Author Topic: Curious  (Read 1579 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Curious
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:21:14 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this. I just starting volunteering in an animal rescue. Most of the dogs are very shy. Their are trainers there, but walking and playing is left up to us volunteers. I was wondering about some ideas to instill confidence, gain trust and handle the timid dogs better.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:42 pm »
One thing that really helps is to NOT reach to touch or pet the top of their heads  Instead reach under their chin to scratch and rub. Do not stare or look at them intently- in dog language this is very threatening- some dogs you need to look away or even pretend that they are not there. Also remember when you are standing up you look like a GIANT in their eyes so sit or kneel down to get them to approach. 

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Curious
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 07:26:53 pm »
Great everyone, thank you. I am normally pretty good with dogs that I do not know, I let them smell first and then yeah, rub around to under thier chin or the side of the face. I will have to load my pockets up with treats before I go, ha ha! Thats a great idea, thanks! I am really excited to be helping out there.