Author Topic: Another shelter trip  (Read 2170 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Another shelter trip
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:47:00 am »
So we went to 2 more shelters today to 'look'. ;) Didn't find any little dogs anywhere..nobo dy wants their big dogs. :'( It was so sad. It's been a long time since I've been to one and it's like walking through a prison or something..so eery. I know everyone feels bad for them but it's just incredibly sad. My little boy kept telling me how sad the kitties were. :( He loved the kitties. At the last place they must have had 100 kittens, teeny ones..several whole litters, just amazing. You wish you could save them all.

Too bad I wasn't looking for a Pit Bull because I've never seen so many in my life. I must have counted 12+ and Pit Bull x's. It's just insane. It's hard to look at them knowing so many won't ever be adopted.

Saint Butterfly

Re: Another shelter trip
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:59:03 pm »
I know how you feel going into the shelter. It is a very sad place. I always go in there with pockets full of treats, and give each of my children a little bag with treats in it..Atleast this way we can feel like we are doing something, because of course we can't adopt them all..

It makes the Dogs feel happy if only just for a minute.. My Kids love going there.. They also know these are sad dogs, and they feel good about themselves when they see they have made the Dogs feel happy..I know it is very Sad, But there is also a Way to make it a lot of Fun!.... It is easier to handle like that  ;)

Cheers
Shell
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:49:14 pm by Saint Butterfly »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:53:53 pm »
Shell, that's such a nice thing to do and a great idea for the rest of us.  Thanks!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 07:24:33 pm »
You are braver than me I can't even walk into the dog or cat area of the shelter without having to be dragged out.  The entire time trying to talk my roommate into just one more dog or one more cat.  Now the only time I go is to drop off donations.

That sounds like an amazing idea (giving treats) I just don't know if I could do it without getting kicked out of my house for bringing one home.