hole! :-\

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 03:30:42 am »
Aww good luck with the digging.. We dont really have a big problem, its just sometimes fumble will smell something and really go to town. and i can see why its a problem because newfy's have such big paws, man they can make a huge hole in seconds!! Please let us know how everything works out!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 05:18:18 am »
I was looking online for some tips for this...I wonder is this one really works...lol

"have heard of a quite interesting method. You put socks on them when they dig! They hate it so much that they stop!"

May we borrow Anna for the week of June 18th...we are putting a pool in and I think we could save on excavation fees with Anna and Rosie.....lol  ;)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 05:30:41 am »
hehehe.....be careful what you wish for!!!  ::)
(booking Anna's flight now...)
Sandy

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 05:44:21 am »
I'm dying to know how the socks routine works.  If anyone tries it, please post.  I have visions of my pack chomping down a whole buncha socks.  ::)  ;D  We've done the dump rocks in the hole routine (like Jackie's doing) and it worked well.  We also put big rocks wherever our dog liked to dig (like by the fence).  That way whenever she started to dig, the rock would fall into the hole and stop her.  It was the only (repeat only!!!  ::)) thing that kept Cara, our first Pyr, in the yard.  She had the fastest digging feet I've seen to date and yes, she seriously tested my hubby's patience (she also dug up & ate the sprinkler system a few times).  He loved her, and we all were very sad when she died of old age at 12, but she's made our dogs since all look like little angels to him.  LOL  I am glad that things are looking up with your hubby & Anna.  Digging has a way of really getting onto husband's nerves, I found.  ;)

My favorite suggestion so far, though?  The POOL!!  LMAO  Might as well make the most of their digging instincts!  ;D  ;)   
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:36:02 am »
Thanks Holly!  What an awesome resource!
So...we tried the poop and that worked...kind of sort of.  I like the digging pit idea though.  I've printed it off and will talk to hubby about it.  My girlfriend said tonight that perhaps Anna is digging a hole for me to put my hubby in ... hmmmmm..... hehehe
Sandy