Author Topic: How could this happen? My poor kitty!  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
How could this happen? My poor kitty!
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:03:40 am »
So, most of you know I am in the middle of getting a divorce. My soon-to-be-ex is living in my house (and I'm still paying the mortgage) and he's supposed to be taking care of the cats and dogs.

I went over to check on them the other day and I found my cat Ozone in the neighbor's driveway looking like this:

He was covered in fleas from nose to tail and looked like a walking skeleton. He had hair missing on his head and tail. Needless to say, I scooped him up and brought him back to the apartment (landlord be damned!).

He ate well Friday and Saturday. I supplemented some canned food with Nutrical. His poop, while small, looked really good, but last night he peed on his pillow and threw up a little. He is also not moving much today so we are on our way to the vet in a few minutes.

Keep Ozone in your thoughts. I'll let you know what happens when we get back.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:05:51 am by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How could this happen? My poor kitty!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:12:15 am »
awww, poor guy. we're thinkin about him. nothing but good happy thoughts...
Keep us posted
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 01:19:56 am »
Aww poor  guy...   I hope he will be ok 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:44:24 am »
Oh poor Ozone - I have my fingers, toes and Harleys paws crossed that everything goes well and he is just dehydrated and hungry  :(

We will be keeping you and Ozone in our thoughts!

Please let us know what is going on

Randy & Harley

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 02:56:09 am »
That is absolutely criminal!!! I don't know you, obviously, or the circumstances of your divorce, i.e. how smoothly it's going or if it's really ugly, but THAT kind of animal neglect is inexcusable and should be punished. Is there anything you can do, like file a complaint with animal control? I guess that would risk them confiscating your puppies, though. It's so heartbreaking!!!! I can't believe that. Do you think he intentionally neglected Ozone, or could there be some kind of weak excuse that MIGHT begin to explain it?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 03:06:45 am »
Awwww, poor little guy!  :(  Sending tons of get well vibes his way.

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 03:13:44 am »
Oh no, poor Ozone... :-\ I sure hope he is ok, poor little guy! I'm sending positive vibes and prayers his way (and yours'), I hope he turns out to be just fine  ;)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 04:10:36 am »
Poor Ozone!  He looks like my first cat Ruger.  I don't want to scare you but I would have the vet do a kidney panel on Ozone.  Even though you saw him pee on his pillow.  Ruger had a kidney injury when he was a younger cat and we managed it until he was around 10yo.  Then his kidneys slowly shut down and he looked like Ozone.  We were able to manage it with a prescription kidney food.  Good thoughts for Ozone and for you.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 04:31:08 am »
Just got back from the vet. She couldn't get blood from him at all except from his jugular and she barely got enough there.

Here's the good news:

Feline Leuk/Aids test is negative.
Bloodwork shows his organs are all probably OK.

The bad news:
His red blood cell count is at 10% when it should be 35-40% At 15% they need a blood transfusion at or below 10% it's considered critical/life threatening.

He is very anemic from all the fleas that were on him.

He has some kind of a mass in his intestines. It may just be stool that hasn't passed yet or may be something else.

His kidneys look fine.

His glucose level was low, probably from dehydration and anemia. His liver enzymes were high, possibly from the anemia as well.

So, here's what she's gonna do. He is being prepped as we speak for a blood transfusion. She wanted to do xrays on his intestines, too, but I told her to hold off until after the blood transfusion and see if he started pooping again, then check and see if she can still feel that mass. If so, go ahead and do the xrays. As it is, the ER visit, blood transfusion, blood tests, fecal test, etc. is going to cost me around $600. OUCH!!!

I hesitate to call animal control to report this, because I'm afraid they will confiscate the rest of the animals and I don't have anywhere to put them until the sale on the new house goes through.

The vet should call me later tonight after the blood transfusion. Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'll let you know what happens.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 04:35:52 am »
How long has it been since you saw him last? My cat, Thomas, lost weight over a weekend, literally. Sometimes when it's something serious, it can happen fast. It turned out that he has cancer, and unfortunately was given a very grim outlook and put on steriods for the pain and to increase his appetite. Well, it turns out he's supercat, and he's outlived the dr's expectations by 6 months already. In fact, I took him in for a follow-up ultrasound in March, and his two of his three tumors had shrunk and the third one had completely disappeared.

On the other hand, he once lost weight fairly quickly b/c he'd eaten a large part of a plastic bag (he likes to eat plastic bags, certain shower curtains, etc, so we have to keep that stuff away from him). The vet ran all kinds of tests and kept him overnight to run more tests, b/c nothing seemed out of place. The next morning when they got to work, he had a hairball of plastic in his pen. They called and said they'd found the problem.   ::) In fact, when the dr called about the "mass" he found with cancer (you could feel the biggest tumor), I asked if he was sure it wasn't plastic. This was a different vet than the one who dealt with the plastic, so I'm sure he was puzzled by that question!

My family had a cat that showed up at our house when I was 17. She was a little dim. My dad insisted that their cats be mostly outdoor animals (inside to eat and, of course, whenever he wasn't around... lol), and she wandered off one day. She came back a couple of weeks later, I believe, very skinny and looking awful. It was very strange.

So you never know. Hopefully the mass is just something he hasn't passed yet. Did they recommend cat laxative, like the stuff you use to get them to pass hairballs instead of throwing them up?

Hang in there, Ozone.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 04:37:21 am »
poor ozone, im glad that you found him when you did. it's so terrible that you're are having to go through this. i hope you are able to move in to your new house soon.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 04:43:14 am »
When I checked on the pets about a week 1/2 ago, I noticed Ozone was very thin. I made a point to go feed him myself for a few days after that, but got busy and didn't want to go when Johann would be there.

I am fairly confident that most of his weight loss and lethargy has to do with the anemia from the fleas. I'm hoping this mass she felt in his intestines is nothing more than stool.

It's funny that Macybean mentions plastic because Ozone LOVES to lick plastic bags. I don't know what it is about them. But he had been out on the enclosed porch and there wasn't much around there he could have gotten into.

I sent Johann a text message about how sick he is. He said Ozone had gotten out of the porch and he hadn't seen him in awhile. He couldn't have been gone for more than a few days, though because I saw him a few days ago in the porch. I told him how much the vet bill was going to be and that's when he stopped responding to my text messages.

Figures.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 05:25:05 am »
Thanks Jenn - and everyone! You don't know how much better it makes me feel to hear that others have gone through similar situations and come out OK. I trust my vet implicitly. She is very thorough and dedicated.

However, I hope he doesn't need more than one transfusion. I can barely afford the one, but whatever it takes, I'll find a way.

Anyone need a dining room set? Computer desk? 2000 Kia Sportage?

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 09:08:11 am »
Poor Ozone...Sendin g you and him my thoughts.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Icerotti

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 10:58:53 pm »
Poor Ozone..sending healing thoughts his way :-*