Author Topic: No! He's a Landseer, Dangit!  (Read 36242 times)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: No! He's a Landseer, Dangit!
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2008, 04:37:09 pm »
So when you have a litter, the way you can tell is that there is more white on the dog...so basically...a landseer is just color and a few differences in size?

Some of Gabi's litter mates were all black, not one white hair, but they will still have landseer recessive genes. There are also black newfies with white markings that do not have the landseer gene
The "perfect" landseer size should be the same size as a regular newfoundland.
there are different "types" of newfoundland dogs, the same as any breed....examp les: smaller heads, overall size, head type, ect. and all still fall into the above descriptions of a newfoundland
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »
wow what an epic post hehehe

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »
ok..........I have to ask... what is ECT?  :-\

found it back aways.....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:48:03 pm by ptkennel »
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Nicole

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
Tina you are thinking of an Irish Spotted Newf. But that isn't Sophie. The Irish Spotted is solid black with a wee bit of white on the chest. Sophie is a bronze landseer.

Maybe a Bronze Landseer ECT? Dunno.  ::)

Nicole

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
Yer welcome lotsly. ;)

Nicole

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »
hahaha...a Springer on steroids! that's hilarious.

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 08:40:59 pm »
here is a pic of ozzy and his bro murphy. same litter. i would hate to tell my breeder that her black newf gave birth to 2 different breeds of dogs???  and as for size both are above standard with murphy being a little taller and a little thicker. i think the size difference has more to do with genetics of the breed not if they are a landseer or not.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
i still get comments about Grace.  Usually things like "She looks hungry" or "That's a big dog".  1.)  I feed her small children in the morning so the people at the park won't have to run from her.  2.) I've seen bigger dogs like your Border Collie/Lab/Poddle mix Newfy.  I blow them off now. 
I only had one person ask me "What breed is that?"  This was from a mildly intellegent person too.  That was odd. 
You can take offense if you like, but it's a waste of time to get mad about it. 
The less you get mad about the stupidity you will confront from this day forward, the more time you have  to watch your pretty puppy strut all around town.

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2008, 12:07:27 am »
i admit, i do wonder about certain breeds. just cuz i only read about them in books, but when i see them in person my first reaction is to blurt out what i think it is. usually i am in the right family...but i never argue about it. people do argue about peyton though. but i can't fight back cuz i don't even know what she is! supposedly she is rott/french mastiff but who knows!i tell them what we were told when we bought her, but sometimes if they have a pure breed dog i ask what they think she could be. its fun learning how people see her, cuz i see her as a little thing. :) she is my puppy and i don't see the long nose with the gowls that hang not as long as danes and i don't see her flat head like a boxer or the shades of a german shepard. recently i had been asked if she is part "pointer", i laughed and i said maybe! she had found a bunny in the bushes behind our house and she was "pointing". foot forward and tail straight back. it was cool! but i do get "who is walking who" alot and well the answer is she is! it's annoying to hear everyday, but it is the truth, unfortunately. but i love her for all her kisses and not all her notches on the breed belt.
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.