Author Topic: Strange new behaviour  (Read 4698 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Strange new behaviour
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:23:18 am »
I swear that Miss Anna Banana is going to need therapy!  First it was the need to wean her "puppies" (you might recall the old baseball and various stuffies that became her pups after we had her spay...).  So today the new behaviour is a sudden aversion to the side deck steps, which is a problem since that is the door we put both dogs out during the day.  They go DOWN the steps to the yard, and do their business ... plus we then bring them in through the basement door when we're leaving for the day, which again requires her going down the steps.

I noticed this morning that she was not keen to go down when my husband was at the basement door calling her, but with some coaxing from me, she went.

Tonight however?  No go.  I even stood at the bottom (in the rain, I might add), patting Sheba and crooning "good dog" which would normally set off a jealous run from Anna. 

She was quite distressed and would not come down.  I brought her in the side door and didn't make her come down.  She hasn't fallen down them or anything, so we can't figure it out.

Anyhow...anoth er novel from Sandy and Anna.  Holy cow.  I love her but she is a dog with issues!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Strange new behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:41 am »
We just had a similar problem with Binky.  We moved to a very old house with very steep stairs and she tripped over a cat on the way down one day.  She was more scared than hurt but it took a full week and half before she would normally approach the stairs, up or down.  At first, we tried coaxing, hten treats, finally my husband had to carry her.  Then we realized we just had to let her go down on her own terms.  It was so hard to ignore her crying and looking so scared, but she had to use the stairs.  She insisted on sleeping up in our room so she had to go down to go out in the morning.  Like I said, it was difficult not to comfort her, but I think it would have gone on longer had we made a big deal over it.  Now she is still careful on the stairs but not afraid.  Good luck!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:01:06 am »
that's too bad. it makes you wonder what's going through her head. hopefully it wont last long :) maybe coaxing with a treat will motivate!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:55 am »
Banana update:  we have discovered that the prospect of a treat and an open gate will get her bounding down the stairs...hehe.  Oddly enough, it's only the side deck stairs - she has no trouble with any of the stairs inside the house.  I'm thinking she has us trained well.  She figured out a way to get an extra treat out of us...lol.  Thanks for the input (as always!!!)
Sandy

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:08:13 am »
That's pretty funny that she figured out the extra treat.  Cinder has scared herself in the kitchen a couple of times now.  She has stepped in her own food bowl and since it's stainless steel and the floor is tile well you can imagine the noise.  So she tried to avoid the kitchen but that's where the back door is to go outside and unfortunately for her I'm a mean, mean mom.  I wouldn't let her have any treats or anything unless it was in the kitchen plus she had to go out that door to go outside.  It took her about a full week to get completely comfortable with the evil kitchen.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:10:41 pm »
LOL she is such a character! Hopefully the others won't find out her tricks!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 05:58:34 am »
Some say character....s ome say in need of doggie therapy.  It's something new every day with the Banana! 

And I'm never scared about people mentioning injuries - I think I probably run her to the vet more than need be as it is - I'm ultra careful with that kind of stuff!  they can be so stoic and you never even know they're in pain.

I had to chuckle at the evil kitchen....and now I'm wondering if I have an evil kitchen too and that's why I don't like to cook....hehehe he
Sandy

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:04:48 pm »
Rosie does that too... it's the hardest thing to get her off the floor so she can go for a walk or go for a potty break. We lure her with a treat that's strategically placed on the floor such that she has to stand up to get it. That won't even work sometimes, so you start thinking "Well maybe she's hurting somewhere." But the darn dog will finally get up, take the treat, then go back to the floor. Smarty pants!
Rosie - Newfoundland