Author Topic: Dog seat belts  (Read 6326 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Dog seat belts
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:48:06 am »
Do they work? 
And will Teddy even fit in the back seat of a vehicle? :o

I have a serious BF and he also has 2 kids.  That makes 6 of us altogether plus Teddy is 7, so I'm considering trading in my 5 passenger Buick Rendevous for the 7 passenger version (needs to be done if we ever all want to go somewhere together!! LOL!!)

Will he even fit in there with all those kids?  LOL!  Will the seatbelt keep him from jumping all over them - or just how do they work?

Any help/experience from big families with big dogs is appreciated!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Dog seat belts
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:31:27 am »
I'm also a big fan of them. Most EU countries they are the law. I agree with Jen on the benefit of the furkids not trying to get in my lap.
I must add on a serious note, it saved Elvis's life on the autobahn when an accident happened in front of us and Kevin slammed on the brakes! The only thing that kept Elvis from going into the windshield was his harness seatbelt. We use them faithfully. Be sure to use only with a harness.

As for Teddy fitting...well, you may have to count him as 2 when you add everyone up ;D
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:37:30 am »
We purchased the Ruff Rider as well.  They have a deal for puppies, if you purchase it and say that it is for a puppy they will give you 10% off the next size or 20% if you send the old one back.  We decided to go with the ruff rider because it was crash test rated; it is the only one on the market that is.  We got Maddax the Roadie LX it has padding, but with all his hair and it getting warm he gets to hot.  I think the next time we are going to get the roadie elite.  

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:38 am »
UHG! That's a good point Stella. Our nieghbor has a Volvo wagon that has a gate seperating the cargo area where her dog rides. That may be an option.
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 07:28:10 am »
Love the post, then I tried to imagine Jake in a seat belt... Usually if I take him anywhere, he rides in the back seat of the truck. However out here where we live- I often jump into the Mazda truck and it is not a extended cab, Jake crawls into the front seat, passenger side and tries his best to keep from knocking the rear view mirror all over the place. We rarely go more than 3- 4 miles and lot of that is not even on roads. I seriously need to get a big dog friendly vehicle at some point in my life.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:15:19 pm »
He he he, I'm picturing the poor kid (most likely mine because I wouldn't subject his to it) that has to sit in the back seat beside "Slobberpuss"!  LOL!!!!!

Do you ever have any trouble sizing the big guys?  Does the XL fit our giants OK?

The gate in the cargo area does work well, but....I doubt its ability to hold back a large dog if I had to stop suddenly.  I think the seatbelt harness is probably a much safer alternative.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:35 pm »
We have a VW Beetle and a Cane Corso, Zita,  who likes to ride in the car.  When the back seat is folded down, there is access to the two clips that hold the seat up.  I took some chain, quick clips, and lots of swivels and made a crosstie with a piece that attaches to Zita's harness.  She has enough slack in the tie to sit, stand, turn around, and lie down. 

Once she has tried to chew her harness, and then learned not to, she will get the type seen in the pictures above.  So far she hasn't thought to chew it, but our Vizsla could chew through anything in minutes, so I am waiting with a cheap harness.

My experience with the dog fences inside the car is that sudden braking will bring them, and the dog, into the front seat. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua