Author Topic: Gracie's a Good Citizen  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Gracie's a Good Citizen
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:57:24 pm »
After a six-week CGC prep course Gracie and I took the Canine Good Citizen exam and Gracie received her CGC certification.  I honestly can't believe that she did as it appeared as though I was giving her the commands in Martian.  Seriously the girl didn't even acknowledge I was the ring half the time (that is if you compare the exam to an obedience trial standard).  At one point she seemed so bored that I swear she was about to lie down and take a nap. When she wasn't stretching or yawning she was scavenging for remnants of a treat on the floor.  Since you can't use treats during the exam to help encourage the dog to sit or give you their attention, she took it upon herself to seek them out elsewhere since I wasn't packing.  That made it sort of difficult to keep a loose lead.  Thank goodness we were able to wander a bit in between exercises. I'm just glad it wasn't an obedience trial, as we for sure would have been asked to just get out of the ring. LOL.  But all in all, she was very sweet, and welcoming and not at all skiddish or even the slightest bit of aggressive.  Obedient?  Well, she didn't jump on anyone or bark or even pull me around thank goodness.  She also didn't show too much interest in the other dogs she had never seen before which was very cool. So WAY TO GO to Gracie Belle. I'm very proud of my good little citizen.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

EllieAndBlu

Re: Gracie's a Good Citizen
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:01:05 pm »
That is awesome! Congratulation s to you and Gracie! So proud of you both!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »
Congratulations to both of you!!!
Great job!!! Now, what next???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:12:32 pm »
COMGRATS!! Good job Gracie, i completely understand the difficulty in ignoring new dogs, it's not something we've mastered quite yet ;)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:35:40 pm »

Thank you all and as far as what is next???  We've taken the basic obedience class, pre-novice and just completed the CGC class.  I've decided to continue with the obedience and even challenge the both of us more.  So in June we will double up and take a novice class and a rally-1 class at the same time.  Well, one class one day of the week and the other another day.    I really enjoy obedience and Gracie seems to like the attention.  Oh, and of course the treats. ;)  I'm especially hoping to compete once we complete the rally-1 and novice course.  After her CGC exam it definitely appears that we need a little more work at our obedience skills...  Now, if she were graded on goofiness, she would totally be a Champion.  :D :D
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:26 pm »

Thank you all and as far as what is next???  We've taken the basic obedience class, pre-novice and just completed the CGC class.  I've decided to continue with the obedience and even challenge the both of us more.  So in June we will double up and take a novice class and a rally-1 class at the same time.  Well, one class one day of the week and the other another day.    I really enjoy obedience and Gracie seems to like the attention.  Oh, and of course the treats. ;)  I'm especially hoping to compete once we complete the rally-1 and novice course.  After her CGC exam it definitely appears that we need a little more work at our obedience skills...  Now, if she were graded on goofiness, she would totally be a Champion.  :D :D
Sound wonderfull!!! Lily and I are competing in Rally right now and getting ready for obedience. We have two leggs so far. It is a lots of fun and I am sure you will enjoy it!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:45:27 pm »

[/quote]
Sound wonderfull!!! Lily and I are competing in Rally right now and getting ready for obedience. We have two leggs so far. It is a lots of fun and I am sure you will enjoy it!
[/quote]

Oh how exciting.  One more legg I see.  I can't wait to get started and I think Rally might be a good fit for her.  She is not that exuberant and bores easily so that is why I think Rally might be a better fit where competing is concerned for now.  Perhaps after we get the commands down pat then we'll move on for our obedience titles.  Heck, maybe even utility.  I really can't see her wanting to do any jumps but you never know.  Good luck on your third legg and thanks for the encouragement.   
Misty slave to:

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55:45 pm »

I forgot to mention that it is a lot of fun and embarrassment   ;D Maybe I started too early or it's just my dog but I never know when she will or will not do simple commands. We didn't qualify a couple of times because she refused to "sit" at one show and go "down" at the other. Needless to say I felt like crap while I could not stop smiling and telling myself "I went to the ring with the dog I love and left with the dog I love"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:56:12 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:58:42 pm »
Congrats Gracie! You should come over and work with Bella! ;) Bella and I need to go to Obedience 2, and someday I would love to get her CGC... although for the moment, just getting her into the second level obedience would be great. 

Enjoy Rally! you'll have to tell us all about it. I know nothing... but it sounds cool! :D
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:29 am »
YAY!!! A BIG CONGRATS to the both of you!  ;D

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:32 am »

I forgot to mention that it is a lot of fun and embarrassment   ;D Maybe I started too early or it's just my dog but I never know when she will or will not do simple commands. We didn't qualify a couple of times because she refused to "sit" at one show and go "down" at the other. Needless to say I felt like crap while I could not stop smiling and telling myself "I went to the ring with the dog I love and left with the dog I love"  ;D

LOL!  I know EXACTLY what you mean.  When we were testing, the first exercise was accepting a friendly stranger and Gracie was WAY more inclined to see if she could find a treat on the ground over giving me an ounce of attention.  Really, she wouldn't even look at me and we all know there are no corrections during the CGC exam.  Oh it was very embarrassing and I know I'll have my day in the ring begging  her (using my ESP of course) to "sit".  Yeah, and a simple sit is going to get us. Actually, I can see her wondering off for that bit of bil jac in the corner.  hahaha.  Great story. 
Misty slave to: