Author Topic: New to this site. Mom of two Newfie girls  (Read 7141 times)

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New to this site. Mom of two Newfie girls
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:04:25 am »
We have two Newfoundland girls, Cali and Lexi. They are 18 months and 15 months old. I was wondering if anyones dog has had patellar luxation surgery. Cali had her surgery in March and is still limping. I just wanted to see if anybody has been through this and how long the recovery was. Glad to be on this site as I have tons of questions regarding my newfies.
Kristin

lins_saving_grace

Re: New to this site. Mom of two Newfie girls
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:33:50 am »
just because all vets call it something different, can you tell me if the surgory was the TPLO or ACL surgory?
been there twice.
Welcome to BPO!!!

Offline Cazzie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Slave to Amba
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 05:47:10 am »
I just wanted to welcome you too!!
I have a 4mth old female grey newfy "Storm"& a 9yr old Boston "Ämba" i dont know anything about your problem just wanted to say HI !!
Proudly owned by Amba - Boston terrier
                 Merlin - Exotic Short hair cat
                 Harley - Ragdoll cat
RIP...Stormy & Balki - my Newfoundland Angels

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:18:58 am »
Thank you for the welcomes and information. Once I figure out how to post a picture I will share my girls with you all.
Kristin

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:53:33 am »
Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy it here!

Can't help you with your question, but I'm sure there are others on here who can.  :)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:12 am »
Hi Kristin!  Welcome to BPO!  I think we might have given little Lexi a ride on her way to your home?  

I'm sorry to hear about Cali's surgery.  I hope she starts feeling better soon!  Sasha can relate--she had surgery to stabilize her ACL in January.  She limped off-and-on until April or so.  I'll bet other people have more specific information about Cali's surgery.

Anyway, welcome--you'll love it here!
Jessica, Sasha, and Bella :)

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 11:14:33 am »
Hello from one of the many Goofy Newfy crews :D
We are happily ruled by 3 crazy Newfies. Elvis, his brother Stitch and the baby, sassy little Audrey. Welcome to BPO

I'm still a pup around here, but BPO is filled with pros on many subjects that I know can help with your question.
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:41:28 pm »
Jessica it was you who helped us get Lexi! :) Thank you so much. It took her a long time to warm up to us and become comfortable in our home, but she is an absolute love now. She has some health issues and severe hip dysplasia, so we are trying to keep her comfortable for as long as we can. You had told me about this site when we met in OK and I am so glad I remembered about it the other day. I will work on getting some pictures on today.
Kristin

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:05:11 pm »
ooh welcome to BPo!!!  this is the BEST site ever.  What type of surgery did she have??  Fumble just had tplo about a month ago, actually a month ago tomorrow.  He's still limping in the house, outside he's fine, but still tip toeing in the house.  I also saw a dane 6 weeks out and he could barely put any weight on it, and we saw a lab who had surgery the same time as fumble did 2 weeks ago and where fubmle wasn't limping, she was pretty bad.  I think they go through the phases, but check with your vet!  good luck!! and best wishes to your little girl!!! :) and welcome!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:49:40 am »
Hi Kristin!

Welcome to BPO!  We have 4 Newfies, 3 Landseers and 1 all black pup.  Our 2 big littermates Madison & Klondike are 4.5 yrs. old, Kelso is 2.5 yrs old and McKayla pup is 9 months old.  Our big male Klondike has torn both ACL's but, unfortunately I don't have any experience with patellar sublux.  Keep searching the site because there are tons of very knowledgeable people on BPO that might be able to share their experience.

Welcome again!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 03:16:51 am »
I'm so glad to see you here Kristin!  :) I was hoping that we'd be able to see photos of Lexi and Cali someday.  Yay!

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 11:53:13 pm »
I would love to post pictures of my girls, but every time I try it says my pictures are too big. Can someone walk me through the process?
Thanks
Kristin

Offline kristinsmith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:48:31 am »
Thank you for that info. I will try and see what i can do to post my pictures.
Kristin