Author Topic: Shed some light on the wonderful Cane Corso breed  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Freya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Shed some light on the wonderful Cane Corso breed
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:25:38 am »
Hello all, my name is Nicole and I am hoping that you can shed some light on the wonderful breed of the Cane Corso for me.

My fiance and I had the pleasure of fostering a 4 month old Cane Corso female. After having her for only a few days we fell in love with the breed, she was extremely smart, sweet, calm, affectionate (with everyone), and was wonderful with other dogs. As we live in the city and are very social, she had a lot of exposure to people and dogs, and was never aggressive, etc.

The question I have is now that we discovered this breed, and love them (and having had to let go of our foster baby to a new home). We would love to get a Cane Corso of our own at some point soon. I have been doing significant research online looking at breeders, reading articles, blogs, etc. and I keep getting such conflicting information. Some people say that they are the best breed ever, and reiterate all my experience with our foster baby. Yet others say they are dominant, aggressive, and can never be trusted with other dogs or children, even known for attacking their owners.

I do know that every breed has good and bad, and that dogs personalities stem from their experience and early exposure, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could please give me your knowledge and experience with this breed.

We are not worried about training, as my fiance has dog training experience, and we are both very dedicated people to our pets, I just want to be assured that with training, exposure, and love that these dogs can be sweet to all people and animals.

I really appreciate any and all knowledge anyone can give me,
Thank you,
Nicole Mata

P.S. If you could also let me know if there are any GOOD breeders in the NY, PA, or surrounding areas I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Shed some light on the wonderful Cane Corso breed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:02:24 am »
Hi Nicole, I don't have any experience with CC's but I want to welcome you and applaud you for the research that you are doing and for fostering a rescue!  ;D  Good for you!!  Katie has given you some excellent advice and the only thing that I can add is to suggest that before you choose a breeder that you specifically check with the breed rescue coordinater that is closest to your breeder to ask if that breeder has a good reputation with rescue.  We bought a wonderful Pyr puppy 4 yrs ago from a very well known breeder, she was a member of the GPCA, with many champions, etc.  After our poor girl developed cancer and died at 3 yrs old we were told by the local GP rescue person that our dog's breeder refuses to pull her dogs from rescue, pay their fees, etc. & also that this breeder has had a lot of cancer in her bloodlines.  Now I won't ever buy a puppy again without checking out the breeder's reputation with rescue.  If a breeder won't even rescue puppies from their breeding, that speaks volumes!!!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:28:52 am »
Thanks Katie and I agree, rescue is a wonderful way to go!!!  I just spoke with our local Pyr rescue person yesterday and in the last month she's found new homes for 6 Pyrs including 2 puppies.  I am amazed by the number of pure bred dogs & puppies (many of whom were very expensive puppies) that end up in shelters and in rescue.  We've adopted 2 rescues this year and we're extremely happy with our new family members.
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:59:11 am »
I really wanted a Cane Corso before, when I came upon them they sounded like exactly what we wanted. They are so neat looking too. Unfortunately I'd have to do a lot of saving up to afford one! We wanted a puppy because we have small children and didn't think I'd have much success finding one of those in rescue.

Some day I'd love to have a rescue dog though, if you could find one I agree that would be wonderful! Good luck on your search!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:31:22 am »
When we first started to consider a rescue we sort of thought that there would be few dogs available that were pure bred, young and healthy.  Nothing could have been farther from the truth!  I know that Pyrs are more common than CC's but unfortunately, there is a universal truth that too many people buy cute little puppies with huge feet and still stupidly assume that they won't get "that big".  Breed rescues are full of these big puppies and young dogs that someone thought would be tiny forever.  I'm not against buying from breeders at all.  Our first 2 pyrs came from breeders (& the first breeder was great).  Someday we may want to show a dog and if so, we'll go through a breeder again.  If what you want though is a wonderful buddy and the marvelous feeling of knowing that you saved someone, then rescue can't be beat!  Another bonus, is that they usually come home to you already spayed/neutered, vaccines UTD, house trained and the adoption fee is very reasonable.  Just a thought.....
Marie

And my pups: