Author Topic: Zoey Update  (Read 7947 times)

bigdogs@5501

Zoey Update
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:44:32 pm »
OK so I couldnt wait until 9, I was there by 8:30. They let me go to the back while they got their day started and I sat with her for about an hour. Still no idea what caused this mess. On her right hind foot, she has 2 broken toes and the pad of the foot was almost ripped off- he has put that back together as much as possible. The left hind leg, on the inside, has a cut from the knee, down to the foot and it is like a spiral cut and then it forks off into several directions, he has sewed up most of that - he said that he didnt stitch everything because it has got to be able to drain. He is saying to expect a lot of drainage. This morning she was putting some weight on her foot for them- but she refused to when we went to leave- so I carried her- thank goodness she is a little Pyr. She weighs 81 pounds. I got the bed and I have loosely put cotton gauze around her wounds. She started bleeding again and until I can get to a thrift store and get some towels - this is the best thing that I can for right now. I did get the bed and she is laying on it right now.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Zoey Update
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:55:10 pm »
Poor Zoey!  I'm glad she got to come home with you.  She'll be so much more comfortable!  We're sending lots of thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!  Get well soon Zoey!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:56:25 pm »
thanks Jenn and she is getting lots of kisses. I have to go back to work here in a bit- but I have someone here with her- Next week - I have someone else that is going to take care of me when someone is not here- so thats going to be a relief.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 12:03:52 am »
awwwww poor thing! So glad Zoey is recovering at home.  am sure she feels much better just being there. Sending tons of hugs to y'all! 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:04:55 am »
that's good to hear she's doing ok.  i have 5 words for you Zoey. 
D
R
U
G
S

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 01:56:00 am »
So sorry Zoey had to go through all of this horrible stuff.  I hope she is on the mend & feeling better with each day. Sending all of you, humans too, extra hugs & good wishes from Jersey.

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 02:06:23 am »
poor zoey, if she can just sleep off the next fiew days, the worst of it will hopefully be over. thinking about you 2, just hang in there.

.......ya know when she figures out that she's got you wrapped around her claw she might take advantage of it ;D give her a little bell to ring when she needs something haha :) she knows mommy will take care, and that will be the biggest comfort to her.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:13 am »
Ohhhhh!  I haven't been on the computer for the last few days and I just logged on and saw all of this.  :(  Poooor Zoey and poor Paige!  I'm so sorry, what a terrifying ordeal.  It's wonderful that you were able to get her in for treatment so fast and your relief vet sounds like a really special person to stay overnight with her, that's amazing!  :-*  I'm sure that she'll start looking much happier now that she's at home with her mom and family.  We're sending lots of hugs & kisses to Zoey as well as prayers for a quick recovery from all of us, too.  Hang in there, Paige!  I'll be watching for updates. ((hugs))
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 09:47:05 am »
I'm so glad to see that Zoey is home.  More healing vibes for her fast recovery and for your fast recovery from the scare. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21:18 pm »
I'm just wondering how Zoey is doing now?  I'm sure that you're very busy caring for her and loving on her.  Please give her a kiss for me.   :-*  I'm hoping that all is well.
Marie

And my pups:

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 03:50:05 am »
Been a bit busy- I am just now getting logged on- she is asleep. My regular vet has had us come in and get more meds and flushes for her and wants to see her Tuesday morning when she gets back from vacation. We have had very little draining- so that is weird. Until this morning- we have had to carry her outside and back into the house- not fun. She has started putting a little bit of weight on the bad foot as of today. The pain meds make her feel a lot better- she is still alpha dog in charge and she wants to run and bark and then realizes she cant and then she crashes. Also she is not very happy with the cone- but I cant have her licking the stitches out. I will post picks for those not so sqeamish.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 06:09:17 am »
Awww, I saw the pics.   :(   :o  :'(  Poor, poor Zoey!  What an awful thing for her to go through, but I'm so glad that she has you to take care of her, lots of pain meds and such wonderful vets.  I'm sure that you must be exhausted after all of the care & worry.  Thanks so much for the update.
Marie

And my pups:

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 01:53:53 am »
It's good that she's starting to put a little weight on it!  Hopefully with everyday she will get a little better.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:27:28 pm »
OK get this-Vet thinks that she may have gotten into a fight with a wild hog. Hogs are mean and they have razor sharp tusks. Also a hog will try to get up under a dog and either flip the dog or try to rip thier stomachs out... They have had some other vets in the area seeing similiar wounds on other dogs and this is what is happening. Zoey can be extremely mean when it comes to coyotes so I am thinking that the hog didnt come out of this unscathed. It certainly wasnt a full grown pig or she would not have been able to get away. But it would explain the clean deep cuts. And yes we know that we have hogs in our area and have had some on the property. We have a hog trap- I am going to have someone come out and set it up.

lorim2

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 07:35:26 pm »
Wow...a wild hog...Thats kind of scary!  Well I hope Zoey is doing well and that you are holding up too...I know its hard to have a baby down and try to work and take care of everything else...Take care ofyourself too!!  By the way, hows the sweet little iguana doing?