Author Topic: OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails  (Read 6790 times)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:15:42 am »
Hi there,

we have been working on this for months.  But no matter how many treats we give her, no matter how much we play with her feet with no cutting, Day-z will not let us cut her toenails.  She has always hated her feet being touched, but now, given that she is a big strong girl we just cannot get her to let us cut her toenails.

So, other than taking her to the vets to be done, which is fine but they only can do it by having 3 people hold her down, what do people suggest.

We bought a Dremmel and that is no better.

It is her paws being touched that she hates.

Thanks

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: OK, what do i do, Day-z will not let me cut her toenails
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:29:31 am »
Here is how I do it.

First, I start with the dog ON a grooming table and securely noosed. It's much better if you have a helper.

Standing at the head of the dog, show the dremel, let her sniff it, and immediately treat. These treats should be something especially yummy such as tiny cheese squares, or small pieces of cooked chicken, beef, or liver. Something REALLY yummy.

As soon as she sniffs or touches the dremel with her nose, treat, and say GOOD.

Next, pick up one front paw, touch the dremel to the foot, and treat. It does not have to be a long touch. Just pick up, touch, treat. Do each foot the same way, and take the dog off the table. Reward again.

Do this each day, twice if possible, until you can handle each foot and touch it with the dremel not running. Each touch with the dremel means a treat. When the dog is comfy with all this, and not until, go to step 2.

Step 2, let the dog sniff the dremel. give a MOUTHFUL of treats. Step back, turn ON the dremel, treat some more.

Touch each foot and treat while you hold the dremel in your OTHER hand. Do this until the dog ignores the running dremel.

Next, touch the dremel to the foot, while it's running, but not with the sanding barrel, just the body of the dremel. touch, treat. touch, treat. Ignore any struggles, etc. Touch and treat until you can touch with the dremel running with no problem.

Contineu with this desensitizing treatment until you can touch each toenail with the dremel.

You must be CAREFUL with a dremel. You can get a very nice nail, but they heat up FAST, you may only make 2 SHORT passes on a nail before you must go ot the next one so that the nail does not get too hot. This is very painful if it happens and can undo all your good work.

While I"m doing this desensitizatio n therapy, I do not console the dog if it misbehaves. I speak firmly, and I tolerate no growling, snapping, grabbing, etc. This is one reason I keep the dog noosed, because some dogs WILL bite during nail trimming.

This is another EXCELLENT REASON to teach body handling when puppies are very young.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:33:12 am »
I'll have to try that sniffing thing. 
Gracey doesn't stuggle when we cut her nails.  Lady does...so I sit on her and she can't wiggle. 
We only have the manual clippers so it's more or less a quick snip here and there and it's all over. 

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 09:56:59 am »
I think I got lucky.  I started the nail clipping with frequent treats when they were pups.  Maia began to struggle with it around 6 months but I kept it up and she is fine now.  I just keep the clippers out and get a couple nails at a time every few days.  If I wanted I could get them all at once and be done but I have such a short attention span as soon as I get down on the floor, I think about vacumning, dusting, or that weird smell coming from the carpet.

I wish you all the luck in the world.  I know you can do it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 10:18:17 am »
I handled the heck out of Samson's paws, ears, & mouth as soon as he came to live with us...He doesn't mind any of it at all but when I try to cut his nails you'd think I was the devil!!!...I can play with his paws & nails (we play this little piggy...lol) & I can actually touch & play with everyone of his teeth...He just lies there while I clean is ears...No problem but get the clippers out & IT'S ON!!!!!!!!!!!...I did two of his dewclaws yesterday before he said NO WAY NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Today I'll do 2 more claws...If you just do a little at a time it might help her & desensatize her at the same time...Don't forget the treats & praise & it might help to do it when she is really relaxed...Spen d some time talking to her & petting her 1st to establish a "flow" between you both...Good luck!

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 01:11:46 pm »
Hi there,

well, we shall give it another go this weekend.

From her being a baby we have tried this.  We can clean her ears, her teeth, wash her face, wipe her eyes etc, etc

Paws are a different thing altogether.

Dremmel, treats and i will try again.

Will report back on Monday.

Thanks everyone

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 01:13:08 pm »
Good luck!

I'm sure dogs are like people.  I don't like people touching my feet.   I had to get a pedicure for a wedding I was in once.  It was the gift from the bride to the bridesmaids.  It stressed me out so much, I got upset stomach.  I can't handle someone touching my feet.  It's freaky to me.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 01:47:14 pm »
I wish I could give you good advice here, but I can't really. Zoey hates having her nails done too. She didn't used to mind - I would give her a frosty paws and she would happily slurp it up while I cut all of her toenails. But lately has been a different story all together. Now, as soon as she sees the nail clippers she will run and try to hide from me until I have her cornered, and then she will put up a h*ll of a struggle. I asked the vet the other week if she had any advice on how to solve this new problem, and all she could suggest to me was to have someone else help hold zoey while I clip.
RIP former BPO

Offline MagicsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 02:38:56 pm »
First, try Rescue Remedy!  Works most of the time.  It relieves the anxiety.  (Find it at your local health food or natural pet food store, and place a few drops on your hands and pet your dog down with it) You can also purchase some safe and mild herbal sedatives, like Tranquility Blend by Animals Apawthecary. I know many people don't believe in sedatives. Valarian (which is in Tranquility Blend) iis mild, and as long as it is used periodically, like when doing nails, it won't hurt them. I used it in very low amounts to do my Newfie, just to ease us both, and now I don't need anything. I just don't see the reason to stress everyone out over nails!  :)
Sincerely,
Lori & Magic
email:  Magic@PetEmpawrium.com
High Country Newfoundland Club & Rescue:
www.highcountr ynewfs.com

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:18:14 pm »
Ok.  Mark and I have this down to a science now.  Simple.  This is a two man job.  One of us could never do it alone.  We get maxwell in a sit and one of us clips his nails while the other is stuffing milkbones in his mouth.  You see, my Max is really into food and milkbones are the only thing to distract him.  He can't eat and fuss at the same time.  Speed is of the essence.  We can get all nails doen in less than 5 minutes.  Maybe closer to 2.

ann

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 04:35:18 pm »

dakota is good about his nails i can do his easy but the boxers a differant story just last week madie split a nail way up so she had to go to the vet so i had them cut all them back scout i can do one at a time so it might take me a week to do all his....would it help if you took your dog outside and tied him up ,i know if you take options away from them they do better ..good luck

ann

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 08:11:38 am »
OK, here is the update.....  We are just back from a $20, "difficult nail cut" at the vets.

Rescue Remedy was tried, and much as she loved taking it - it did not work.

It took 2 of them at the vets, which was hardly a surprise, but they gave me a lecture that annoyed me on how she should let people get her to do anything they ask and imagine if she learned that she could really get her way if she was vicious.  I am really annoyed by this as she has never shown any signs of aggression and she is a big girl who hates getting her nails cut.   Think I am looking for another place to take her from now on.

She is the most loving dog i have ever met, sure if she was vicious she would be a problem, but she isn't.  grrr

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 08:35:32 am »
I hate lectures at the vet. 
She is just a little fussy is all.  I've had small dogs who put up more of a fight about nails cutting...and they treat us like we're big dog owners with little dog personalities.   

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 11:18:23 am »
It took 2 of them at the vets, which was hardly a surprise, but they gave me a lecture that annoyed me on how she should let people get her to do anything they ask and imagine if she learned that she could really get her way if she was vicious. I am really annoyed by this as she has never shown any signs of aggression and she is a big girl who hates getting her nails cut. Think I am looking for another place to take her from now on.

I would look for another vet too. It sounds to me like they don't have much experience with saints. There are very few dogs will will put up with 'anything you ask'; the difference is that with big dogs it's just more obvious when they don't like something. When Zoey had to get a skin scrap on her tail the other week is took three of us and two tries, and the vet didn't try to talk down to me;, bcecause they realized that they were doing something painful to a dog the size of a full grown adult and of course she wasn't going to stand like a statue.
RIP former BPO

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 11:51:54 am »
My akita also despised anyone touching her feet. We, as a family, started a routine of touching her feet, toes and toenails nearly every time we cuddled with her (nothing dramatic, just touching, holding and petting). Of course, she resisted the nasty feet-touching interaction, but eventually, she got use to it. She still doesn't like for me to clip her nails, but at least she tolerates it now. :)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret