Author Topic: American pitbulls and other bully breeds  (Read 77145 times)

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Re: American pitbulls and other bully breeds
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 05:05:48 am »
Whoops!  I'm sorry!! ::)
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 05:08:23 am »
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP

Nicole

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2007, 05:15:35 am »
I like to call them pitties cuz I think its cute. I realize that pitbull isn't a breed.  ;)

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2007, 05:19:29 am »
I like to call them pitties cuz I think its cute. I realize that pitbull isn't a breed.  ;)

Actually, I say pittie sometimes also. I have a problem with the combined "pitbull" and/or the misspelling, with two t's(pittbull or pitt bull).No problem just a pet peeve!! ;D
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2007, 05:19:37 am »
I think pitties and pibbles and the cute nicknames are fine...It's just when they are called "pitbulls" and "pittbulls" or "pitts" that it makes me a little loony!
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
www.dogguide.n et

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2007, 05:29:01 am »
Now I feel bad!  I am not the technical term gestapo or anything! I too call them "Pitties" and "Pibbles" and "lilpittipoopoo's" - I just don't like it when people think it is correct to combine the two words or call them "red nose" *groan*
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
www.dogguide.n et

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2007, 05:57:51 am »
Tammy
The answer to all of your above questions are "Yes", and then some.. I called my Brother today and we had a very long disscussion about this all.. Very good Talk, My Brother also does seminars with the local police department in our area making them aware of Pit Bulls and how to approach and handle these Dogs, Being that Most of the area the Police are in have Pit Bulls...I also called  2 of the shelters in our area.. There are a total of 16 Pit Bulls between the 2 of them, and 6 of them in the Animal control Shelter.. 4 of those 6 were taken due to other animal agression, and one of them killing a Beagle, None of these were mentioned on the news, So media does not even report half of the attacks...We also have had 2 raids in the area recently taking a total of 250 Pit Bulls, One of those homes being Michael Vick, and the other being a Woman who had a Small trailer in the country with Kennels full of Pit Bulls, My Husband is a Social Worker, and he had to work that case because there were children involved.. I think Pit Bulls are amazing Dogs when handled properly, The Problem here is with the people... I am not Bashing the Breed, I am Bashing the People who have allowed this breed to get like this... You are spending way to much time Defending the Dog... They are Not the Problem.. Deal with the people first, Then Save your Beloved Breed..

By the Way.. Here are the adds in todays paper from the classifieds in my area
PIT BULLS Male pups, 6 wks old. Female, 9 months old. Free to good home. #######  ... More

See Description
Hampton Roads, VA  N/A 6/5/2007
PIT Bull Puppies Turtlebuster Redboy Bolio $350. Call #######  ... More 

PIT BULLS 2, Blue/ Purple ribbon, razors edge for studding. Call #######.  ... More

PIT BULLS Purple ribbon, razors edge, 1 Blue, 7 whites. $200/nego. Call ######### ... More

PIT BULL PUPPIES Red Boy Bolio Turtlebuster bloodlines. $350. Call #######  ... More

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:46:14 pm by Saint Butterfly »

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2007, 06:10:28 am »
That is awesome of your brother! KUDOS!!!!

If you have a way to deal with all of the irresponsible owners PLEASE pass it on! I have cruised the areas around me with high populations of pit bulls. If I see things I don't think are kosher I report them and report them and report them, until something is done! Either the owner does the correct thing, re doghouse, water bucket, food bowl, longer tie out, new collar, whatever! I personally have purchased mentioned items and gave them to ACO to give to people I have called on. I tell them to say they are donations. I pass out the flyers for the local low cost spay neuter clinics, they also vaccinate. I copy and distribute whenever there is a rabis clinic. I post them in these areas at stores on telephone poles etc.I keep leashes in my car and attempt to give them out to pit bulls being walked on chains. Most do take them! I need to restock on my collars.

Along with the other things I do, I am not sure what else to do to help people be responsible.

Ideas anyone!!!
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2007, 06:17:01 am »
You are spending way to much time Defending the Dog... They are Not the Problem.. Deal with the people first, Then Save your Beloved Breed..

So your brother does have his dogs tested?  Does he do PennHIP or OFA? 

As for spending time defending the breed - there can NEVER be too much time spent defending a cause that you believe in.  There is never a second wasted when someone you care about is wrongfully accused of a crime.  I educate the few people that I deal with on a daily basis about APBT's and what a wonderful and misunderstood breed they are.  Reef educates the masses she meets with her wonderful character and charismatic ways.  I am not a police officer- I do not have the power to arrest those who neglect and abuse animals.  It is the job of law enforcement to stop criminal behavior.  I cannot single handedly stop dog fighting, nor can I put a halt to all of the irresponsible breeding that takes place in this country.  However I will not stop defending my dog.  What sense would it make to do so? 
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
www.dogguide.n et

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2007, 07:34:05 am »
Tammy

I think what you are doing is great, I wish there were more people with your tone, and your passion for the Pit Bull.. I think you and my Brother would make great friends..He also told me about a program that he is getting started at one of the prisons in Virginia, He will be taking some of the Pit Bulls that he has rescued, and will be training the prisoners to take care of these Dogs, He will be showing them how to Handle and Train them... I think it is an excellent Idea, and it will give some of these dogs a second Chance, and also teach some of these Prisoners how to Love an Animal...I respect all of you who Love your Breed of Dog, I share that same passion for the Saint Bernard... We all have our Match,.. I have enjoyed this discussion today.. It has made my Day a little bit different.. Change is always good..
Best Wishes to you all, and good luck to those of you on a Mission to save the Pit Bull.

Shell

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2007, 09:48:05 am »
Hello Again everybody

I was going to sign off of this Forum, But tonight my house is quiet, and I thought I might share with you all why I feel the Way I feel from my own experience. I realize in stating some of my opinions that none of you know who I am, and that I may have seemed like some Random Person Spouting off about Pit Bulls, So I will Share with you some of My thoughts that Had started from about 15 years ago.

I know that some of you may be annoyed by the dots in my writing, But i choose to use them as an expression of my tone... If that makes any sense.

OK. So here is My Story, Well some of it, because I have a really long Story, as I am sure many of you have as well.

I grew up on an Indian Reservation In Montana, Pit Bulls were very foreign to me... I never saw one as a Child, And never really heard of them either..... There were Wolf Dogs, as someone had mentioned in a previous Post... They were pretty scary Dogs, But were actually very common.

When I was a Teenager my Mother graduated from College, and moved my Two Sister my Brother, and Myself to Virginia... We started off living in a Low Class area..... Very different then what we were used to.... There were Many Pit Bulls in the Area... A dog that none of us had ever seen before.... They were very Scary looking, and most of them were not friendly at all.... Most of the young Thug Kids always had one on a chain walking it around trying to look tough.

In the Alley behind our house is where everyone would gather at night to have Dog fights.... Pit Bull fights... It was a contest to see who had the toughest Dog... It was a horrifying thing to Watch... It often replays in my head how awful it was.... Sometimes Dogs would Kill other Dogs..... People would cheer when it would happen....It was very Sad.. In the area where we lived it was very common to see a Pit Bull running loose, and if there was you better have ran in the house. It was very hard to get animal control out there, Because it was a Low class area, and it was the least of their worries... There were also many Dog attacks on People and Small Children.... They were never mentioned on the news, Again because of the Area we were in.. The Media does not tell you about these places.... It is a Big Secret....So Yes the Media is able to say what they want to, and it is not that they are lying, but they do not tell the Whole truth....So needless to say it was a very scary thing to deal with there..

I remember a Time when i went to the South Bronx with my Brother, and we were stuck in a High rise for two days, because there was a Pit Bull Loose in the Hallway....Sim ular kind of crowd there who uses their Dogs as status symbols.

Well, Back to this story..... My Brother had a Friend... His name was Harold....Haro ld was also an owner of a Pit Bull..... Harold was a very good Guy.... He was very good to his Dog... Of course I was terrified of it, because all of the other ones I had seen were very mean... Well, One day four Car loads of guys pulled up to Harolds house to start some trouble while my Brother was there.... My Brother was young at the Time, and had gotten involved in some silly gang stuff, Well it had came back to bite him in the Butt..... These guys Jumped my brother and Harold in the Yard... They were brutally beating them... I had ran down the road, and jumped on top of my Brother while he was being beat with a Pipe.... Harolds Girlfriend who was in the house opened the Door to let out Harolds Dog..... That Dog ran around attacking every one of those guys, and sent them all running like crazy..... That Dog knew exactly who was Bad, because it never even came near me or my Brother....Tha t Dog had saved all of our lives.

Unfortunately Harold was Shot and Killed later on that night.... Very Sad story, So I do know that not all Pit Bulls are bad... I will be eternally grateful to that Dog, and I will always remember that day until I die.

That is the reason my Brother has such a passion for the Pit Bull now when he is a grown man, And he is trying to protect the Breed from being in these kinds of Areas...... Please believe me when I say that it really is a Big problem there..... Many children in these areas are killed everyday by one of these dogs.... That is true.... You will not hear about them all, Because the Media does not care about the poor people.... People in these areas are terrified in some cases to leave their homes in fear of a loose dog...... It is a huge Problem, and people don't want to hear about it.

I truly understand why you all Love the Pit Bull so much, But please know that all people are not like you with their Dogs.....They are being used as weapons in the projects.... They are a Status symbol there.... Also remember that Lower class areas are like being in two different worlds.

I am grown up now, and I am far from that place... Now I live out in the country, and I did have an odd incident where a Pit Bull did charge my Yard a few weeks ago..... His owner is a very arrogant Man... Just moved here from the City.... He is also a very irresponsible man..... His Dog is a perfect reflection of him.

My Children and I usually go to the Shelter about once a Week.. It is like a Zoo for us.. There is not much to do where we live... My Heart always breaks for those Pit Bulls I see with scars on their faces... I know what they went through to get them... It is even sadder when I go back the next week to find out that they have been put down....It is a constant cycle here.

I respect you all For loving this Breed.... But please try to make people aware how in the wrong hands this Dog can be like a Loaded Gun.... They need to be banned from these areas... Not because the Dog is Bad, But because the People are misusing them, and many people are getting hurt or killed.... It is not the Dogs Fault.... I Blame the people, But Pit Bull Lovers know what this Dog can Do, and it may take all of you to make a difference.

There is a lot that goes on in other areas that some of you may not be aware of, but I promise you it is all true... I have seen it for many years, And I am glad to be away from there, But I do feel for those people who are living like that today, Because it has not changed much.

My Brother still goes down into those areas today, and he saves Pit Bulls from these people.....To be Honest my Brother has taken many of them off of chains, and has taken them Home.... He is like the Pit Bull Whisperer  ;)   He is Brave I do know that, because I would be scared to death to do that, But he does, and I admire the way he has dedicated most of his Life to these dogs.

His Children help him in raising his dogs, but he will not let them around the ones he has rescued... He knows they are very unpredictable with all they have been through, But he still tries to save them, and I think he is wonderful for doing it.

Well, I realize this is very Long, and if you made it to the bottom without scanning over it then I thankyou.... One last thing before I end this.... Everything I said can go for any Dog of Any Breed..Not just the Pit Bull, But in this case it is the Pit Bull we are talking about.

Kind regards to you all My friends
Shell
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:17:17 pm by Saint Butterfly »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2007, 11:24:33 am »
Awww Shell , what a touching story  :'( Your brother is so awesome for helping those dogs out to this day ! I was saved by a dog as well (only I was being attacked by another dog) so I totally know how you feel .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2007, 11:39:46 pm »
Julie

I love the Analogy you used with the Water.. It was Perfect ;)

Cheers
Shell

Nicole

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2007, 04:20:54 am »
Shell,
We clearly share the same opinions on these dogs. My response to you was (albeit) confrontationa l because I felt as if you were assuming that we just defend the breed and not condemn the idiots that own them and create the monster.

We are. All of us. Every day. I appreciate the story and I could share mine, too. We all come (like Julie said) from different backgrounds. I actually live in a ghettoish kinda area. There are TONS of pitties around here and clearly tons of idiots. I'm always trying to teach someone SOMETHING about responsible dog ownership.

I hope that you can stick around and learn about us, too. We're a group of people with enormous hearts and teacher's souls. We teach, learn, love and share daily. You'll see.  ;D

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2007, 04:43:28 am »
Nicole
I enjoyed our debate
I send you Kind Regards... Thankyou ;)

Shell