Author Topic: Newbie with a Newfie :)  (Read 9933 times)

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Newbie with a Newfie :)
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:49:57 am »
Hi everyone!

My name is Rachel and i recently adopted a Newfoundland puppy! His name is Beau...french for "Handsome", and he's now 4months old!

He is such an amazing pup; my family and i have never owned breeds other than German Shepherds and labradors (labs were a long time ago though!).

I'm researching as much as possible but it's always different talking to someone who owns one, and i was lucky enough to come across this site... so i'm hoping to make some friends and also get some more info and training/swimming teaching tips! :)

I'm not sure if anyone would like to hear Beau's story, so if you're interested please post me a msg and i'll go right into it but as a first message post from me i don't want this to get too long or too boring for y'all out there!  :D

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon!

Rache, the Newbie with a Newfie!
"There is no such thing as a Bad Dog..."

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with a Newfie :)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:53:16 am »
yes do tell story and post pics!!! welcome to bpo, there's lots of newfies around here, u'll be able to get alot of advice and experience ;D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:16:02 am »
Wow! That was one heck of a quick reply, was expecting something like tomorrow!!  ;D But this is great i sure ain't complaining! :)

Ok, Beau's story: I volunteer at the dog shelter like 3 times a week, it's a non-euthanize shelther so they are always in need of people to help walk and play with the dogs. So one day i went into the farthest recesses of the shelter, and in a pen i see a new mother toy-breed and her puppies, and this odd-teddy-bear-looking little black blob wagging his tail but barking his head off at me...When he raised his head and i looked into his big brown eyes i thought to myself "daaaaaaarrn... " (we have 3 dogs already). I knew i was hooked. At first i thought he was some sort of labrador-mix, and i noticed that he had an extremely bad limp.

I went straight over to one of the ladies who've been at the shelter for longer and asked her about him. She told me that he'd been hit by a car and left for dead at the side of the road. He was in the back with the new mother because he was recovering from the operation on his leg...Now, at first everyone said no when i hinted about adopting him.. But every time i'd go to the shelter i'd see him wag his little tail at me with such enthusiasm, and when i'd take him out of the cage he'd just sit in my arms and sigh, and wine and pine after i'd leave, but i did notice he was limping very badly, and mentioned several times to the admnistration. .. So after about 2 weeks of pining and whining, i came home from work to find that my mom and fiancee had brought him home, adopted him to surprise me :) :) Needless to say it made my day...

Now, the first night he was with us, i noticed that his leg was really bad, my mom also noticed.. We took him to the vet (same one who performed the first op on him..) and he was shocked. His leg, somehow, had rebroken in the same 3places, and the damage was not new, it was about 2 weeks old, so it had happened at the shelter! Anyway, Beau went through another 5hr operation, and the doctor only gave him a 50% recovery, saying that he'd probably limp very badly for the rest of his life... Not that i or mom cared...

Beau has now been with us for a month and a week exactly, and his last vets visit, the vet gave him an 80% recovery and was thrilled with Beau's progress!!! :) We mentioned that we'd like to teach him how to swim, and he said if we can do that then he'll recover up to 95%...

Now Beau is doing excellently, running and jumping and chasing balls and giving mom and i h*ll but we're loving it... And that's his story, starts sad but ends happily :)

I have to go, but i'm really looking forward to talking and meeting the people and pets on this site, and i will post pics as soon as i get my cam back in order! I can't again say how thrilled i am to be on this site dedicated to the dogs with the big paws! :)

Talk soon!!

Rache.. xxxxxxx

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:23:45 am »
that is very sad, i just adopted a lab mix from the shelter a fiew weeks ago. i dont know his story but 'good for you' for adopting from a shelter! funny how things work out like that isnt it? ment to be huh. keep us updated with his leg improovement and post pics!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 07:52:44 am »
Hi & welcome Rachael & Beau!!!
what a wonderful story and its so great you adopted him!!
please post pics!!
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:05:00 am »
Awwwwww, I have goosebumps from Beau's story.  Bless you for adopting him and making certain that he had the surgery and care that he needs!!  I just know that he'll be your very best buddy.  I can't wait to see him!  Yes, please post pics when you can.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »
PS. I absolutely LOVE the pics you guys have of your dogs! Cute as babies covered in chocolate! :):):)

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:18:04 pm »
Welcome Beau sounds like an amazing dog.  It sounds like you are helping him on his way to a near full recovery.  Keep us updated on Beau's progress.  And pictures please I am sure that Beau is a handsome fellow and I can't wait to see him!!

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »
Thanks! I've already taken some photo's of him and Rocky (the 2 of them are inseperable, i think that Rocky is Beau's role-model!) :) , however i left the cameras USB at my fiancees place so will get around to fishing it back hopefully this weekend! :)

Bernese Mountain Dogs, wow, she is such a cutie but she's gonna be one heck of a BIG cutie when she gets bigger! :)

Thanks again for such a warm welcome! xxx

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 08:33:29 pm »
Welcome Rachel and Beau!  He sounds like his rocky start in life landed him in a home full of love.  Can't wait to see pictures!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:08 am »
Hello and welcome!  What a beautiful story of compassion and rescuing a dog in need.  He sounds very attached to your family already.

My name is Chris, and my crew consists of Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther, a great dane, and Nigel and Posey, two rat terriers

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:56:01 pm »
Hey there Chris and Sandy!

Pleased to meet y'all! Hopefully tonight i'll get around to uploading some photo's of Beau and the others! :) Beau is a little funny looking now as his back leg where he had the accident was all shaved off and now is growing back so he's all fluffy on one side and kind of flat on the other only adds to his cuteness! :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 02:42:38 am »
ooh we are soo happy to have you here! :)  God knows that BPO has changed my life!  :)  Beaus story is soo great, you were his meant to be mommy!!   ;D  Tell beau that he's not the only one with a shaved leg! fumble is there too!!  i met a bernease mountain dog the other day and she said it took him about 6 weeks to really grow back! I cannot wait to see pictures of your baby!  and I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Oh by the way! i'm eiren, and my sister is stacy, and i own a 2 year old (in july) newfie, Fumble.  He's a giant compared to other newfies his age, but he's definately a big goof ball, the typical newF!  if you have any questions feel free to PM us! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 01:42:42 am »
Welcome to BPO Rachel and Beau! (Hey that rhymes...LOL!)  I'm Stephanie, proud mom to a 4 month old Newfie, also my first one.  Since our pups are the same age, I probably can't give much advice, but we'll be experiencing the "growing pains" together and at least we can relate, celebrate and sympathize with each other! 

One thing I can say, you won't have to teach your Newf to swim...you'll be spending every waking minute trying to keep him OUT of water.  It took my Sierra a few months, numerous trips to my parents-in law's pond and lots of coaxing.  (Picture me standing in the pond wearing fishing waders, holding biscuits and calling my dog for a half hour.  LOL!)  Now she lays on top of her water dish and gets soaked, jumps in the shower with me and gets soaked, makes a beeline for the pond and gets soaked, lays in puddles and gets soaked...notic ing a trend?  The funniest thing was the look on her face when she jumped into the pool and realized she couldn't touch bottom!  Hilarious, until I had to dive in fully clothed to rescue her.

My Sierra gives us h*ll too.  She's a sassy, stubborn little dog that I can't live without.

You found a great site here.  Everyone is friendly and don't eve be afraid to ask for advice.  You'll get tons of responses.

I'm glad you adopted him and he's now having the life he's supposed to have.  Hopefully he'll forget all about his bad start.  Or maybe he'll remember and love you even more!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:58:34 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:33 am »
I must have missed this one.  Sorry Rachel.  I'm Misty mom to Gracie a 1yr old English Mastiff and Rosco my "doggie-doggie" who's a 16 week old Rotti/GSG mix.  He's a tiny dude tipping the scales at about 20 pounds and I call Gracie my Mini Mastiff cause she's pretty small according to the breed standards.  We are also all slaves to Linus, our 5 year old adopted cat.  Welcome and I can't wait to see the pictures you mentioned.  Thank you for sharing your story and I can't wait to see the pictures.   ;D
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.