BPO Working Dog Forum > Big Dogs with Jobs

Big Dog Service Dogs

(1/2) > >>

CAHOLO:
Hi, I am disabled and partnered with a Service Dog.  My current Service Dog is a Border Collie.  But my new Service Dog in Training is an Anatolian Shepherd.  I needed a larger dog for mobility and balance issues.  JC, my Border Collie is mostly Medical Alert and some Balance support that she provides me.  Beauty,my ASD, will be trained mostly for Mobility and balance support.  She will have training for the medical alert, but it won't be the focus.  I have had her for only 2 weeks today and her training is coming right along.  Yes, you can train you own Service Dog and certification is not required for access.  But the Service Dog still must be fully trained and be invidually trained to do work or tasks for the disabled persons needs.  Therefore, she won't go everywhere with me until she is fully trained and ready to take JC's spot as Service Dog.  JC will stay with me for the rest of her life after she is retired.

bigdogs@5501:
Congrats on using the Anatolian as a service dog- I think that the larger dogs would be great as service dogs- Welcome to the board.
Paige  and the crew

EnchantedGypsy:
Hi! I'm new to the board and just found your post. I'm glad there are a few other service dog people here. My future Borzoi will be my mobility assistance dog (balance issues).

I also plan to train my own service dog. How old is your Anatolian Shepherd? I will be getting my future Borzoi as a baby puppy (about 12 weeks). I also have indoor housecats.... Since they've never lived with a dog, I need to start with a young pup. 

navarre1316:
That is so cool!!!  I met a lady last year who had service dogs, I can't think of what they were!!  Anyway, she was telling me about a man who got a mastiff as one as he needed help with balance and he was a pretty tall man too.  She said that he was looking into a dane as his next one.  I thought that was so interesting!! 

Ali:
Welcome to BPO! Can I ask you a question? Actually, this is for anyone who has service dogs...My kids always want to pet people's dogs, and of course I have taught them to ask first. When we see service dogs out and about, I taught my 8 year olds and am teaching my 4 and 1 year olds that they can't ask those people about petting those dogs because those dogs are busy working and can't take a break from that. Is that accurate, or is it ok to ask someone if we can pet a service dog? The other day, a blind couple was coming out of a restaurant and their dogs started to sniff my kids. I reminded my kids not to pet because the dogs were working, and the lady said "that's right - they're working" and then she told her dog "leave it". So, I felt like I had been doing the right thing. Any feedback?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version