Author Topic: new food for pey-t-pie!  (Read 8946 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
new food for pey-t-pie!
« on: June 06, 2007, 07:06:18 am »
I went into Pet Supplies "Plus" today and talked to them about Peyton's food. I told them that I was suggested to try Innova Evo and so they showed me that. They asked if Peyton has a time with rich foods or even treats. I said yes. We have to watch the types and how much treats we give her or she will get the squirts. He told us to maybe stay away from Innova for awhile since it seems to be alot richer than what Iams has been for her.

He told me about Eagle Pack which is an Indiana Company and here is the web site www.eaglepack. com

It is Holistic and only uses "the best" so I am told. Here is a list of the Ingredients: Lamb meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Dried Beet Pupl, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat, Anchovy & Sardine Meals, Flaxseed,  Dried Egg Product, Menhaden Fish Oil, Carrots, Sun-curred Alfalfa, Peas, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples,  Inulin, L-Carnitine and then it lists more vitamins and minerals...

but of the topics before it mainly is the first items the are listed before you get to a fat right? The thing that threw me off was the brown rice, but I was reading from one post that said that brown rice is better than white rice! But you all were right about the servings vs. cost! I would still only be spending about $20 a month on food! That ain't bad! The suggested serving for 20-25 lbs pup at 12-16 weeks is about 3.5 cups. So I am basically dividing that by a third now!

Anyway, they gave me a sample of it (about 3 cups) for free! and so I am gonna let her try it when she is starting to get low on her food she has now. They said that it will probably be a better transfer than another type since it is better products than Iams is now.

Check it out, let me know what you think!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: new food for pey-t-pie!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:09:28 am »
I've heard a lot of people that use Eagle Pack..I think it's pretty decent. There was some reason why I didn't choose it but I can't remember why now. I'm jealous, I wish I could spend $20 a month on food!!!!! I hope she likes it!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 07:18:33 am »
awww your more than welcome Liz :)

we too feed eagle pack. i now, swear by it. zero has had alot of problems with stool and BTs are high with bad allergies, so we feed them the eagle pack lamb and rice, also, that is what reba is on and we just switched memphis to the large/giant breed, and so far so good ;)

Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:21:23 am »
Here is a link to a review on the food from DogFoodAnalysi s.com. It's rated as a 2 star food and it explains why they rated it that way..
  http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=102&cat=all

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 07:23:16 am »
I feed Eagle Pack to the chihuahuas and Osiris and they love it!  I feed the fish one and their coats are amazing..great poops and great skin.  I'd recommend it!

I dont think I would recommend the Evo as she is a growing pup, but the regular Innova in the green bag would be great as well!

You have to special order Large Breed Puppy in the Eagle Pack.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:24:27 am »
no we dont feed the natural, we feed holistic...
http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Lamb.html
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:24:55 am »
Wait, that might be the wrong formula.. is it a purple bag?

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:27:23 am »
yes purple, we have him on the holistic as he can't have corn or wheat (allergies) so, we have him on this... :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:30:35 am »
Here is a link to a review on the food from DogFoodAnalysi s.com. It's rated as a 2 star food and it explains why they rated it that way..
  http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=102&cat=all

They must have changed the ingredients since November 2005 because corn is no longer listed on the ingredients on the actual bag that I have now. The sample that I have is Green. It's called Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula (Sample size approx 8 oz.)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 07:31:48 am »
I feed Eagle Pack to the chihuahuas and Osiris and they love it!  I feed the fish one and their coats are amazing..great poops and great skin.  I'd recommend it!

I dont think I would recommend the Evo as she is a growing pup, but the regular Innova in the green bag would be great as well!

You have to special order Large Breed Puppy in the Eagle Pack.

*** Nevermind, I meant special order in the L & G Puppy in Innova

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 07:32:06 am »

They must have changed the ingredients since November 2005 because corn is no longer listed on the ingredients on the actual bag that I have now. The sample that I have is Green. It's called Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Formula (Sample size approx 8 oz.)

Yeah that was the wrong formula..the natural and not the holistic which doesn't contain wheat and corn. I can't find the large breed one reviewed there though.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 07:35:03 am »
You could do the adult regular Innova in the green bag..I think she might have meant that. I'm thinking of switching mine to that for the whole boredom thing I think we'e experiencing over here. ::) But I know at least here it's a bit pricier for less. It's nice that the Canidae comes in 40lb bags, the Innova isn't as big. These dogs are eating like horses and killing me!

Anakalia

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 10:00:22 am »
In my opinion Eagle Pack is a good food, it's got a few fillers , beet pulp is really high on the ingredients list!  Some dogs do great on it, but others get terrible gas and in my Koby's case had a HUGE booty blow-out from this food.  If you're going to try it buy a sample pack or a small bag to test first before buying the big bag, we made that mistake! hahaha

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 09:09:41 pm »
I used to feed Bubba Eagle Pack. The holistic fish one. He had notorious loose stool from the time I brought him home. At the time it was the only food he could eat and have normal poop. Beet pulp acts as a stool hardener and it definitely helped firm things up.

But, I ended up switching off of it to something else when he was up to 9 cups a day and still not gaining weight. I'm still unsure why he didn't maintain weight on this food, expecially with as much as I was feeding him. But in the fish one the protein and fat are on the low side maybe that had something to do with it.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:11:25 pm by Lyn »

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »
I used to feed Bubba Eagle Pack. The holistic fish one. He had notorious loose stool from the time I brought him home. At the time it was the only food he could eat and have normal poop. Beet pulp acts as a stool hardener and it definitely helped firm things up.

But, I ended up switching off of it to something else when he was up to 9 cups a day and still not gaining weight. I'm still unsure why he didn't maintain weight on this food, expecially with as much as I was feeding him. But in the fish one the protein and fat are on the low side maybe that had something to do with it.  :-\

Aww...but they are doing much better now right? What food do you have them on now?

Is 23% Protein and 12% fat good? Or should she be getting more?