Author Topic: OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails  (Read 6837 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 05:05:01 pm »
I wish I could give you good advice here, but I can't really. Zoey hates having her nails done too. She didn't used to mind - I would give her a frosty paws and she would happily slurp it up while I cut all of her toenails. But lately has been a different story all together. Now, as soon as she sees the nail clippers she will run and try to hide from me until I have her cornered, and then she will put up a h*ll of a struggle. I asked the vet the other week if she had any advice on how to solve this new problem, and all she could suggest to me was to have someone else help hold zoey while I clip.

Someone suggested rescue remedy. That's an excellent suggestion.

The other thing I would do is to desensitize her to the sight of the cutters.

I would make sure she sees the cutters at EVERY meal time. I might buy a whole bunch of them and put them in a pattern around her food bowl, and put treats on each one.

Make sure the clippers are present at as many positive experiences for her as possible.

Stroke her body with them, feed her treats off of them, etc.

If you will do this in 10 days time she will be over her sight aversion to the cutters.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 08:06:20 pm »
We are brushing Samsons back half tonight...By "we" I mean myself & my 6 ft. 4 in., 225 lb. hubby & it takes both of us to do it as Samson hates having anything behind his back hips brushed...He doesn't like it...it takes two people...We have tried everything & that's just the way it is!...If my vet suggested & spoke to me like yours did I would suggest something I can't post here...lol...I'd find a new vet too!!