Author Topic: Adopting a Greyhound??  (Read 17348 times)

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
Re: Adopting a Greyhound??
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 02:40:49 am »
I'm very close to getting a greyhound (should have one by end of October) I was curious about Wildlonewolf's comment about living in a small apartment and having 2 greys! Impressive! I've been a bit concerned about my 730 square foot apartment for one dog let alone 2! I'd love to know what your experience has been with the dogs in a small space. Have you had any issues? Thanks for your time.

I had no problems at all with both dogs in my apartment. (I moved to a house a couple of weeks ago) Remember a grey sleeps alot. I walked the dogs many times during the day, to offset the fact that they are in a small place. As long as you have space for them to stretch out, you will be fine in your apartment. Lite was adopted just before I moved, so I just have Lucy (my dog) here. It's been interesting to watch her adjust to a house....(Much more room here in the house!)
Yesterday I returned to the apartment to hand in my keys, and looked around...... I can't believe I had all my stuff and two dogs living there! Wow! It's that small!

Good Luck with your pup!

Renee & Lucy!

Offline Hound

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Trail Bound Hounds of S.eastern Ma, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 05:59:27 pm »
About living in small spaces.
A friend of mine lived in a 320sft studio apt in brooklyn, NY.  She has 1 greyhound and often fostered a 2nd.  Remember, they fold up small. ;)
Trail Bound Hounds of Southeastern MA, Inc.
www.trailbound hounds.org
Trail Bound Hounds - Dogs and their People walking together.  Join us for a walk!

Offline GreytXpectations

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 08:59:13 am »
About living in small spaces.
A friend of mine lived in a 320sft studio apt in brooklyn, NY. She has 1 greyhound and often fostered a 2nd. Remember, they fold up small. ;)
Your friend's place makes my condo sound palatial! Thanks for the input. I'm really excited about the prospect of getting one of these dogs. There are three in my neighbourhood that I've seen so far and I suspect they all live in condos as I live in the heart of an urban city.  I chatted with one owner the other day and while her home is a bit larger than mine she confirmed what you said about their ability to 'fold.'

Offline GreytXpectations

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 09:06:19 am »
Hi Renee:
Congratulation s on your new home!  And thanks for your response. One more question (who am I kidding--I'm sure I'll have many more!) When you lived in your apartment how often were you able to take the dogs to a secure, enclosed area for a free run? I'm in the midst of tracking similar areas down where I live.

Offline KesDoo

• Gnawer
  • Dooley the Greyhound and Kes the Lab X 's Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 02:27:54 pm »
Hi Newbie Here,
I have 2 dogs and live in a wee 1 bedroom flat, Dooley was supposed to be yet another foster dog, but he stuck!  He is not an ex racer but was an abandoned Puppy, that I thought was a was a whippet X, but he grew and grew and grew into a large handsome Grey, (32" at the shoulder!)  He must have been arround 4 months when I got him and is a very spoilt, lazy and very cuddley delight. He is now 3 and hopefully has finally stopped growing...  My other dog is an elderly Lab X (14) who tolerates him, barely.  But he loves her!  His best pal is my friends Papillion and also her cat!  He has NO kill instinct, to the point that the Rabbits on my father's farm, don't bother to run when they see him galloping towards them!  In fact I have seen him on more than one occaison licking the wild rabbits as he walks allong side them!!  To say he is not normal and little backward is not overstating it.  And he in that particular case is not following standard Grey behaviour, but we all love him, (except Kes the Lab x)
I would reccomend the breed to anyone with patience and a lot of love to give and he has given me and mine a lot a happiness, and made us laugh ot loud on many occaisons.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 02:44:52 pm »
Welcome aboard KesDoo! I'm April and I have an eight month old great pyrenees named Kiah. My friend has a greyhound and he's the nicest softest dog I have ever meet.