Author Topic: I'm excited!  (Read 3730 times)

mama23+pyrs2

I'm excited!
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:55:11 am »
The pups might start daycare on Saturdays. Hubby just left the place we buy their food at..it's this canine resort, cute little place and he told me on Saturdays they offer a free daycare.

Just trying to figure out how I'd get them over there by myself since hubby works. I'll have to find out the specifics. I guess they have a huge play area out back for them. How long is your average daycare? I NEED to get one of those barricade things for the back of my SUV so I can acutally transport them somewhere. Yukon will not stay in the cargo area and he is too big and strong for my oldest to push back down. That won't work with 3 kids sitting where he thinks he can sit. ::)

That would be so good for them! I've been wanting to get them around some dogs.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I'm excited!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 01:15:03 pm »
Hmmm, I can see why you need a barrier to keep Yukon in the back.   ;D  :o   Those big paws (even on a puppy) don't feel so good to little people.  Do you have the option of crating them in the back?  I don't have any experience with puppy day care, but I'm sure that others on here will have some info for you.  I hope that they have a great time and that you can get some cute pics, too!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:08:22 pm »
Hmmm, I can see why you need a barrier to keep Yukon in the back.   ;D  :o   Those big paws (even on a puppy) don't feel so good to little people.  Do you have the option of crating them in the back?  I don't have any experience with puppy day care, but I'm sure that others on here will have some info for you.  I hope that they have a great time and that you can get some cute pics, too!

Well their crates are so flippin big I know they wouldn't fit back there. Last time I took them somewhere I looped their leashes around one of the cargo hooks thinking it would prevent them from coming over at least- wrong. Yiska is much better about things like that..she's the biggest sweetheart ever and soooo mellow. Yukon decides he's gonna do something and no one is going to stop him lol. He's just a bit more pushy. ;)

I wonder how well these work:   http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=420458
They aren't too pricey so it's worth a try. I see they make a net one too but I don't know how well that one would work, hmm..he'd probably wedge his big nose in there and get stuck lol.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:16:53 pm by mama2many »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 09:39:44 pm »
Phelan goes to daycare occasionally, it starts at 7am and pick up is anytime before six, he loves everyone, the pups, the staff...So he gets a lot of attention and comes home exhausted. We pay about $13/day which is totally worth him having a good day and me not feeling guilty about it. As for the car, I don't know if you have extra seatbelts but those harnesses that DaneInsane (Liz) was talking about would hold them in place. I really wouldn't recommend tying them with leashes as they could choke if you had to break hard or had an accident.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:41:45 pm »
Yeah I agree. I think if he's hard to handle now, a few more months and forget it haha. He seems to want a better view than the one in the very back of the car. ::) That's a good idea about the mini trips, because they've only had car rides to the vets office..so few and far between..it's not what they're used to. They still throw up too. :-\ I'm sure if I let them, Yukon would try to get on my lap as I'm driving since he always tried that before..probab ly where he's trying to go hahaha.

The seatbelt things are cool..but I only have the backseat with the 3 kids and the front seat..so the cargo area works cause it's roomy and they can't do much back there if I could block them off from the rest of the car anyway. I guess eventually he'll be too large to get over the seat easily...or maybe not since he's persistant. But he's pushy in that sweet dumb teddy bear way. Ya know, like huh? me? what'd I do Mom? :P

Just thought about how to actually get them in and out of the car hmm... Last time I took them someplace I could pick them up. Maybe they would help me part of the way. They definitely are too scared to get out of the car.

Thanks for the tips!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:07:28 am »
There is this harness thing too, I'm not sure if you have those high handle things or something like it in the way back, or if you have things for tying down in the bottom back.

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/AZL123

that harness system can be used in multiple parts of you car.

Thank you! I'll have to check the installation guide to see if I could use that.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 06:23:11 am »
There is this harness thing too, I'm not sure if you have those high handle things or something like it in the way back, or if you have things for tying down in the bottom back.

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/AZL123

that harness system can be used in multiple parts of you car.

Julie, that looks really interesting.  I'll have to see if I can use it in our big van.  Sammy can't be crated due to anxiety (he pulls the hair off of his front legs if crated even for a few minutes) probably b/c of the abuse/neglect that he suffered in the past, so we've been using a harness & seat belt but he doesn't like being so restrained.  I think that the zip line might work for us, too. 

Kristina, I used to use a metal barrier years ago in our old car.  The only problem that I had was making sure that the barrier couldn't be pushed forward as our's was pressure mounted.  If you can install it on a window (with a deep frame) or somewhere that there is something in front of it that will keep the dogs from shoving it forward then that could be fine.  I'm not sure if the barrier is as safe for the dogs as a seat belt or zip line would be.  Just a thought.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:36:59 am »
Yeah hmm, I'm not sure if you can use a harness in the back though..the zip line one, I'm wondering if it would give them enough slack to still come over the seat. ??? That wouldn't be good about the barrier being pushed forward, then it would fall on my kids, no good. I'll have to look at my car and see where it would go I guess. I'll only have this car until maybe Novemeber, depends when I can turn it in, no idea what I'm going to have next.