Author Topic: Why do puppies fall over all the time  (Read 16484 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Why do puppies fall over all the time
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:33:51 am »
I've had other breeds of puppies and they never fell over, but these guys fall on their faces at the slightest nudge, why? Since I haven't had giant breeds, I assume it has something to do with their size but that's just a guess. I'm certain they won't do this when they're older, or they wouldn't be so great at guarding anything. :P It's really funny and kinda sad at the same time hahaha.

Just curious as to the reason, do/did yours do that?

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why do puppies fall over all the time
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:39:06 am »
Yes Gracie did and yes sometimes she still does being that she's only 10 months though not as much.  I'm not sure what the exact reason for this is but my previous Great Dane was clumsy just as well.  I'm going to guess that it's all that weight and not quite mastering the motor skills (as they are babies) may have something to do with it.  Just a guess...  I personally think it's funny..  Poor clumsy babies..
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:58:10 am »
i have to agree that it's probably due to growth.  they grow so fast, they must not have enough time to really get good sometimes before something else changes.  kind of like if you wear shoes that fit you one week and the next week they're two sizes too big.  you'd be clumsy.  axle was always breaking something b/c he was so clumsy.  diesel is forever tripping over his own feet ha ha.  i know axle grew out of it once he stopped growing. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:59 am »
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I guess I just naturally figured that since all puppies grow fast, they would all be clumsy but bigger breeds do have more weight on top of it so that connects.  I feel so bad for them, I'm always accidentally knocking somebody flat, but if it's not me they do it by themselves, haha. Thanks for the input. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:35:32 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:29:51 pm »
Ive actually read about this, its the same with why teenage boys tend o be so clumsy. Their limbs are growing faster than their brains register it so they tend to trip, fall over or knock over things a lot more.  :)
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:45:20 pm »
Ive actually read about this, its the same with why teenage boys tend o be so clumsy. Their limbs are growing faster than their brains register it so they tend to trip, fall over or knock over things a lot more.  :)

what's hubby's excuse? ::)

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:20 pm »
 :D :Dlol dunno, whats MY excuse??? I trip over all the time :D
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:48:42 am »
 :D HMMM! Elvis turned 3 in Feb and he still falls on his face now and again! LOL
He's prancing across the yard, I call him to me and in mid stride he'll loose his footing and fall face down! He get's up shakes it off, looks at me as if "I meant to do that :P"
What a graceful boy!
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 04:31:17 am »
:D HMMM! Elvis turned 3 in Feb and he still falls on his face now and again! LOL
He's prancing across the yard, I call him to me and in mid stride he'll loose his footing and fall face down! He get's up shakes it off, looks at me as if "I meant to do that :P"
What a graceful boy!

lol that's adorable, i can totally see that. mine have gotten a bit better. you can't knock them over very easily anymore since they're bigger and heavier but if they turn a corner too sharply, down they go lol.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:25:12 am »
That's so funny- Binky was the clumbsiest puppy EVER!  Wait, she's still a klutz!  I don't know if it's a Pyr specific thing or a big dog in general thing, but poor Binky is always bumping into things, tripping, etc.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 01:40:09 pm »
I have to agree with everyone else about the body growing faster than their brain can handle LOL  But, there are some, who are just born clutzes.  Maple's one of those :)  And, it doesn't help her that Woody was extremely agile from the time he was a pup, and she'd trip and fall all over the place trying to keep up with him LOL
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids