Hounds > Greyhound Discussions & Pictures

Adopting a Greyhound??

(1/5) > >>

RottiMommyAL:
Living in south Florida with 2 Greyhound race tracks in our area I am trying to talk my sister into adopting a retired racer.  There is an adoption center for Greys about an hours drive from our home.  My sister says thats kind of far.  Coming from a woman who traveled all the way to China to adopt her twin daughters.  Whats an hour out of your way?
Anywho, what kind of tips or advise would you give someone who is thinking of adopting??
Thanks in advance for any help! :-*

imogen:
Adopting Retired Greyhound for Dummies book is EXCELLENT!

READ READ READ is my advice. Also TALK TALK TALK to people who have already adopted one (message boards too)

I thought I had read everything and was ready after about 2 months. I was wrong. These dogs aren't like normal dogs. They are really more like children. They can't be left alone, tied to a run or anything like that... you have to be really prepared.

Send her my direction on here if you'd like to. I'm still learning but I can give her some VERY important dos and don'ts which are fresh in my mind.

They are gorgeous pooches and I'm going to adopt another this weekend, so thats testament to how fantastic they are ;) but they are very 'special' and need a different kind of care if you're considering putting them into a household 'pet' situation.

What does everyone else think?
Imogen

mastiffmommy:
I have seen shows on Animal Planet about these dogs and they seem to be wonderful dogs, not at all as hyper as you would think, but also very different so to have imogen to turn to, who already have adopted would be a wonderful help for anyone who is concidering adopting.

Imogen..... You have to post pics of your new baby when home, I am sure you are very excited, I know I would be

Marit

imogen:
These doggies are JUST BEAUTIFUL.

Gingko lets my partner's boys (aged 7 and 10) crawl through his legs and smooch up to him. He's a gorgeous boy. ESPECIALLY considering that he had no human contact for the first 12 months of his life (don't ask me why they train them like that!)

They aren't hyper at all... unless you get a puppy. Gingko was about 18 months old when I got him and spends about 23 hours of the day sleeping, 40 mins awake and wandering around and being with us and 20 minutes doing zoomies around the lawn at top speed! They really only need 2 x 15-20 minute walks a day to stretch their legs.

I'll post pics of the new boy. He is a big spunky thing. I'm just about bouncing out of my skin in anticipation! Four more sleeps! ;D

GreytGirl:
We got Madison when she was... 14 weeks old (baby baby baby!) and have watched her grow into a wonderful dog.  They puppy process was no worse than having another puppy of a different breed, it's just that most people that want to adopt haven't had a puppy before.  That was WAY off track... now to jump back on.
-clears throat-

Greys are WONDERFUL dogs with personalities that range from introvert to extrovert (like people), sweet, sassy, you name it there is a grey that will fit WHATEVER lifestyle you have.  What I would tell your sister straight off is that these dogs are like no other,  after having a greyhound you will most likely never adopt another kind of dog, they are addictive!  They don't call them the potato chip dogs for nothing, once you have one, you have to have more.  Each dog has a story, and if you just take a second to look into those heart wrenching eyes of theirs, you'll never be able to walk away. (Poetic, no?  ;))
They do come with limits though, that EVERYONE needs to know.  No off leashing unless in an enclosed area (they will out run you... don't doubt that), and some have special needs (ex.  Glucosamine for their joints, thyroid medecine, etc.), some of them are not cat safe, small dog safe, or small children safe.  Which makes sense if you think about it small dogs/ cats : they were trained from puppyhood to chase a fuzzy bunny... fuzzy kitty= fuzzy bunny.  Small children:  a vast majority have never met with or had to deal with the constant tugging and pulling that little kids often do to dogs, I'm sure it's frustrating and they might lash out.

Those little sidenotes are enough to make someone walk away from adoption, but before she makes her mind, remind your sister that the adoption/ rescue organization will most likely find a dog to fit her home/needs/lifestyle.  They may be big and scary looking at first, but their hearts are even bigger and so is their need.

A little example about finding a dog to fit you, we foster dogs off the track until they find a new home and we don't take dogs that are not cat safe.  The three cats that own the house mean so much to everyone and are part of the family, we would rather watch a wonderful dog (that isn't cat safe) go to someone else until he/she finds a new home than endanger our fuzzy felines.  Because we made the request for only cat safe dogs, that's all we get, and the organization was more than happy to accomidate us. 

Another book written, haha, but yeah.  There is so much you don't know about these awesome dogs, I suggest purchasing (or getting for the library) Adopting a Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Brannigan  (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it...) it's got some nice tid bits of information to get you (or your sister for that matter) started off, it's kind of like your first baby... you learn by trial and error. (Not that I've had a baby... but believe you me, I know, haha)

And NOW, I'm done, I swear!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version