Author Topic: Spay and Neuter Question  (Read 9704 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Spay and Neuter Question
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 09:40:27 pm »
Thanks for relating your experience, yikes. I'm sure I would have lost what's left of my sanity. I definitely dont'want to go through that, no thanks!!! It didn't sound like fun for poor Bubba either. :o Their crates would be the only place to seperate them here and oh lord, I can imagine what damage he would to do himself trying to get out of there, ha. Our house is very small, it would be an absolute nightmare here.

Good luck on getting Bubba neutered! :P

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:27 pm »
I thought I would just throw my 2cents in also.  I had Kaila spayed a day after Cinder was spayed and it was the best decision I made.  Granted they are both females but they were down the same amount of time.  Kaila is the only one of my dogs that has ever developed spay incontinence and she was spayed before she was a year old and before her first heat cycle.  Cinder was spayed after her 1st heat and she was over a year old.  My other female dogs have all been spayed younger than a year and before their first heat cycles.  Kaila is on Proin for her incontinence and it's working great on controlling it.  She gets 1/2 tablet every other day and the only problem we had was that the pills made her lose weight but now that they are on Innova Evo she has gained weight and looks great.  I know that you said you were concerned about incontinence and I hope this helps. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 10:37:23 pm »
Kristina, if you really are concerned about incontinence then go after Yukon first! (sorry Yukon!) OR you can throw "paper, scissors...roc k" Just a thought  ???

But seriously, if you wait until pups are 10 or so months everybody will be happy. After all, we can't protect our babies from everything. It seems like if you worry about one thing, then something else comes up...and so on!   
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:22 am »
Kristina, if you really are concerned about incontinence then go after Yukon first! (sorry Yukon!) OR you can throw "paper, scissors...roc k" Just a thought  ???

But seriously, if you wait until pups are 10 or so months everybody will be happy. After all, we can't protect our babies from everything. It seems like if you worry about one thing, then something else comes up...and so on!   

Yeah, true. Well I don't know what I'll do now. Just think on it some more I guess and wait a bit longer than I had planned. I still need to find them a good vet anyway.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 04:47:55 am »

I kinda have to agree.  There is always so much to consider with these choices, but certainly if you alter just one of them (for now), that will resolve the big worry of an unplanned (and very inbred) litter.  Also, if you can wait a little longer to spay/neuter that will give the pups a little more time to grow and more time for you to get to know your new vet better.  Then maybe if you like the vet, you'll feel more comfortable with what he or she advises, by then too.  Just a thought.  I can certainly understand how with 3 children and a baby on the way and two big puppies, the very last thing that you want right now is a wildly hormonal pair of dogs that want to mate.  AGH!!!   ;D  ::) LOL!  Don't worry, I know that you'll make the best decision for your family (fur and skin alike).   :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 05:14:49 am »

I kinda have to agree.  There is always so much to consider with these choices, but certainly if you alter just one of them (for now), that will resolve the big worry of an unplanned (and very inbred) litter.  Also, if you can wait a little longer to spay/neuter that will give the pups a little more time to grow and more time for you to get to know your new vet better.  Then maybe if you like the vet, you'll feel more comfortable with what he or she advises, by then too.  Just a thought.  I can certainly understand how with 3 children and a baby on the way and two big puppies, the very last thing that you want right now is a wildly hormonal pair of dogs that want to mate.  AGH!!!   ;D  ::) LOL!  Don't worry, I know that you'll make the best decision for your family (fur and skin alike).   :)

Lol, that is definitely playing a big part in my mind. Being 9 months pregnant then,  I won't even try to pretend I can handle 2 HUGE puppies going at eachother.

Nicole

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 05:27:34 am »
I just want to say that this thread has been really interesting. I've NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER thought twice about spaying and neutering ANY dog that has passed through my doors. I've learned a lot in this thread about the pros and cons. (Never even really considered cons)I guess I now have a new dog thing to learn about.

I think that Holly may have said this...either in this thread or another, can't remember...but we all have biases. And like Holly, mine is that I've been on the front-lines of rescue for years. So, in my mind, its completely selfish to NOT spay or neuter. But that is my bias, I'm willing to accept it. I'm not used to people being GOOD dog parents. I mean, you all are, OF COURSE, but in my town, most people SUCK at being a dog parent. So, IMHO, every single last one of them should spay and neuter. I don't know if this is making sense...I'm saying this is a whole new world to me. ACL injuries, spay incontinence, etc. I have more to learn.

Thanks for this thread, guys.  :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 05:34:49 am »
Kristina, that's exactly what I was envisioning. LOL!!  I totally sympathize!!   ;)  ;D

Nicole, I've learned a lot from this thread, too.  Thanks everyone!  :) 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees