Author Topic: he's a vicious unstable beast that stalks *pic*  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
he's a vicious unstable beast that stalks *pic*
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:10:17 am »
OH! i guess not....i guess he's just a puppy chasing his tail ::)
my mother and grandmother made me so mad just now, they came to pick up my brother from my house who stayed the night. and my grandmother walks into the living room, and max goes up to greet her, very politely like a good dog, i was so proud of him (he's a very anxious dog, and gets nervous easily)and as dogs do when they greet some one, he decided to sniff her butt, (keep in mind they've never met before 'strangers') she says "NO NO! BAD DOG! and he stops tail wagging low the whole time ears back just being a sweetie, and he sniffs again like the stubborn dork he can be, and she stops walking, turns around, stares at him in the eyes and repetedly saiy no no bad dog....except she doesnt stop! she kept saying it, staring him down...hello? you dont do that to any dog you dont know. max became extremely uncomfortable and backed up and 'according to my mother growled' i didnt hear, but he wagged his tail low with ears back the whole time. when i realised my grandmother was just going to continue this nonsense,"it was like she was stuck on repeat i dont know what got into her" i went and got max and made him lay down by me, but my mother says "christy he's growling at her!!!" like he's frothing at the mouth and realy growling....no w YALL have big dogs, and yall have heard em growl...not the nervous under the breath growl, or the play growl, but the 'there's a stranger in the dark going to get you growl, that could scare the daylights out of anybody the real growl. it just realy made me mad that max did so good when guests came over, and then this is what he gets for it. the poor guy, im so ticked. he was such a gentleman. and he still got labeled a bad dog.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:23:34 am by Duramax »
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Lyn

Re: he's a vicious unstable beast that stalks *pic*
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:47:28 am »
I know what you mean... Lola is the same way. She is really anxious with strangers and all greetings *must* be easy and low key. Some people she will approach immediately, others she won't. We have made awesome progress, but all it takes is one person to yell or swat at her and we are back to square one.  >:(

My uncle brought his girlfriend over.. who I might add is a flake. LOL She has a bad habit of mauling dogs with attention whether she knows them or not, she told me she's been bitten quite a few times. So I told her right away NOT to approach Lola, but to let her come to her. Lola needs to scope out people from afar first. I don't force her to meet anyone. Well what does this knob do??!! She starts chasing Lola from room to room trying to pet her. ::) I told you this woman is NOT normal. The tool cornered Lola in the living room so she growled at her. UGH! She completely ignored what I said like I don't know my own dog. GRRR I was sooo ticked, I gave her a few choice words and so she went and sat at the kitchen table with my uncle. 10 minutes later Lola approached her on her own and sat down beside her. ::)

I have kicked people out of the house that feel they can kick/slap/swat/scream/yell at my dogs. If you don't like them.. then get out. LOL Needless to we don't have alot of family that visit here. haahhaah

Poor max, he didn't understand why he was being told he was a bad dog. The stare down is very threatening to a dog.. expecially a nervous/anxious dog.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:49:51 am by Lyn »

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:51:32 am »
oh i just had to vent because he was realy being a good boy and he got punished for it, i kept waiting, hoping she'd handle it the proper way. i dont think it'd be good to have to rescue max all the time, but i know i should've stopped her, and ill be prepared next time. im still not sure if he growled at all, i was realy close to him and heard nothing.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:59:38 am »
Poor guy. He just wanted to say hi in his special doggie way. It bothers me too when people don't listen, it's like "oh a puppy! why should I listen to the owner?!" Remy is a lot better now, he would scream is someone came near him, now he loves people. The hard part now is trying to get people to ignore him when his vest is on, they just want to pet him and not listen to me. People just don't get it that you really know your dog.
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 07:03:18 am »
Oh yeah, I love the pics, he's adorable!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:08:22 am »
I hate when  ppl  do that..   Just the other  day  Zeus  walked up to  MY MIL and  She  pushed him away  with  her  foot  he  never  even did anything for her to such a thing so  of course Zeus though  she was playing and  tried to of course get her foot. Zeus of course  tried to get  her shoe and when she  did  she looked at  me and sheldon  and  had a fit sence the dog bite her foot  well hmm  dont  try and  ppush him away  he wasnt  doing anything to bug you in the first place.   The  pics are adorable  by the way
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:16:36 am »
thanks, honestly the only destructive thing he's ever done in his life was make the hole in the wall behind him in the first pic above.he had the zoomies really bad and miscalculated the turn :o he didnt even notice he'd hit the wall!!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:30 am »
aww poor guy
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:42:55 am »
Maybe next time, or anytime anyone comes over, have a treat jar by the door and when they come in and he greets them properly let them give him a treat.  That way he knows when you let people in the door and greet them a certain way they are ok people and that might help some of his anxiety.  But don't let him linger, then you tell him to go lay down, or go in the other room, or whatever.  I would definitely make it very clear to my mom and grandma that you will be the one to correct your dog if it ever needs to be done again!
And I would also tell grandma (granted, not talking about your dog right now, just in general) staring a dog down, although it is supposedly to show dominance, is not a good idea when it's not your dog.  What some people see as a nervous/anxious dog might actually end up being fearful and bite you in the face because he thinks he needs to protect himself.
You've got to admit though, families are a riot!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 05:33:21 pm »
Well That was just rude of your Grandmother! Max was just doing what he was supposed to do. Why do people think that Dogs don't have to act like dogs?! I would make your grandmother come over and yawn, it'll make her feel like a fool, but teach here there are things dogs do that "talk" to people and to each other. Max should feel a little more comfortable after a yawn and a treat!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 09:22:45 pm »
Your poor puppy! What a mean old grandma! Big dogs totally get a bad reputation just for being big. Personally I'm terrified of those little yippy ones. :-[

I have a brindle boxer/aussie mix with one blue eye and one brown eye who scares people all the time. Truth be told, she a big knuckle head and wouldn't hurt anyone. I had an old friend visit (one I hadn't seen in years) and when she came over, Tani (rhymes with "Bonnie") came running down the stairs to greet her. She screamed "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A PIT BULL!" and shut the door, and stood outside on my front porch! I put Tani and my greyhound in my room with the door shut so she could come in, but later regretted doing that. I should have let my dogs enjoy their home, and let her sit on the porch!

I'm new on the board, and if I figure out how to post pictures, I'll do that!

Give Max a hug for me, and tell him that next time grandma comes over he should give her a big wet kiss on the mouth!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python