Retrievers > Labrador Retriever Discussions

Puppy Control

(1/3) > >>

Toblersmom:
Hi everyone,

I am a new member and just looking for some advice with my lab. 

First, let me introduce my puppies - I have a beagle, Baby 2 1/2 yrs-small for a beagle and a black lab, Tobler 2 1/2 years and big for a lab.

They both are full of energy and sometimes are hard to control, especially Tobler because he weighs about 100 lbs.  When I take him for a walk he basically walks me and it is so embarrassing when I can't control him in front of people.  He needs exercise but I dread walk time even though I know he loves it.  The last straw is tonight when I tried to walk him and we came across a stray dog - I didn't know what to do because Tobler freaked out and I was scared and didn't know what either was going to do. He knocked me over and the neighbor came to help -great way to meet your neighbor-on your back!!!! anyway I finally dragged him in the house.
Tobler is really friendly and basically has a puppy mentality- but he is misunderstood because of his size.

Does anyone have any suggestions- I will try anything,

Thanks,
Kimberlee
AKA toblersmom

Duramax:
hi! welcome to bpo! ull have to get some pics up of your pups so i can see em  :D
max likes to pull when he gets excited too, its not that he's disobedient, he just gets so excited that he gets all goofey forgets. never let your dog pull you period. he knows when he's leading you, and he knows that you are letting him lead, what i do with max is this: when he begins to pull, just stop walking. it'll take much patience, repetativeness, and consistence. tobler knows right now that when he pulls you follow, it's kindof a rule right? so retrain him that when he pulls you stop. when he stops pulling or gets bored then continue walking, now max would begin to pull almost right off the bat the first fiew days every time and we'd have to stop and do all over again, only going a fiew steps at a time. but he's learned, also a vocal command to heel, or back. i'm sure that you'll get quite a fiew ideas from bpo'ers pick what you think will work best for u and your dog, keep us updated, and good luck!   

Toblersmom:
Thanks for the suggestions and I have tried stopping once the pulling begins and have walked about 10 steps within an hour - frustrating :D - i guess consistent stops will eventually help - we live in Las Vegas and now that the temperature is rising we have to go waling at night - so I can't spend as much time waiting for him - I know I have to do it, we'll both be happier ;D

thanks again
will post some pics soon

Duramax:
that tecnique is very time consuming because your pup is going to make sure that his tug on the leash will have the same effect every time, if he gets away with it just once....then he'll know to keep trying because it was eventualy worth it. it does take big patience and time, but is worth it to have them be mannerley on a leash. i once heard that for a dog to have a command or "lesson" imprinted in his memory permanently, it must be repeated every day for 42 days in a row....i think that is in my puppy training book accualy...i dont know where that thing went, but i remember reading that and thinking 'max we got along way to go'

bluskygirl:
I have also had good luck with Gentle Leader.  There are many options. Welcome to BPO, I am Angeleen and I own a 10 month old Saint.  I have trained Bella to heal and not to pull, but when we see another dog coming (especially if it's one of her park friends) all training usually goes right out the door.  ;) Do some research on all the options out there (harnesses, different collars, etc) and find one that will work for you. You'll be amazed at the difference. Also, once the dog gets used to it, I think it makes them realize that you are in control not them and that seems to help in other areas as well.

Good luck! And do post some pics!!! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version