Author Topic: Pyr grooming and the undercoat  (Read 5171 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Pyr grooming and the undercoat
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:09 am »
Does all the undercoat brush out?  Cirra gets alot of brushing (daily - sometimes hours)and it seems that she still has undercoat.  Not mats - undercoat.  I am using a rake and pin brush.  She doesn't like the sound of a slicker brush.  Now that she is "blowing her coat" should I expect to get a comb through her hair to her skin?   How is it possible for someone to take a Pyr to a groomer and have the dog brushed out in one day??? 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pyr grooming and the undercoat
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:57:08 am »
Well, we've taken our pyrs to the groomer before and it was all stripped out when we picked them up, but I'm not sure how comfortable it was for them.  :-\  It kind of worried me at the time.  I know that there are former groomers on BPO so maybe someone can tell us how the groomers do it and if it's rough on the dog or not. 

I strip out nearly all of their undercoat myself using the mat rake with the double row of teeth.  It usually takes a few weeks before it's all gone though when I do it.  Also, I've found that some pyrs (depending upon bloodlines) strip out fully and some don't so I think that you'll find out with Cirra over time.  Her breeder would know what to expect for her, I'm sure.  Also, of course it depends upon weather.  We traveled with our troup in April and it was so hot there that our dogs blew out all of their coat early this year (and it was like a snowstorm for a while here with 2 pyrs and a golden).  I love Cirra, she's beautiful!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 03:15:37 am »
When the weather started to really warm up here (FL) they started to blow their coats but it only lasted about a month I guess..not sure how long it's supposed to. After their last bath when I used one of those shampooing gloves to really scrub them down, and got hair out... the shedding just kind of up and stopped. We get the occasional floating hairball but nothing like it was. We don't brush them on a regular basis (shame shame) but when we do all we have is a pin brush now and get about one brush full out and that's it. Could be that our brush just sucks. I'm going to get a rake though, that I'm sure will work much better.

I guess I thought the undercoat was always there to some degree.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:55:16 am »
You know, everyone seems to love the Furminator.  We haven't tried it yet, I keep meaning to order one online since it's so much cheaper there than from our vets.  You might want to try it.  Just a thought.  If you do try it, please let us know what you think of it, too. 
Marie

And my pups:

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:08:58 am »
You know, everyone seems to love the Furminator.  We haven't tried it yet, I keep meaning to order one online since it's so much cheaper there than from our vets.  You might want to try it.  Just a thought.  If you do try it, please let us know what you think of it, too. 
Furminator doesn't work on Lily's coat at all. I really love using it on her paws and legs but no further. I think her coat is too thick and long.
As for undercoat issue...I brush her A LOT and she still has a lots of undercoat left. Since this is the first summer blowout I don't really know if she will loose it all or keep some  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:17:23 am »
Furminator doesn't work on Lily's coat at all. I really love using it on her paws and legs but no further. I think her coat is too thick and long.
As for undercoat issue...I brush her A LOT and she still has a lots of undercoat left. Since this is the first summer blowout I don't really know if she will loose it all or keep some  ???

That's good to know.  I wondered how I would be able to get those teensy, tiny little teeth through all of this coat.   :-\  They have one at the u-bathe dog wash near us, but I didn't see it last time until after I'd bathed Daisy and I didn't want to try it on wet hair.  Maybe I'll take Cassie in for her bath soon and try the Furminator on her while she's still dry and see what I think before ordering one.  Thanks for the input!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:25:43 am »

That's good to know.  I wondered how I would be able to get those teensy, tiny little teeth through all of this coat.   :-\  They have one at the u-bathe dog wash near us, but I didn't see it last time until after I'd bathed Daisy and I didn't want to try it on wet hair.  Maybe I'll take Cassie in for her bath soon and try the Furminator on her while she's still dry and see what I think before ordering one.  Thanks for the input!
You are welcome! I forgot to mention that it was absolutely perfect when she was shedding her puppy coat!!!
Mary W. Crane

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:26:48 am »

You are welcome! I forgot to mention that it was absolutely perfect when she was shedding her puppy coat!!!

Hmm, I'll keep the puppy coat in mind! ;)  ;D Have you read the "Hey GoldenPyrs" thread? LOL ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 08:18:55 am »

Hmm, I'll keep the puppy coat in mind! ;)  ;D Have you read the "Hey GoldenPyrs" thread? LOL ;D
Yay, It will be fun!!! I am so in the puppy mood!!! Lily's breeder has a litter of pups right now. I have been vising them and paying with them and cutting their nails and kissing them and wanting one so badly!!! Unfortunately my husband doesn't think we need a second dog YET since we can't afford to have a baby >:( We have no family around at all!!! to help 
Mary W. Crane

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:32 am »

Yay, It will be fun!!! I am so in the puppy mood!!! Lily's breeder has a litter of pups right now. I have been vising them and paying with them and cutting their nails and kissing them and wanting one so badly!!! Unfortunately my husband doesn't think we need a second dog YET since we can't afford to have a baby >:( We have no family around at all!!! to help 
Oh I sympathize, we don't have any family nearby either (yet) and it can be tough not to have any back up sometimes.  We haven't made any decisions yet about a puppy, we're still mulling it over but it's very tempting and it would be wonderful to have one of Cara's puppy relatives (albeit distant now since Cara was born in '89).  Like you, I would love to snuggle and love the pups but it would be so hard not to take them all home with you.  Has your husband come with you to play with them?  (I need an evil looking smiley face for this one...tee hee)  In any case, I'm sure that Lily's breeder appreciates your help and it's great experience and such fun for you.  I do hope that you can have another puppy and a baby soon.   :D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:28:41 am »
Does all the undercoat brush out?  Cirra gets alot of brushing (daily - sometimes hours)and it seems that she still has undercoat.  Not mats - undercoat.  I am using a rake and pin brush.  She doesn't like the sound of a slicker brush.  Now that she is "blowing her coat" should I expect to get a comb through her hair to her skin?   How is it possible for someone to take a Pyr to a groomer and have the dog brushed out in one day??? 

Binky is almost two and has never blown her coat.  For some reason, it just stays there and gets all rough and not matted, but yucky.  Anyway, we took her to a groomer last month and it was great.  The groomer had worked on Pyrs and understood that I wanted the undercoat brushed out- not clip her, etc.  Binky came out beautifully and all the undercoat is gone.  She is much more comfortable now and I can keep her top coat manageable.  We have a furminator but it is useless on Binky.  However, I LOVE it for the cats and the other dogs.  Hope this helps.  Also, the grooming was quite reasonable- only $60 for a full groom and bath.  Last year, we had poor Binky clipped and it cost a fortune-almost $100.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat