Author Topic: Did I adopt a Newfie?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline phaven

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Did I adopt a Newfie?
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »
Hi Everyone!  I just adopted a puppy from my county's shelter, and they listed him as a 4 month old Retriever Mix.  Ever since I've had him home though, I continue to get the feeling he's actually more of a Newfoundland than anything else.  Pictures of Newfie puppies are the ones that look most similar, and he exhibits all the personality traits that I've read about in Newfies &/or Newfie puppies.

At 4-months, he's 40 pounds, and 20 inches at the shoulder.  I'm wondering if anyone else can chime in on what I actually have... thanks for you help!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Did I adopt a Newfie?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:12:20 pm »
don't quote me, but he looks like he's either got newfie in him, or he's got flat coated retriever in him.  Our friends have a long haired flat coated retriever who is almost a spitting image of newfie/lab mix.  Definately a cutie and congrats on your new addition! :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:12:36 pm by Fumble »
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline phaven

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:36:14 pm »
I appreciate the feedback! Flat Coated Retriever is the other breed that seemed likely.  Any guesses on adult size for a male dog that's 4-months, 40 lbs, and 20 inches?

Thanks,

Philip

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:50 pm »
Sounds like you'll have fun with him in the "What kind of dog is that?" department.  He sure is a cutie!  Keep those pics coming.  We'll all be glad to offer our opinions as he grows!  Welcome to BPO!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:41:10 pm »
Well he is absolutely adorable I want to pick him up and give him a big hug!!

I have a flat coat and that isn't what he looked like as a pup he was totally leggy with a peanut head with a large proturding bump on it (that is a flat coat thing). 

But I do see alot of newfie in flat coats (it is part of the original breed)  Many times when I look at the newfies on this site I say to myself that looks just like a Harley face.

So maybe your pup is a retriever, newfie mix or a retriever flat coat mix but he sure is cute and a keeper :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:44 pm »
Post some more pics- especially of his head. Newfies have a very distinct head and facial features and if he is a mix it may be very easy to tell. My Newfie mix has more of the Newfie head than a Golden retriever head. She is one of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of living with, as I speak she is laying by my feet.