Author Topic: Firts time here--need help for my dog  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Vick

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Firts time here--need help for my dog
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:14:11 pm »
Hello to all,

Great site, happy I found it. My mountain pyrennes dog is 6 years old. Good, calm dog, never been on a leash and always stays at home. Every night, we bring him in to sleep (in the garage which is stuck to our house so he can still see us throught the window) around 9 or 10 pm. Three nights ago, I came home around 11:30 pm and realised that he had gone down the road to a neighbors house (people were still outside around a fire). He went to see the people and then went to sleep in their garage (the door was open). I presume he "waited for me" but when I didn'T come home when I was supposed to, he went ehere there were people. When I went to get him, he didn't want to follow me !. I literally had to drag him up the hill and when he sort of recognised our house, he ran the rest of the way. Then, last night, it was really raining with thunder and all, so we brought him in the garage, but he kept whining to go out--I found this strange but let him out and he immediatley ran back down the road to our neighbord where he had gone 3 nights ago ! I then had to take my car and go get him because I knew I would of had to drag him back up ! I dont know why he's doing this--we treat him better than a human--I hope it's just that the 3 nights ago, he got scared ? to be alone and went where there was people and felt comfortable so he wanted to go back ? I dont get it, we're his familly--he should feel safe when we're there and not whine so he can get out and leave ? Maybe they fed him ?? Is it possible that dogs have alzheimer ? Please help !

Saint Butterfly

Re: Firts time here--need help for my dog
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:35:01 pm »
Hello,

My name is Shell, I am the partner of a 4 year Saint named Butterfly, And a crazy Bassett pup named Honey bee.

Funny your story sounds like a Dog in my neighborhood.. We often have neighbor dogs come and hang out with us by our fire, But mostly because we already have a Dog, and they are all friends, and maybe some because we do feed them treats while they here.

Does your neighbor have a Dog, Maybe a Female dog?.. How do they feel about your Dog coming around?

Why do you keep your Dog in the Garage, and not in the house?.. Maybe that could be a Problem as well. Maybe your dog needs to be around people. Which is a good quality to have in a dog. Maybe you can try having your Dog in the house with you more.

That Does not mean your Dog will not still try to go and see the neighbors, But if your neighbors are annoyed by it you may have to come up with a way to keep him in your yard.

Don't worry i don't think your dog is trying to abandon you, and find new people to Love, But maybe some extra attention from his Family is what he needs right now.

Good luck,
Shell
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:38:15 pm by Saint Butterfly »

Offline Vick

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 01:44:49 am »
I want to let everyone know that I probably used the wrong term (garage)--in fact, a car doesn't even fit in it--it's kind of an extremely big dog house--he's been sleeping there for years--always wants to go in. Like I said, we absolutely love our dog, there's always someone with him and I think he's just the biggest baby in the world !

But i do think you're right---he probably wants to sleep in the house with us--which i'll do--and I guess also he might be scared (before he would litteraly sleep under thunder when it would rain--but as he gets older, he seems to be more afraid and needs more "hugging" when it's raining or dark or thunder--you know, all those noises that makes 'em go under the table...) Anyway, I appreciate your comments---I'll be more attentive...

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 05:10:14 am »
Hello to all,

I dont know why he's doing this--we treat him better than a human--I hope it's just that the 3 nights ago, he got scared ? to be alone and went where there was people and felt comfortable so he wanted to go back ? I dont get it, we're his familly--he should feel safe when we're there and not whine so he can get out and leave ?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but think it is appropriate here:  do you make a human sleep in the garage?  A dark garage is not a positive place for a dog - your dog would be happier outside under the stars and in fresh air - but most happy with humans as he is clearly showing you. It sounds like he is seeking a more comfortable place because he is isolated at home.  It is also likely that something has happened in the garage, or how he is put in the garage, that carries such negative conotation that he fears it and doesn't want to be in there. You say he should feel safe with his family, but it doesn't sound like he is with his family - he is in a garage alone.

Regardless of the cause, his message is clear.  He is not happy there and wants to be with people - any people.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:28:45 am »
I want to let everyone know that I probably used the wrong term (garage)--in fact, a car doesn't even fit in it--it's kind of an extremely big dog house--he's been sleeping there for years--always wants to go in. Like I said, we absolutely love our dog, there's always someone with him and I think he's just the biggest baby in the world !

But i do think you're right---he probably wants to sleep in the house with us--which i'll do--and I guess also he might be scared (before he would litteraly sleep under thunder when it would rain--but as he gets older, he seems to be more afraid and needs more "hugging" when it's raining or dark or thunder--you know, all those noises that makes 'em go under the table...) Anyway, I appreciate your comments---I'll be more attentive...

Hi Vick, I missed this before but I wanted to welcome you to BPO and I hope that you post more stories (and pics, too) of your boy.  I'm the mom to 3 kids, 3 dogs and our kitties.  Our little dog pack consists of Daisy our 8 y/o Golden Ret/Lab mix, Sammy our 5 y/o neutered male Pyr and Cassie our 2 y/o Pyr + a little something extra.   ;D  Halley & Cara were our sweet Pyr girls that are at the Bridge now.  Cara was our first Pyr that we got 17 1/2 yrs ago now and we've been hooked ever since.  Many people think of Pyrs as being solitary and aloof, maybe b/c they are so low key that they don't tend to push for affection like some breeds will.  Also since they were bred for livestock guardian purposes people commonly think that they are happiest outside.  Mine though fairly calm & low-key are also extremely affectionate and their favorite thing to do is to snore in the corner of the room that we're in (that is if they're not on the sofa with their heads in our laps).  ;D   We adopted Cassie in February and she's taught everyone that the sofas are really comfy and a great way to snuggle with us humans!   ;D  Anyway, I'm glad that you found us and it's great that your boy will be coming in to keep you company.  I'm sure that you'll both enjoy it.  ;D   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 06:31:36 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees