Author Topic: In the kennel.. Updated..June 30  (Read 12377 times)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
Re: In the kennel
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 04:40:30 am »
Remy did that too, I remember I got in the kennel with him once (and then my sister locked it, we won't get into that ;D lol) and he was much better for going in. I don't know if that's what I was 'supposed' to do, but it kinda work lol After he go a bit better, I would throw his favourite ball right to the back so he would want to and have to go in all the way. I worked up to the in/out sessions, maybe let him be a bit more comfortable going in his crate before you try that method.

(I posted this pic before, but I thought it would be appropriate)

You know  I may have to try that, Ill  have to get  hubby to lock me in haha  Or maybe ill just  shut the door  when im in there.   Ethan went  in my  3 yr old and  zeus seen him and kinda nooded  his head side to side liek what is that boy doin lol  Ill keep trying I was just going to work with him again but  he is asleep on the step outdside and doesnt want to move its a nice  day today not to hot or not to cold.  Ill probley  work more on it tonight once the  munchkins are in bed
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 05:16:57 am »
Welp  I  fit in the kennel  And  zeus fits in the kennel BUt  It is  a tight  squeeze lmao Im  5'9 so yeah and after havin  two  kiddos my  bum is no longer a small one lmao  So i tried it  HE came in with  me  with alot of incourage  lol I   even  pertended to cry in the kennel so  he  ofcourse had to come and give me a kiss. BUt   Getting out was another  story  getting in was a little difficult  but getting out was  probley  hilarious thankfully  i did it with hubby not home  cuz I  oculd  kjust hear him laughing at me lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 05:33:00 am »
oh boy the things we do for our pups!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 05:45:27 am »
oh boy the things we do for our pups!

haha you got that right. 
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 05:04:06 am »
I would also try feeding him his meals in there. To show him like ooooh I get food in here! I would also get a kong and put peanut butter in it and freeze it then put it in the kennel with him as a distraction (that will last a little longer than regular treats). I would also do like 10 min here, then 20, then 40 then 1 hour and work your way up. Good luck!

A second thumbs up for this advice - this is critical.  The key to adjusting to a crate is having the dog view it positively - like a safe den - and not negative confinement. You do not want to ignore the crying at all.

To start, leave the door open and feed all meals in the crate. Put the dish at the back of the crate so he must walk in fully to eat. After several days, start shutting the door while he eats - "see no big deal". Next, start stuffing a kong and putting that in and shutting the door for just 5 minutes while he eats.  Slowly, and gradually build up by going to 7 minutes and then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes. Always leave him in there with a stuffed kong and something to occupy his mind.  Ensure that he feels confident and secure in there for a couple of hour stints by working up to that.

If properly socialized to a crate, dogs will happily accept them - but they must always be used positively.  It can never be the punishment place or the place he is sent for time outs or quiet.  Location of the crate is critical as well and should not be isolated.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 11:09:15 pm »

Update...
Last  night  was day 2 in kennel over  night. 
night  1.
HE did ok I  used the blanket over the kennel.  Well Iactually  stuck a house coat I allways  wear over the daoor  and a sweater over the one set of  screens.  HE  came in   he went in there layed  down.. I was so happy  with him.. OF course i said "Bed time"  Got him to sit in it and  gave him a treat. I  probley  got him to go in and out  of the kennel   about  a 100 times  that  evening though.  HE slept in it from  11pm - 1 am  When he started crying I went over to him and he ran  straight to the door and when he seen the cat in his dog house outside  he RAn in to it  to sleep  with the cat.

NIght 2 last night.
HE  did  awsome.  I let him out  for a good hour before  bed HUBBY let him in  I  WAS  SUPRISED  i  will say.  I bought him a kong  yesterday and a couple  toys to  keep in thehouse  from the  pet store yesterday. So when I said  time for bed We walked over to the  kennel he went in  gave him a treat showed him his kong *  he played with  it the whole  evening  before  so  he new  there was  yummies in it.  HE went right in  layed down I shut the door he.  I covered it all up  for h im and never  heard anything till  6:00am  WOOOHOOOO  and  even  at  6 it was a littl whimper he had to  go potty. good boy  and we went  straight outside.. 

ONe  person Im  really suprised with is hubby  he was so against having Zeus in the house and now he is the  one letting him in. NOw i Just  need to get him * hubby*  to listen to the rules.  Zeus isnt  house trained so when in the house HE needs to be put on his leash. BUT Im glad  hubby is ok with it now its notso stressfull now for  all of us  when  Zeus is in.   

~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: In the kennel.. Updated..June 30
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 11:17:34 pm »
that's great! how old is zeus now? boog's 3 months old and im up every 3 hours with him goin out side, and sometimes he doesnt even ask to go out at all he just pees in the kennel and then wants out. so ive been setting my alarm to get up in the night. glad to hear youre having an easier go of things than i am.

it's awesome that his house training is going so well too. my hubby doesnt follow all the doggy house rules either, so i can relate to you there. hope every thing keeps going so good!!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:16 pm »
Zeus  will be  3 months  on the 1 of july.  We werent  exactly  sure when his DOB  was  But  knew it was  end of march  begining of April so  we just desided April fools day  would be a good day.   Are pom we had was terrible  for potting He woudl seriously  poo in his kennel and  hid it under his blankey  lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 11:46:54 pm »
well boog's been much more inclined to piddle in the kennel when there is a blankey inside, so for the past couple days there's been no blankey, and he's done better. but last night at 2:50 guess what???? i had my alarm set for 3:00, couldnt he have waited 10 minutes ::) oh well. well just try again tomorrow night.
    boog hasnt poo'd in his kennel but once, and that was within the first couple days of being home. he since hasnt done it, and will always ask to go out if it's a poo he has to take. so im glad that at least im only having to deal with #1 and not #2. and i cant imagine seeing one of my puppers hiding a poo under a blankey...haha ha. im sorry, it prabably wasnt funny at the time. but it sounds so hilarious!!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 12:21:57 am »
Hehe  yeah at the time it  wasnt  tooo funny lol..  The hidden poo.  Overal  the house training with  are pom was pretty  good He  had a couple  accidents, but  he allways wanted to go out side  so  we never  had a problem  I think He thought i he  was a big ol  great dane  or mastif sometimes. When I  brought my  daughter  home  from the hospital,  the baby nurse came over to see how I was doing etc.. well I just  let  zeus out  before that  and   she had to  honk her  horn  my lil  stinker  wouldnt  let  her in the house haha.. MAn I miss that  lil guy.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 01:25:34 am »
it seems like the best of them never are with us long enough :(
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 01:40:25 am »
I'm really happy Zeus is doing well in his crate! yay! :D I'm also happy he's inside more, just you wait until he's up on the bed!!!! ;D  ;) Hubby will be so surprised one morning! lol
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 01:59:27 am »
I'm really happy Zeus is doing well in his crate! yay! :D I'm also happy he's inside more, just you wait until he's up on the bed!!!! ;D  ;) Hubby will be so surprised one morning! lol

LOL i tried  having  are  ol'  pom on the bed  but  that was a nono  when  sheldon  was home lmao  Only allowed on  bed when  daddy  gone for the night lmao
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 02:02:21 am »
haha, Zeus will probably look forward to the nights hubby isn't home! lol It the opposite here, Remy likes to be on the floor whereas I want him on the bed! lol
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 02:06:22 am »
haha, Zeus will probably look forward to the nights hubby isn't home! lol It the opposite here, Remy likes to be on the floor whereas I want him on the bed! lol

LOL  when I was  younger  max my  grams Dobbie woudl always  come sleep  with  me he was a giant bed hog I woudl allways end up on the floor on his bed lol
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti