Author Topic: Freak Accident everyone read!  (Read 4871 times)

osirisdobermans

Freak Accident everyone read!
« on: July 14, 2005, 09:09:06 pm »
Well being a vet tech I see alot of sad stuff. Yesterday we had a man come in with a limp pug in his arms.. we see they kids crying and the guy says he just collasped. We tried to intabate him stick a tube down his throat to give him oxygen. It was closed up. So we had to do a tracheaotomy were were have to actuallty cut the throat to insert a breathing tube. It was no use. He was DOA. Actually he had been dead for about ten minutes. What happened was the dog was misbehaving and he put the dog in a parked camper with his kids and him and his wife went in the car to get lunch for their kids. They came back and the oldest kid said the dog was sleeping so they didnt make a fuss. Then the dad realized the dog wasn't breathing from what he can tell. The dog died from Heat Stroke in less then ten minutes.

Part II...

Well today I come to work and see a dead French Bulldog and a Boxer lying on the ground cover with dirt. Im like ok wth.. I got kinda freaked out because I wasnt expecting to see them there. What happened was The owner had the dogs tied up in the back yard for no more than 5 -10 minutes while she was vacuuming the house. She comes outside and the Black Frenchie is on the ground lying weirdly. She runs to check on him and realizes he's dead she in shock and they her other dog the female fawn boxer starts to convulse. She rushes both dogs to our clinic 5 minutes away both dogs were DOA. We took temps of the dead dogs when they came in and their temps were soo high it wouldn't read on any of the thermometer. four hours later we were doing a necropsy to see if anything else was out of place with the dogs. still four hours latter the dog that died second was 104.7 degrees still.

All three of these dogs already don't have normal breathing because of their breeds but all died only because of Heat Stoke. It is 100 degrees here in El Dorado Hills California right now.. and its 8'o'clock Pm.

Just thought I'd mention how bad heat stroke is.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Freak Accident everyone read!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:22:00 pm »
How awful!!!...TY!...Ty!...Ty!!!...I know this post will make people think twice about hot it is!...I just recently posted about how hot is too hot to walk my Pyr...I went out on a morning that I thought was o.k. & realized on the way back it was too hot for Sammy Whammy!...Never again!...5-10 minutes outside in the heat is all it takes to kill some breeds?...Wow!...I would have never known!

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:24:13 pm »
That is so sad   I have a fawn boxer put its only got like at least 93 here and we have humidity. I wont be leaving boxer outside with out a gallon and water. She can get under porch in shade for protection too. 
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:30:25 pm »
That is terrible. I hate when things like that happen to innocent doggies or human babies. Poor helpless beings!  :(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:18:13 pm »
another story.....

my neighbor had a pug named MR BIG (sound familiar lol).....he was cody's BEST friend, and then i didn't see him for about a week.  all the sudden i see my neighbor outside and she has a little black pug baby...maybe the size of a hamster LMAO.....and i was playing with him (named steve, also after S&TC character lol), and asked where big was....well... .they just hired a new child babysitter about 2 weeks before, and one day they get a frantic call at work....she put steve on the balcony, and ten minutes later when she was walking by the door, she saw him laying on his side, upon closer look, he wasn't breathing....h e had a heat stroke as well.  the babysitter killed him!  ahh! 

ever since then, i am FREAKED out!  i am GLAD GLAD GLAD that my boys have a cozy apartment to hang out in all day...and god help anyone who comes to my house and tries to put my dogs on the balcony!

sad sad stories!  thank you for sharing, although they aren't the biggest uppers ever.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:47:12 pm »
I had an accident of a similar sort with my kids guinea pigs.  I was spraying the house for bugs and put the little pigs outside so the fumes wouldn't bother them.  I put them in the shade with plenty of water and wasn't gone too long.  When I came back they were dead.  I felt soooo bad.  cried...  My kids were devestated

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 06:08:47 am »
 :( I hate to say that people all over the world do stupid things like that. I remember a woman brought her dog to work with her and left him inside her Ute (kind of like a truck) and with the windows down halfway. The dog barked all day long. It was hot for us, but I live in a very cold part of Australia so hot in summer here is high 80's to mid 90's. I still felt it was to hot to leave a dog in a car. When I went to ask at the office next to ours it turned out to be a social workers dog and I was told that they could not do anything about it that the dog was fine. I just can't understand people doing this to an animal or to a child. Now that I have 2 greyhounds I have to be very careful not just with the heat but with the cold. Right now the cold is the problem for us with nights getting to freezing and days in the high 40's to mid 50's.
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 06:18:59 am »
It is in the high 80s to low 90s here.  I know it is hot but on Saturday's my guys like to go outside and play, then sleep and come back in all day long.  At some points they are out there for 1-2 hours at a time.  They have water, the shed, shade and the deck for protection.  Do you think they are ok out there?  I can't imagine coming out and seeing one of them not moving.  I honestly think I could not go on.

Now I'm scared. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 09:35:07 am »
short faced dogs like boxers pugs frenchies, etc can not cool themselves as efficiently as longer faced breeds. Dogs have an inefficient cooling system anyway.

My dogs do not stay out if it's going to be much over 85.

I would worry about ANY boxer outdoors in heat over 90, even with water and shade.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 09:39:14 am »
Speaking of which...I was at the store the other day and over the loudspeaker you heard: "can the owner of the White (car of some kind) please get to your car...your dog needs you attention!"  Man I was mad.  Why would they, on a 95 degree day, leave their dog in the car...much less bring it with them to the store. 
I'd like to lock people like that up in their cars for an hour on a day like that.   >:(

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41:05 am »
Speaking of which...I was at the store the other day and over the loudspeaker you heard: "can the owner of the White (car of some kind) please get to your car...your dog needs you attention!"  Man I was mad.  Why would they, on a 95 degree day, leave their dog in the car...much less bring it with them to the store.  
I'd like to lock people like that up in their cars for an hour on a day like that.   >:(
That burns my butt big time!!...I have waited in parking lots for the owners of dogs that have left them in cars to come out so I can chew them a new butt while explaining to them how hot it gets in cars in the heat!!!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 11:43:05 am »
I hate hearing these stories every summer. I don't even feel guilty about not doing anything with my guys all week. 85-90 but humitiy here is about 100% - I do the heat index factor, you add the degree's, say 80 plus 90% humitity, thats 160. I don't remember if that 160 is degrees..but we don't ride.
My guys hang out under the deck, it's a lot cooler down there. Theres a concrete ledge & holes dug all over. Believe it or not they will feel cool to the touch.
Carolyn
Carolyn

SaraphWolf79

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 08:55:08 pm »
I'm having to really watch Nanook right now because of this blasted heat wave we're having.  The sweltering summer by itself takes its toll on any dog out here in the midwest, but because of his breed, it's even more complicated.  During the day he stays inside most of the time (unless I'm at work, but even on my lunches I come home and let him in to cool off for a while) And I had a breeder at petsmart tell me Huskies have a tendency to suffer heat stroke pretty easily  :-\  He recommended putting a baby pool out in the backyard for him, which I did - but of course, my dog hates the water and is terrified of even a water hose  :D