Author Topic: Temprement change in my Bullmastiff  (Read 24370 times)

Offline Beavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Temprement change in my Bullmastiff
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:57:43 am »
Hello all...
   This is my first visit to your board and I'm looking for info regarding my Bullmastiff's change in temperment.  Until two years of age he was the most loveable brute you could imagine.  Wanted to be hugged by anyone and everyone. Loved children especially.  He has never been mistreated by anyone and is in excellent health.  In the past few months he has begun snarling and lunging at adults and children alike and although he could have bitten them, he hasn't. He remains loving and loyal to my girlfriend and me but has become very grouchy with almost everyone else. He has lived in the house since he was ten weeks old and not penned or chained outside.
   I love this dog with my heart and soul but I fear some day he will bite someone and the responsibility and liability ane becoming overwhelming.  Does anyone know if this is a common trait in the breed and/or if it can be changed?  Any help will be appreciated.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Temprement change in my Bullmastiff
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:04:41 pm »
I would strongly recommend you do 2 things:

1) consult your veterinarian and have a full checkup done on the dog, including a complete blood panel, thyroid function test, and urinalysis.

If he has a clean bill of health, you should then

2) consult a good trainer in your area.

If your dog is not neutered, consider having that done.

I have a few questions:

Where exactly does this dog sleep?

Do you feed on a schedule or leave food down all the time?

What name brand food are you feeding?

Has the dog had any formal training?

Does he bump your hand or have other methods of demanding your attention?

Does he charge doors, or push ahead of you going down hallways, up or down stairways, or through doorways?

Does he pull on the leash?

Does he mouth you or put his teeth on you, your clothing or the leash at any time?

Has he ever (EVER) growled at you over food, toys, or other objects?

Has he ever growled at your during any sort of body handling or correction?

Is he aggressive towards other adult male dogs?
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

nickerbokker

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 12:15:13 pm »
i dont know about the mastiff.....bu t from the hand bump down...angus does all those things.  and on top of it he tried to eat me last night.  grand huh?

Offline Beavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:19:05 pm »
Thanx for responding.... He has routine visits to the vet and is in good health.  He has Purina dry dog chow available any time he wants it and gets the occasional can of alpo just for a treat. If he wants to go out he will gently take my wrist in his mouth to let me know.  He's done this since he was a puppy.  He's never growled at me or my girlfriend in anger, just a few playful rumbles when playing tug of war.  He often tugs on the lead to investigate a new smell but never charges forward at any time.  No formal training and not neutered.

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 12:33:49 pm »
I expect you have a young male intact dog who has decided he is a big boy now and that he can (and is) intimidating anyone he wishes to.

I would change some things in his life immediately.

First on his list would be some lost testicles. I would neuter him immediately. I mean like Monday.

Second, take up the food. YOU feed the dog at set times during the day. Not only is this healthier for the dog, it puts YOU in charge of one of his main survival resources: food.

Next, NEVER allow the dog to use his teeth on you. Ever.

I would strongly recommend you seek out a trainer in your area immediately and sign up for a schedule of classes.

I think your dog needs an attitue adjustment, and here is how to give it to him in a non-violent way:

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm

I urge you to take prompt action to deal with the problems with your dog before he DOES hurt someone, or decides he is going to intimidate YOU.

Good luck.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline Beavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:39:45 pm »
Thanks for your help!!!  I've considered having him neutered and will have that done asap!! Also will take your other suggestions.  I think you're right,  he does seem like he feels he's a big boy now.  Thanx again and much appreciated.

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:45:03 pm »
Good luck with him, it sounds like a fixable problem to me if you just take action and do the right things.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:46:33 pm »

First on his list would be some lost testicles. I would neuter him immediately. I mean like Monday.

Great advise Red!!!...I was having the same kind of problem with Samson some months back & knew I had to nip it immediately!...Though he was already neutered & had been through 2 puppy training coarses he was getting WAY to big for his britches!...He would even charge me outside when I took him out to potty...Just to add before I put food down for Samson he has to sit & wait...same as before we go out the door for anything...The dogs mind set has to be that WE are alpha dog...When Samson exibits any unwanted behaivor we correct him & seperate him from us for a time out...Eventual ly he learns that unwanted behaivor gets him seperated from his "pack"...I must say that the classes the kids & I took him to made all the difference in the world!

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 12:53:25 pm »
that's what they were bred for ,,,,,,,,,,but i'd have him checked out by a vet  mabey he is sick, or hurting

he still should be nice to his loving family

hope all goes well
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 01:53:45 pm »
I don't know what that means when they charge the bathroom door.  Grace wants to be in the bathroom with me too...so when you find a name for it...let me know cuz Gracey has it too.

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 02:08:11 pm »
Great advice!  I'm going to print it out to keep on hand if I ever
get a male dog!  Wow Redyre you are awesome! 
  What about lowering
the protein level in the food? or switching from Purina to a different
source of protein, like fish? Or something without corn.  and I agree free-feeding must have him thinking he's the king.  Cesar Millan has
a great show on National Geographic about dogs.  He'd know what
to do!   If I lived in LA I'd consult with him! I love how dogs wear
their feelings right out there where we can see them. 
I think my two dogs are really fond of each other! 

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 03:47:58 pm »
Maybe separation anxiety...I know Strider hates it when I am in the bathroom and shut the door. I'm sure he thinks the toilet goblin is going to eat me alive and he will not be there to protect me.
Stella
PS Merlin could care less if a whole legion of toilet goblins attacked, as long as it didn't disturb his nap LOL

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 11:51:52 pm »
i dont know about the mastiff.....bu t from the hand bump down...angus does all those things.  and on top of it he tried to eat me last night.  grand huh?

Nicker..... Why did poor Wangus want to eat you? Was he hungry? lol....... It may sound wicked but I love that dog, he is the cutest little st. ever, but I guess having mom for dinner is a no no.....

Red.... Real good advice, and on the breed subject, I have bullmastiffs too, one of my males, who no longer is with us, was a bit too "sharp" too. We had to work hard to break him out of that. Bullmastiffs have a little tendency to act the way you describe your male is doing, I guess it is the bulldog in them. Having gone through almost the same scenario with a bullmastiff male, I know what you are going through, and it is scary, when your ever loving puppy grows up to a rather mean dog. We managed to get Hercules to straighten out, hopefully you will too. It wasnt easy, but hang in there.

One question, does he usually carry his tail in a high position? like over back high? That is very typical for especially bullmastiff males who have a bit too much "ego".

Good Luck and please let us know how things are going. It would also be real nice to see a pic of your boy.

Marit

what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 11:56:00 pm »
Nicker..... Why did poor Wangus want to eat you? Was he hungry? lol....... It may sound wicked but I love that dog, he is the cutest little st. ever, but I guess having mom for dinner is a no no.....

i gave him a bone to chew on, and when i went to pet him, he got stiff, so i said screw it and went to take the bone...didn't go over well.  he snapped, growled, and grabbing it harder....sinc e that just doesn't work for me...i went to put him in his bed, and he didn't like that either, so he snapped at me and growled AGAIN....then, once in there, (he took the bone cuz i wasn't reaching in his mouth to take it out at that point, i dont care if it was wrong, i would have lost a limb)....cody walked by and he growled/barked with hair standing up. 

so he spent the rest of the night in there.  i didn't care.

he's mean!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 12:11:06 am »
I dont blame you for not sticking your hand in there, way too many big teeth. And you know some dogs have issues, it can be hard to work with, one thing that came to mind about Wangus, is that he lost his mom straight away when born, you got him early and he has the hip problems and is not yet filled out and is on the small side, so maybe he without anyone really thinking about it, has been babied, I know I probably would, God knows I baby Galahad (at least hubby thinks I do) So maybe now when he is getting to be more grown up and thinks he can climb the ladder, it will take some work, he has always been the little baby not having to really do much to please mommy, just looking pretty has done it.

Good Luck though, and tell him, he cant be eating his mom, aunt marit will be mad at him, she needs his mom to talk to.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog