Author Topic: NO!!! MAKE ME!!  (Read 6131 times)

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
NO!!! MAKE ME!!
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:05:36 pm »
Im not sure if this is a phase or if Spazz (now almost 6 months old) thinks Im just playing when i tell him something.  For instance...And this is the most annoying one.  When its time for bed (usually around 930-1030 for him)  Ill say "Spazz go to bed".  He will stop and look at me.  I mean his expression says, ARE YOU SERIOUS?.  I will say it 2-3 more times just to give him a chance to listen because he knows that means go into his crate for the night.  SO when he doesnt come I go to him.  He will proceed to lay on his side.  And wont get up.  I have to Drag him up by his collar just to get him to go to bed.  Now he is a good 70 pounds, and lifting him by the collar could hurt him or hurt myself.  He seems like he playing because he is Mouthing at my hands as they grab for his collar.  He doesnt bite me but he seems like he playing.  Not fun for me.  It really gets on my nerve I act like im running out of the room so he gets up to follow me then i grab his collar and put him to bed.

P.S.  Does anybody dogs step on your feet or on the back of your shoes, or is my dog just clumsy???

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: NO!!! MAKE ME!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:12:49 pm »
Just use a treat to lure him into his crate...and thell him waht a good boy he is.
My dog refuses to get up in the morning or at lunch when I am trying to get her to go out. I use her favorite cheese and she is up and running after it, lol
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:14:48 pm »
I would only ask him once and then direct him there, don't give him a chance to not listen. We have treats that are ONLY given at bedtime, special ones that he really likes so that bedtime is not a bad experience. The treats are in a tin on top of the crate and when its bed time he walks to the crate, stops, waits for his treat and then takes it inside with him. No more shoving into the crate which makes it far more pleasant. Also try giving kongs,bones and really yummy things in the crate with the door open at other times throughout the day. He can bring those treats out of the crate but has to go in to get them. It was a slow process here, a lot of repetition and determination on our part but my dog who hated his crate will now go in by himself and take his bone in to chew, no more crying either. You can try feeding him in there too if you like.
As for the lying down, if Spazz knows a stand command or does his sit command really well you can use those to get him up.
Just what has worked here, good luck, it takes awhile.

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:16:30 pm »
Regarding the ps....YES!!!!!  All 3 of them . I am actually sporting a nice wound on my heel right now from Puck  ::) Farley and Rosie are the worst offenders....e sp with flip flops the step on is usually followed by a quick goose too  ::)
because of the quick stop...lol

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:27:41 am »
Sounds like Spazz is getting into his teenage rebellion stage  :o  Every one of my fur kids has gone through a stage at around 6 months. 

As for stepping on my feet, or the back of my shoes, every morning, Maple steps on my feet, so she can be the first one out the door~!  Oh, and she is a Klutz too, so she runs into me from behind and has given me flat tires in both shoes and sandals LOL
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:48 am »
Oh the stepping on the back of the shoes is so ***&^&*%% irritating. Not one dog in this household has learned to not step on the back of my shoes. GRRRRR. I usually wear crocks so you hear this loud thwack as the shoe is released and slams against the bottom of my foot. Usually by the time that I have turned around, they have all scattered, but Jake is the worst.
As far as the crate- we just went thru that with Tug. He would go into his crate, wait long enough for you to fall asleep and then start barking. He knows if he barks I will let him out to potty. Recently with the Zoey issue- he has not even been put in his crate- He now thinks that he is a big dog and that he no longer needs the nite nite crate. He has been good- he sleeps with Bella usually and never makes a mess. So I guess he is done with sleeping in the crate.

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 03:08:51 am »
Oh yes, I have that problem with Otis who is now 7 months old, but it is for everything!!!  As soon as you touch his collar he is on the ground trying to get your hand.  He has actually been alittle agressive with it which has not been plesent.

As for the stepping on your shoes, Otis does that all the time, but he will also tackle you. He gets behind you and wraps his front leg around you and your down.  He is really bad at that with the kids.  Haven't been able to work through those things and truly hoping they are just the defiant stage.
so yup, I am in the same boat as you  :(
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:40:11 am »
Regarding the ps....YES!!!!!  All 3 of them . I am actually sporting a nice wound on my heel right now from Puck  ::) Farley and Rosie are the worst offenders....e sp with flip flops the step on is usually followed by a quick goose too  ::)
because of the quick stop...lol

Hahahahaha!  LMAO   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  (I am sorry about your heel though, but the step + goose really got me!  ;D)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:01 am »
Sometimes I'm convinced that Bo is a graduate of the Ghandi School of Dog Training.  When she doesn't want to go somewhere (or get a bath), she rolls over on her back & goes totally limp.  She goes from 130lbs of dog to 300lbs of dead weight!!  If I try to get her up, she just rolls away from me!  I thought she was the only one who did that, so I'm glad that there are others who have a member of the passive-resistance dog army in their house!

Speaking of tripping...whe n Bo wants to get your attention, she walks in-between your legs & hooks her front paw around your leg, either tripping you completely or making you stumble!  She mostly does it to my husband, but occasionally she'll do it to me!  Mostly when she wants to play at 2am after a potty break!!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:54 am »
Stepping on your shoes deal sounds like fun! Unfortunately Lily doesn't do it  :( Actually, now that I am thinking... I have never had a dog who would step on my shoes  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:51:25 am »
Sometimes I'm convinced that Bo is a graduate of the Ghandi School of Dog Training.  When she doesn't want to go somewhere (or get a bath), she rolls over on her back & goes totally limp.  She goes from 130lbs of dog to 300lbs of dead weight!!  If I try to get her up, she just rolls away from me!  I thought she was the only one who did that, so I'm glad that there are others who have a member of the passive-resistance dog army in their house!

Speaking of tripping...whe n Bo wants to get your attention, she walks in-between your legs & hooks her front paw around your leg, either tripping you completely or making you stumble!  She mostly does it to my husband, but occasionally she'll do it to me!  Mostly when she wants to play at 2am after a potty break!!

Awww Bo, you silly girl!  That "passive-resistance" thing is such a common Pyr trait (and one of the many reasons that I'm hooked for life). ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 03:55:43 am »
When she doesn't want to go somewhere (or get a bath), she rolls over on her back & goes totally limp.  She goes from 130lbs of dog to 300lbs of dead weight!!  If I try to get her up, she just rolls away from me!  I thought she was the only one who did that, so I'm glad that there are others who have a member of the passive-resistance dog army in their house!

Maple does the dead weight thing too~! LOL LOL 
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline Tian

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:50 am »
Buddy, my nearly-7 Saint did the passive-resistance thing for a while, but it was a passing phase.  The advice given here is what worked for us:  tell him once, then MAKE him do it.

The throw-the-treat in the crate worked for us with a  shep/lab/newf cross we had years ago.

As for the PS, while Buddy doesn't walk on the back of our shoes (and this is because he is never content walking behind us, he must be beside us, preferably in between us lol) he does tend to step on my toes regularly...si nce he's 150 lbs, it's rather painful...he can be clumsy, but usually when he wants to be.

The 'passive resistance dog army' really cracked me up.  It's fun to hear of other breeds 'traits'.

Ti'an

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 04:20:50 am »
Oh I feel your pain,Tub is 8 mths old and is 100% punk!!!His night time attitude is I'm outside and you can't make me come in. Well that is until I go to the fridge and find a nice tempting treat and then he has no problem coming in.Sometimes I'm real tired and just plain evil,I will go turn the microwave on and when it beeps it's done in he comes running only to find an empty microwave and the door shut behind him ;D And yes my boys think it is proper etiquette to walk on Mom's shoes.Or to grab the toe of it when Mom has a both handsful of bird dishes walking up the stairs.That is why the sandals I'm wearing have a big bite out of the front,I just call them my custom made Saint Bernard Sandals :D
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:21:21 am »
I had the same problem with Bubba refusing to get up. At first I used to lift him up but that only lasted for so long. hahahaahah

So I taught him the "UP" command. It's rather easy to teach. Start off with your dog in a down and grab their collar and say "up". If he stands he gets a treat, if he doesn't he gets nothing. He figured it out pretty quick. Now I just touch his collar and say "up" and he gets up immediately. No more trying to peel a dead weight nard off the floor.  :D