Author Topic: A great link about outdoor dogs  (Read 5605 times)

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
A great link about outdoor dogs
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:30:00 am »
Hi all,
Recently I've noticed a trend in posts about "outdoor" dogs.  Having spent a great deal of time in the south, I came to see a lot of these kind of dogs coming into the clinic where I worked.  While there was the 1% that were well adjusted and well cared for, I would say 99% had some (if not most) of the issues described in the following link.  This is one of the best I have found yet. 
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BackyardDogs.php

and another:
http://www.peoriahs.org/awfuloutdoors.html

Humane societies and shelters won't adopt out puppies and dogs to individuals who inform them that they are planning on keeping their pets outdoors. This alone should set off warning bells to an unacceptable and outdated behavior.  Please take the time to read the links and pass them onto whomever you think could use them. 
-Dan

-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: A great link about outdoor dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:37:52 am »
thank u 4 posting
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 12:05:02 pm »
Not to mention the precise timing that you need when correcting a behavioral issue that can only be had when a dog is a constant part of your family.
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
www.dogguide.n et

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:12 am »
i believe that there is more than one right way to raise and keep a dog. i believe that it's possible for outdoor dogs to be kept correctly (even if they are in the minority). and i believe that it's possible for an indoor dog to be raised incorrectly. just like with the topic about dogs atacking people. it's all up to the owner. there's more than one way to do something right. and there's more than one way to do something wrong.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:03:07 am »
Sure there are always right and wrong ways and variables of each. I think that the great thing about the link was that it outlined some very important issues that are just kind of...black and white. Undisputable. Just things for people to think about, you know?

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:09:34 am »
i agree. the purpose of this topic is not to point out who's dog is raised better than so and so's
i think it says a great deal about all of our care and devotion to our puppers-the fact that were on this site almost every day talking about them. ;D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 12:09:49 am »
Excellent article, i hope everyone reads it. Even those who choose to keep their dogs outside may pick up some helpful tips to make it a more comfortable environment for their dog.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:17:02 am »
ThatDuckyBoy,  Thank you for the links im printing them  off to get hubby to read sence he believe the  best  place for big dogs is out side it has been a growing  arguement in are house lately sence we got  zeus. I have been  letting  him in the house  for small periods  durring the day when  he is not home  and  he has  yet to have a accident in doors. HE loves being inside .. here   is a pic of zeus not wanting to come out lmao   he wouldn't  leave the open door   when we were outside I  had to bribe, him. I my self have allway s had outdoor dogs  but  woudl  come in  when the weather was to hot  or to cold, Hubby grew up with no animals at all in the house.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 03:47:25 am »
Great articles Dan! 

I have always allowed my dogs inside while I'm home, and had a fenced kennel for them outside for while I'm at work (nice big covered section with "outside" beds and shade etc...)Basically, they sleep the whole time I'm at work, then come in the house and have free run the rest of the time (I leave the back door open). And, they spend the night inside, so that they don't get attacked by the raccoons or kill too many 'possums.

I have had one dog though (a husky/wolf/GSD), that did not like being in the house, and would sleep outside because HE wanted to.  In fact, once while we were out in our RV, he refused to come in for the night and slept out in the snow, and I got an earful from fellow RV'rs who saw him on his outside bed covered in snow.  Of course, he was happy as could be   :)
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:00 am »
I'm glad everyone is finding them useful and hopefully learning something!  That is exactly the point!  Sometimes even when we think we have gone over every aspect of a situation, it takes another individuals prospective to find those that we missed. Maybe some puppers will be able to enjoy a bit more of "the good life" of the indoors because of these...

-Dan
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
www.dogguide.n et

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:19:06 am »
Great articles Dan! 

I have always allowed my dogs inside while I'm home, and had a fenced kennel for them outside for while I'm at work (nice big covered section with "outside" beds and shade etc...)Basically, they sleep the whole time I'm at work, then come in the house and have free run the rest of the time (I leave the back door open). And, they spend the night inside, so that they don't get attacked by the raccoons or kill too many 'possums.

I have had one dog though (a husky/wolf/GSD), that did not like being in the house, and would sleep outside because HE wanted to.  In fact, once while we were out in our RV, he refused to come in for the night and slept out in the snow, and I got an earful from fellow RV'rs who saw him on his outside bed covered in snow.  Of course, he was happy as could be   :)

Are husky was the same way, if we  tried to get  her in the house she practically took it as punish ment she wouldnt  even  slep in the dog house on the coldest blizzarding days in the winter she would be in the middle of the yard.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti