Author Topic: Trail Hike  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Trail Hike
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:54:45 am »
Yesterday we went and took Maddax out for a hike.  He did amazing, we had to stop every ten minutes or so for a water break, but other than that he was leaping and bounding everywhere.  We took him on some gentle talis and he couldn't have been more comfortable.

Well on our way back in we had Maddax off leash, we were the only ones on the trail and he was staying within 3 feet of us.  We saw some other hikers coming towards us so Maddax went back on the leash.  It was a woman and two kids I am guessing mid teens and between 8 and 11.  They also had two dogs that were pulling them down the trail.  I wasn't sure of the breed of the one dog, we were thinking Husky/Malmute he was pretty good size easily over 100lbs.  The other dog was good old fashioned mutt (he had really pretty coloring), probably weighed 50-75lbs.  Well as we got closer I shortened Maddax's leash and the husky dragged the little girl off her feet and then another ten feet while she was sliding on her butt.  I stepped between him and Maddax when he started growling and then he snapped at my little man.  All she did was say in a stern voice the dogs name.   The little girl was on her butt trying to control this dog but if he wanted to go he was going.  She could not control him!! She weighed less than him by at least 40lbs.

If you are going to take your dog on the trail be able to control him!!!  He about attacked my dog, who is 2 months old.  Also if this dog cannot be trusted around other strange dogs don't bring him or find a secluded trail where you are unlikely to see other dogs!! We are trying very hard to make Maddax a good trail dog and respectful of other people and animals, so when I meet someone that doesn't even care that her dog about took my baby's head off it is frustrating!!!!!! >:(

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to vent...

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Hike
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:39:11 am »
and you have every right to vent i would be furrious too. people can be so irresponsible, and careless as to who all it can affect.

i hope you dont have to deal with that again. what a day spoiler, especialy if you are training your pupper.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:42:31 am by Duramax »
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Trail Hike
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:44:51 am »
Gosh, strange that dog would have been so agressive with just a little puppy. I feel also feel for the kid on the other end of that leash. A child should have not been in charge of a dog that can't walk properly. That doesn't sound like a pleasant walk for anyone involved!