Author Topic: American pitbulls and other bully breeds  (Read 77129 times)

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
Re: American pitbulls and other bully breeds
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 12:41:48 am »
you should really research the breed. the media has wont put up anything good concerning a pitbull. there are so many stories where they are search and rescue, or they saved their families and even other people and pets from death. the number one drug sniffing dog in america is a pit. do you know the media has even told people who their pit saved their lives that they wouldnt publish the story saying it was a pit? tell me how is it they can be soo prejudice. please im not trying to say all pits are safe but at least educate yourself before making your decisions against them!!  :)
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 12:43:17 am »
AMEN!!!
Mommy to

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:27 am »
Very true and hopefully one that was dangerous would give some kind of warning sign before you got close enough to pet it, but I don't know.  When hubby was walking Yukon the other night a little girl ran up to him and thew her arms around him hugging him, her parents apparently looked quite concerned but quickly realized he was harmless and just enjoying the love. :)

The only Pitbull I've seen in years was at the SPCA last time I took the pups in for their shots. It was a female and the lady said she was just a baby but she didn't resemble one that was too young. She wasn't large by any means but she was WIRED, like her front feet never touched the ground that's how crazy she was and choking herself the entire time. The old man with her kept hitting her with his cane telling her to behave and settle down. The lady that had ahold of the leash would not let her get anywhere near another dog or person. She said about a thousand times that she just wanted to play and doesn't realize her size and would 'hurt our puppies'. Meanwhile Yukon was much larger than her. I had to wonder if she just didn't trust the dog, just not sure...it was kinda strange.

Then I go home and read up on them a little and how they tend to be animal agressive when they aren't raised properly and will go for the throat of a dog...that is terrifying! Like how would the other dog even stand a chance? They are all jaws. :-\

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 12:46:20 am »
AMEN!!! ;D
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 12:47:20 am »
no dog is good for everyone, but all we are saying is please dont be prejudice to a certain breed from hear say.
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 12:48:02 am »
What a beauty!!!
Mommy to

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 12:51:13 am »
This is just purely an honest question. Do you truly think there are just as many say, Golden Retriever attacks as there are Pitbull attacks and the media just never finds out or hides it from the public? Or do they just happen to be Pitbulls a lot of the time and people's fears of them grow worse thereby continuing to tarnish their reputation?

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 12:54:27 am »
Everybody is entitled to liking one breed more than another. us pit and other bully breed owners are so tired of people crossing the street because it saddens us to see our dogs face lighten up with joy thinking they are going to get attention and the people hurriedly walk away as if our dogs have leprocy. of course the whole problem started because of irresponsible owners and cruel people but really its just ignorance by those people who cross the street. I just hope one day that we are able to open peoples eyes. im not mad at you at all, just saddened. Please fight the good fight it could be your breed next! Fight BSL!
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 12:56:16 am »
I bet my pitty and your bully would have a blast together. :)
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 12:59:31 am »
there are like 20 breeds that are mistaken for pitbulls all the time. not saying that they are never pittys. ive even read how people have calle dthe news station and asked what kind of dog it was and they said they didn't know, but they said on the news a pit. i mean think about it the media puts out what people want to hear so they can get ratings. nobody cares about a labrador who bites but you hear pit and everyones like OMG!!
Mommy to

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 01:05:22 am »
Good, I'm not trying to make anyone mad I'm just trying to explain logically why I have the opinion I do. But it's nothing to be sad about either! I'm really open minded and have changed a lot of my thinking in recent years, and some of my feelings stem from having children. If I see any large or intimidating looking dog running my way, I'm gonna scoop up my babies, no two ways about it. Whether it be a Pitbull or any other big dog, and I'm not gonna apologize for making the dog or the owner feel bad, I'm just going to make sure my kids are okay first- before I know anything about the dog. And now having made the decision to bring 2 pups into our home that are going to grow to be very large dogs one day, I understand the same reaction we will get from other people, but I understand it.

People don't generally come up wanting to pet our dogs now when we walk them, they stay in their driveway just saying hi from a distance, as when we had our american eskimo people went out of their way to come down and pet her. I don't even have dogs that people recognize and know what they are. It just is what it is, and honestly doesn't bother me.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 01:16:02 am »

I personally think that many pyrs, with their guardian breeding and large size, can be more prone to attacking than a lot of other dogs. But that doesn't make me think they are all vicious.

Wow, really? Hmmmm. From what I know, Pyr attacks are a very rare occurence. But I see what you're saying. I think or hope physical agression would be their last means of defense, at least it's supposed to be, barking being the first.  But I'm sure it's totally possible for them to hurt someone that comes where they should not, then I can't blame the dog- any dog that's only doing it's job. I know when I met my pups parents they scared me, quite an intimidating presence through a fence.  She told me if she wasn't there with me and I tried to come in there, they would have taken my arm off, and I have no doubts about that.

Anyway, yeah I understand that statment.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 01:24:26 am »
The difference here is I'm not asking you guys to have something against Pitbulls. I'm merely stating my opinion and asking questions and getting slammed for it. Guess this isn't the place to do that.
Agreeing to disagree is awesome, the world would be a boring place if we all agreed. ;)

Once again, I know any dog can attack, I'm really not ignorant nor stupid.

That story on the Pyr attack was really weird and it was never even proven they were involved. I'll have to read the rest of the links.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 01:41:40 am »
mama23+pyrs2, I think we have been trying to answer your questions.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this is a pretty hot button issue, so you are also going to hear some opinions that clash with yours.  I think this has been a very civilized discussion, and we encourage that on the forum.

I don't mind opinions that clash with mine, that is what this world is about. I accept them. I don't see my opinion anywhere near accepted but being bashed and told I am ignorant and prejudice. It's easy to sit on the other side of the fence when people agree with you, very easy.

If an effort was being made to educate me rather than criticize me, I do appreciate the effort. Maybe I missed it, I'm working with pg brain over here.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 01:55:55 am »

I personally think that many pyrs, with their guardian breeding and large size, can be more prone to attacking than a lot of other dogs. But that doesn't make me think they are all vicious.

Wow, really? Hmmmm. From what I know, Pyr attacks are a very rare occurence. But I see what you're saying. I think or hope physical agression would be their last means of defense, at least it's supposed to be, barking being the first.  But I'm sure it's totally possible for them to hurt someone that comes where they should not, then I can't blame the dog- any dog that's only doing it's job. I know when I met my pups parents they scared me, quite an intimidating presence through a fence.  She told me if she wasn't there with me and I tried to come in there, they would have taken my arm off, and I have no doubts about that.

Anyway, yeah I understand that statment.

I have to disagree about Pyrs being prone to attack people. There is a huge difference in the breed purpose. Pyrs are to protect the flock, Pitbulls are to guard the property and people. Pyrs are barkers and not attackers. Anyone can enter the house with Pyr in it and do not suffer an injury. Now, try doing it with Pitbull in it! Pitbulls are wonderful companions and great guard dogs. They will go for the throat! "Truly quality companions for quality owners only!"
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)