Author Topic: Attention Newfie Owners!  (Read 8174 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Attention Newfie Owners!
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:29:55 am »
OK.  As most of you know from reading my posts, Sierra is my first Newfoundland.  I've owned Saint Bernards when I was growing up.

Here's my question:  Just how badly do Newfs drool? 

I've heard as bad as Saints and I've heard that Saints are worse.  If it's as bad as a Saint, ok. I know how Saints can get and just want to know what I'm REALLY in for.    Iwas talking to two friends at a pet expo here in PA...one had a Saint with her and one had a Newf with her.  They both agreed that Newfs aren't as bad as Saints.  TRUE?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Attention Newfie Owners!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
Great question, I'm looking forward to reading your answers too!  My hubby has never been a big fan of drool, but Sammy (rescue) is more drooly than our other pyrs have ever been, and he adores Sammy so he's getting used to it.   ;)  I've always wondered if there is any difference in drooling between the different colors of Newfs, too.  Someone mentioned a while back a difference in activity levels, so maybe?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:31:32 pm »
One thing breeders should not do, and if they are, run and run fast! advertise specifically for dry mouthed newfs, or, that they have bred generation to generation and can "gaurantee a dry mouthed newf"
GAG
that is the true sign of someone trying to find a selling point that will catch the eye of an unknowing newbie.
First and foremost, there is no way to actually say how much your newf pup may or may not drool
it may only be when having a drink, or during hot weather.
it might only be when food is present, it might only be when excitement presents itself in any form. It also could be becouse conformation breeders have manipulated the heads like there is no tomorrow, shortening the muzzle and making them look like st bernards or mastiff. if you have this "newer type" you also may be in for a drooler.
some newfs slime like there is no tomorrow, mine have been minimal, only during a drink, or excitement or food.
not a constant thing.
you might want to see what lines they are from and find out how the parents, grandparents and so forth were, you might be able to get some kind of idea.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »
Molson is the same as Sarnewfie.  Only when excited, or food is present or after drinking. 

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:29:16 pm »
Allie never drools . But she always slimes me after drinking water  :D
Spook drools when it's hot , when he sees food ... when he plays . LOL He's got the shorter muzzle ,saggy lips thing going .  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:56:22 pm »
hi,
 what age do the newfies start to drool please??

debi and ste
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:15:24 pm »
We got Sierra at 10 weeks and she was sloppy after eating and ddrinking from that point...I noticed the drool started actually hanging from her lips at about 4 months...  Her first one was a good one - about a foot long!  That's my girl!!!  LOL!  Anyway, since then she hasn't been too bad.  Still mostly a messy mouth after eating, drinking or exercising.  Other than that she's been pretty dry...Let's hope that continues...LO L
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:40:20 pm »
Hi,

Winslow drools and slimes when hot, especially after drinking, it is like half for me and half to wash the floor. It is what the breed does and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do carry a dish towel with me when out to dry his chin or the un suspecting hand of a chin rubber who doesn't know the breed? If you come to the house you get a dish towel when you walk in just in case!!

Rich
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:40:56 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:29 pm »
I like to say that Bear was born drooling.  ;D He is a handsome boy that slimes everything and anything throughout the day. He drools when it hot, when there is food, when he is excited, when he plays, and look out after he's had some water.  :) Like Rich said, thank god for towels.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:11 am »
 ::) hi,molly is 11 weeks old now and l saw drool on the side of her face haha...pity my uncle didn't when he stroked her..lmao. :o
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:00:57 pm »
Like Rich and Jaime, we used to welcome you into our home with a hug and a dishtowel when we had Barkley.  He's been gone over a year, and I'm STILL finding dried drool on ceilings and behind furniture.  The latest was behind the very heavy entertainment centre in the living room.  He drooled while he slept...and it was indeed excessive, thick and slimey!  We found out late in his life that he had an almost constant low grade ear infection though - and once we treated that, the drool reduced considerably.  Something to be aware of.

Now Ms Anna Banana rarely drools!  She will slime you after a drink of water and occasionally if there's a particularly delish looking piece of food around, but for the most part, she's pretty dry.  We're ok with that! hehe
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 03:27:45 pm »
Our Newfie, Cody, doesn't drool unless the temperature is over 85.  We keep his room at about 72 in the summer and do not heat it in the winters.  The only time I ever saw him drool was once in the summer between the time the power went out and the back up generator kicked in.  With his bad knees, he can't run enough to need to cool off with drooling.   

The two Cane Corsos, Zita and Wally, drool lots more.  After running in the yard they get a quick rinse to remove the drool and sand.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 08:54:16 pm »
I think Rudder drooled from the first minute on the earth..hahaha. ..he isn't bad though..when we exercise, eat or drink is when he drools....we ALWAYS carry the "rudder rag" wherever we go!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:02 am »
Onyx. Is. A. FOUNTAIN.
  ::)

And I'm pretty sure that there are not enough towels left on the planet for all the floogers. Sorry if that scared ya off, but eh, it is what it is.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 07:21:30 am »
Sorry to thread-jack but...

HEY LEAH!

Haven't seen you around in awhile! Good to see you, girl! :)